News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where do these 73-74 underhood straps go and what do they route?

Started by WH23G3G, March 16, 2009, 10:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I've got a 73-74 underhood strap kit I guess for the electrical harness under the hood. I'm cleaning everything up awaiting my cylinder heads to be rebuilt so I can finish the engine/transmission and install it at once. I've tested all lighting and gauges and everything seems to work but the front signals and clock. The signal sockets are probably bad because of corrosion and the clock probably just doesn't work. Everything else I can do to the chassis, interior, trunk, and underhood is done. I'd like to have the wiring under the hood routed correct so there shouldn't be any surprises when going to fire it up at least electrical wise. The strap kit came with 2 clear straps, 2 black round straps, and 1 black horizontal strap. The only one I know of is the black horizontal strap which I've seen wrap over the driver's fender brace which holds the windshield washer hose. I don't know where the other 4 go. Anyone got any pics of know where they go and what they keep strapped? Here is a pic of all the straps that came in the kit.

Nacho-RT74

round ones, on firewall, One bellow wiper motor at a side of bulkhead, and the other one bellow ballast resistor

clears, to battery/starter wires. Inner fender does have the provisions. I know one of them is between brake fluid dist block and hood hinge

I'm not realy sure black strap is to the function you say.

I supposelly bought 73/74 kit but got 71/72... not bad because they have more straps and now I will have spares :D

I don't have a nice pic to ilustrate better
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

WH23G3G

Ok I figured out where the black ring straps go. That was easy. There was one under the ballast resistor and one under the wiper motor just like you said. Now I saw one hole in the inner fender near the brake booster on the top of the fender for a clear strap and the only other hole I saw was in between the battery and washer jar. The hole in between the washer jar and battery seemed to be too small for the clear strap peg to go through. Is that the correct placing for the clear straps? The thin black one I've seen in almost all the original 73 pictures holds the brake booster hose and washer hose strapped to the fender brace so I know where it goes. Take a look at this clamp I pulled off of a 73 automatic steering column to route the wires. The one I have on there now is an underdash bracket and it too large so the wires just dangle in the way still. This picture is the correct one but I don't remember where it bolts to on the steering column. Do you know which screw it bolts to on the steering column?