News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 Oil Filter Which one to use?

Started by ipstrategies, November 08, 2005, 12:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipstrategies

I am going to change the oil in my charger and do not want to use a fram filter. what are some better options and where can they be purchased?
Thanks for help as alwyas.

Russ
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Ghoste

This one should bring some opinions.  :)  There is supposed to be some merit in using a variety of ones and it seems like what is good this time turns out to be a bad choice according to some internet study a year later.
I use the K&N one on my car.  Yes, it's grossly overpriced but it seems to work fine and offer the "features" the various internet oil filters studies say we must have.  I have no problem buying overpriced fuel for the car so I can't whine about an oil filter. 

Chryco Psycho

Anything is better , I use the Mopar filters , or K7N the best iiis supposed to be the Purolater Pure One with synthetic filteration media

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

cudaken

I am going with WIX as well. Saw a cut up one and had 3 times the fliter area than the fram. To bad Fram got cheap, but it is the comsumer fault, most just want a cheaper prices.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Runner

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Charger4404spd

Ghoste

Isn't Wix one of the ones that cheapened it's product recently?

71superbee

I USE THE MOPAR PERFORMANCE OIL FILTER, PART# P4529187. IT IS THE LONG RED WHITE AND BLUE OIL FILTER THAT LOOKS LIKE THE ORIGINAL FILTER . IT HAS A RETAIL PRICE OF 16.00 AND YOUR LOCAL CHRYSLER DEALER CAN ORDER THEM FOR YOU.  FOR THE MOPAR GUYS AND LADIES IN MAINE I HAVE THEM IN STOCK AT BLOUIN MOTORS 1-800-622-3134 EXT.122

RICK

Runner

i dont believe wix has cheapened there filter.  they are now block with a sticker instead of white.  as far as mopar filters go, they are bid out to the cheapest manufacturer, no mopar filters for me.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Tee hee......I painted my $5 WIX filter red white & blue ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

And see, I have heard that the Mopar filter is actually a pretty good one.  Maybe it's the Napa one that was recently cheapened.  Was it formerly made by Wix and now it's someone else?

Runner

this is a good sight,

read all the way down, one mopar filter is a purolator, then a champion labs, then a good old crappy fram

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy-mopar.html

Charger_Fan

Nice find on the filter study site, Runner! :thumbs:
I had lost the link when the old D-C site went down.

Anyway, like these guys have said...pretty much anything's better than Fram filters! :icon_smile_big: I'm a big fan of Wix filters too. You can get them at most "real" parts stores, like NAPA.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

NHCharger

Yup, I threw out all my Fram oil filters after reading a study on filters. I'm now using Wix, or the NAPA gold which is a wix filter with a different paint job. STP filters are also at the bottom of the barrell.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

ipstrategies

Guys
I bought a NAPA Gold put it on, and could not get it to seal. Oil everywhere at idle. It seems the threaded part sticks out further then the fram. I could not get it to seal so I  put the fram back on and it did not leak.  This has me baffled as the Napa guy told me it was the same as the Wix best. Anyone else with this problem? I am going to try another brand I guess?, my Charger likes cheap filters? The thing is the NAPA guy gave me a chevy filter to begin with and when I took it back he gave me what I thought would work fine, but it leaked. I have had a hard time finding a good parts store to get parts at. I went to 3 stores to get brake shoes for it. Same with the fan belts.

Russ
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Ghoste

I've had a lot of problems with fan belts too.  As to the filters, I was sure I read about one of them getting cheapened up lately.  I thought it was Wix but apparently not.  Maybe it was the Napa Gold and that was where I was getting a confusion with Wix.
No one else has heard this though?

Runner

did you make sure to get the gasket off the oil pump (assuming its a bb )  sometimes they stick to the filter base and when you put the new filter on it makes it leak. its pretty easy to do, and after youve done it once youll always check!.

ipstrategies

I checked that as I remember that from the past. It is supposed to snow in 2 days it was 67 today. When I get home Wednesday I will try the NAPA Filter again I want a better filter for sure.
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS