News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why is everyone here so gonzo over TTI headers?

Started by bull, November 08, 2005, 10:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

What's wrong with Hooker, Summit, Hedman, Edelbrock, Dynomax, Flow Tech, Patriot, Doug Thorley, Dynatech, DEI, etc.?

Troy

1. They actually fit.
2. They actually fit.
3. They actually fit.

That pretty much covers it for me. :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Blown70

My understanding is that they have done a lot of R&D and make items that WORK,,, did any one say they fit?

I don't know that the others listed have done as much specifically for Mopar.

Tom

Runner

bull, the cheap hearders have there problems.   i personally have never had a set of headers that didnt bolt right up, i have all headmans on my junk, 2 sets of bb headers and 1 set of small block headers.    the small block ttis are much better than most any other header because they dont go under the drag link on the drivers side like most do.   

personally if i was given the choice of ttis or thorleys and i was looking for a 1.75 inch tube id go with the thorleys. they have 3/8 flanges and are 14 gauge thick,   and chrome plated.   i see now reason to pay the extra money for NOTHING.

there is a big quality differeance between headmans and tti's. i have a 10 year old set of headmans on my satellite with zero plroblems no leaks ever.   i have a 2 year old set of headman ceramic coated headers on my roadrunner that leak and i cant seem to get it stoped, they will be replaced by a set of 1 7/8 inch   ceramic coated hookers.

there is an acticle in the moparts tech arvchives written by a summit employee, its pretty interesting. while they dont sell tti's he does list most other brands and there return percentage.   

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/bb/60.html

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

bull

Are there fewer leak problems with headers on aluminum heads?

Runner, I know jack diddley about headers so excuse me if the following sounds retarded, but does anyone ever try milling the header mounting surface before installation? Maybe take .010 off it and then double up on gaskets? I guess you shouldn't have to do that, and there are other issues too I suppose such as clearing various parts. Just wondering.

Runner

bull, im sure i could get my headers to seal if i wated to put out the effort, ive tried a couple different gaskets with no success. it is leaking between the #4 and 6 cylenders, im thinking they are warped so im sure it could be trued up and made to seal but when they come off im giong to put some bigger pipes on to try and gain a couple hundreds et  lol. (gees i cant believe im giong to do that  lol) . i will fix them however and use them for another application.   my daughters superbee clone needs a big block and im sure my wife is giong to want a big block in the 72 satelltie we are diong for here (panther pink and all!)

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Troy on November 08, 2005, 10:18:25 PM
1. They actually fit.
2. They actually fit.
3. They actually fit.

Troy

Troy has it pretty much covered already....    now  run along and go play with your manifolds.   ;D   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

71charger_fan

Can you get the starter in and out with the TTIs bolted to the head? My Mopar Performance headers fit perfectly and have never leaked. They cost about on fifth what TTIs cost. But you cannot get the starter out with the header installed. The header doesn't have to come out of the car but it has to come off the head and be moved. That's the main reason I'm leaning towards the Schumacher headers. Plus, with the Schumachers, you can get a socket on every header bolt. Can you do that with TTIs? When I make my next header purchase I want it to be my last header purchase so I want to get it right. I think the TTIs would probably make more power but that's not my primary concern. At this point I want ease of installation and a minimum of follow-on maintenance hassles.

cudaken

Runner, thank you for posting that articel. I was shocked to see hooker at a 10% return rate. I have super comps on my Runner and like them. Only better fitting headers I have worked with was TTI's on a 383 68 Charger. TTI's all most look excatly the same as my Hookers Super Comps.

Few PIC's off TTI's on a 383
I am back

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Runner

the starter thing always seems to come up when talking about headers. ya its kind of a pain to change a starter with headers, but really, i can swing a starter in about an hour mabe an hour and a half with headers.   how often are you guys having to change starters?. i dont seem to have much trouble with them on my junk (knocking on wood as i type!).

cudaken

On my 68 Runner after owing the Hookers for 20 years, about 45 minutes to a hour. Last one and looking for wood my self has lasted about 8 years. Found a trick with them that helps me big time. Un hook the steering column from the P/S box, drive the steering column into it self. Un do the bolts and yank the starter up by the wires. Use to take over 2 hours and a 12 Pack :devil:

Cuda Ken
I am back

bull

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 09, 2005, 07:12:10 AM
Quote from: Troy on November 08, 2005, 10:18:25 PM
1. They actually fit.
2. They actually fit.
3. They actually fit.

Troy

Troy has it pretty much covered already....      now   run along and go play with your manifolds.     ;D     

I will. Headers sound like a major p.i.t.a.

RallyeMike

That was an interesting article. If all headers were returned for fit problems, I think the numbers would be much higher. It still suprises me that 30+ years into this Hooker can't make a header that fits! You still have to work them over today just like back then. I guess TTI must spend a lot of money on quality control.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bull

Quote from: RallyeMike on November 10, 2005, 12:19:35 AM
That was an interesting article. If all headers were returned for fit problems, I think the numbers would be much higher. It still suprises me that 30+ years into this Hooker can't make a header that fits! You still have to work them over today just like back then. I guess TTI must spend a lot of money on quality control.

I think the people buying them are spending the R&D money since they cost so much more. But hey, they work.

Chryco Psycho

71charger_fan

Thick flanges are definitely a strong selling point. My first set of headers were Blackjacks. The Blackjacks fit great but had thin flanges that warped and leaked, constantly blowing header gaskets. The MP headers on now fit great and have decent flanges which don't leak but have gotten rusty and crappy looking over the years.