News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine overheated and now a broken piston

Started by sext7366, November 09, 2005, 01:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sext7366

Ok guys heres one for ya...driving along without my temp gauge which went out about a month ago, and of course this is when my belt decides to break.  Since I hadn't drove the car in a while, along with being fairly old, the belt decided to break.  I didnt hear any sound at all, and all of the sudden (to me) the car was smoking a little.  I was trying to pull of the road on the left, but there was alot of traffic, and to the right was a few semis so I was stuck until the left side finally cleared.  I pulled off, the engine smoking pretty bad now, and stopped.  I had had an oil leak so I checked the level whenever I drove it, but since I forgot when I left the house I checked it before I left work, and assumed that I probably left the filler cap off. So I left it running popped the hood, and saw/smelled the anifreeze, so I went to turn the car off.  Long story short, I had it towed home as It wouldn't restart in the morning, pullled the heads and found one of the pistons (#2 on pass side) had come apart, and there was a considerable amount of debri on top of most of the other pistons.  I had the eng rebuilt about 2 years ago, but havnt driven the car more than probably 25,000 miles.  What do I do full/partial rebuild or any other suggestions??? I am at a loss. Financial resources are scarce right now so the cheaper the better, with consideration to the quality of engine I will have.

cudaken

Frist welcome to the site sext7366, just wish you what brought you here was to tells how great the engine runs.

I think you all ready know the answer and just looking for a glimer of hope from us. But I am afraid there is none. Time for a full rebulid, with the piston coming a part there is going to be crap all threw the engine. Crank will have to be turned, block checked for cracks. With the engine that hot may have wrapped the valves as well.

I am sort of in the same boat, but nothing broken. 440 had 85 miles on it and you would not believe the silly ass shit that was missed. Just another $500.00 in parts and machine work.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Charger_Fan

I agree with Ken.
With debris scattered into the other cylinders, it's gonna need to be rebuilt. All that other metal flating around in there will surely do more damage if you were to just replace that piston & try running it again...it wouldn't run very long.

If you're tight for money & are just trying to bandage it for a while, you might be able to find a boneyard engine to swap in there for a while.

What kind of car & engine are we talking about anyway?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Chryco Psycho

is the cylinder wall in the cylinder that the piston failed even in 1 piece still ?
, you need a total rebuild as mentioned

sext7366

This is a 383ci thats already been bored .060 over, so in order to rebuild again I am guessing I will have to get a kit for a 400?  as the bore for a 400 would be the same as boring a 383 .090 over. or will a new block be the way to go? If so I will probably upgrade to a 440.

cudaken

sext7366, 400 pistons won't work, will get into the water jackets, driffrent castings. Block may still be OK, need to pull it and have it checked.

I do have a number of a guy that has a 51,000 mile 400 for $500.00 in KS. Will need to change converter's and use the 400 front blancer. Blance is driffrent but other than that should be a drop in. If he would have took parts in trade I would be picking it up this weekend.

Cuda Ken
I am back