News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Charger R/T #'s Matching Rebuild

Started by BLUE68RT4ME, March 20, 2009, 11:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: gasoline_24 on April 17, 2009, 11:28:13 AM
Here is a copy of the pictures.

Cool, I'll take 'em.  Just PM me and let me know what you want for them!  Thanks a lot! :2thumbs:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

BLUE68RT4ME

Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

PocketThunder

Here it is... Looks like i can get that part for you.  If you're not in a hurry for it.  I only get back home once every couple months... 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BLUE68RT4ME

:woohoo:  That will work perfectly.  I can stop by and pick it up while I'm back and check out how the progress is coming on your garage.   ;)

We have plenty of work left to do so we won't need it immediately but if the soda blaster gets off his butt we should be able to start working on the main shell in about a 4-6 weeks.  Sounds like that would be perfect.  Let me know when you go back home.  Thanks man! :2thumbs:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

charger_cody

Wow man. That ride looks like it's coming along very nicely. And it warms my heart know someone bought a charger knowing what they are doing. And not buying one to jump it or to sell parts the crush it.  :cheers:

You definately started out with more than i had on my first charger.

I was just curious how much did you pay for it?

Cody

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on April 15, 2009, 08:06:04 PM
This is doesn't look too bad for the battery area, despite the area I've pointed out with the arrow.  That will be a pain to try to repair just because the metal is folded and so thin.

As for the fender tag, can anyone tell me what the additional tag specifies?  I'm not familiar with the additional tag.  Any input will be much appreciated!   :icon_smile_big:

I recently replaced my inner fenders and I still have the old ones. They were not in terrible shape but decided to replace them anyway. I believe some parts of my old fender have a similar contour to the rusted out area on the rad support. If they do I could cut out a section and mail it to you. Take a look at your inner fenders and see if this is an option for you.

Cheers,

James
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

69*F5*SE

mopar_nut_440_6,  how is the whole battery area on the drivers side inner fender?  I could use that whole area as mine is swiss cheese. Any pics would be great.  Not trying to step on any toes here.  Ted

BLUE68RT4ME

Hey, no worries.  I think I'm covered by PocketThunder so it's all good!

Mopar_Nut, thanks for your offer.  If you and 69*F5 can work something out, by all means do so!  That's what this is all about.  I'm glad that this opened the door for TWO people to get what they need.   ;)   :cheers:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

69*F5*SE

Wow, cool, this could possibly work out.   :2thumbs:

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

BLUE68RT4ME

Let me know if things work out, that would be cool!
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

If anyone has additional parts that they are trying to get rid of, I posted a "parts wanted" ad that you can look over.  If you have anything on my list feel free to contact me.  Thank you in advance for taking to time to try to help me out!  Here's my ad:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,56302.msg627379.html#msg627379

;D
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

Hey everyone, so the latest update here is that the doors, fenders, trunk and hood were finally soda blasted this week!  Now we can get to some serious work again.   :2thumbs:  I've also managed to pick up some parts I've been missing with help from many people on this site, i.e. #'s matching intake, carb, new springs, shocks, torsion bars and, as you've seen, the dash pieces and radiator support.  I also picked up a rear valance off ebay for about $130 less than from Year One.  All-in-all, things are going well.

I've put together my "Wish List" on Year One's site... looks like I'll be dropping about $2500 real sooon.  Anyone know how willing they are to discount on big purchases like that?  I'm assuming that shipping will be no small number either.

Well, I hope everyone's enjoying the start of summer.  With any luck, I'll be on the road in August.  We'll see what happens.   :icon_smile_big:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

69*F5*SE

Yeah, YearOne's shipping costs are HIGH so at least you will expect that.   Mopar_Nut is shipping that drivers side inner fender that he took off of his car.  I just need an area near the battery tray and I'll be good, so that worked out.   :2thumbs:  So it sounds like you'll be pretty busy on the car this summer with all those parts coming in.  Good luck!   :yesnod:

R71CUDA

Markus!

Derek sent me your link.  Looks good! :drool5:
1971 Cuda
1979 Lil Red Express
2003 PT Crusier GT Turbo w/ghost flames (Dad)
2004 Intreped (Kids)
2005 T & C Van (Kids)
2007 Brand X import (Mom)

FlatbackFanatic

Wow! Your really going to town on your car. Sounds like you are very organized too.Hopefully you'll have it done in August for my picnic, if not bring more pics! Good luck. :2thumbs:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

BLUE68RT4ME

Well, I've returned from New York and had a chance to get back to the car.  Aaron had gotten some time in on it; after the fenders, doors, hood and trunk deck got back from soda blasting he was able to get the work done on most of them... The hood needed to have the holes filled in from the hood pins that were present before and one of the doors needed a little attention but not bad.  He wasn't able to get to the drivers fender or the trunk deck yet but they won't require too much work.  The fender requires a couple patches but is pretty solid and the trunk deck needs a new lip put on where the rear fold is located in the back.

As for the main portion of the car... well, let's just say we now have a good idea of "what lies beneath"!  We grabbed the torch and scraper and went to town on the undercoating and... ah-hem... the fiberglass that was covering up all the previous work done to the quarters, fender wells, and the door rail.  After that we started sand blasting the remaining undercoat where we could.  I had to stop short of finishing but hope to get back towards the end of this week and finish that and send it off to soda blasting.

Here's some pics of that damages followed by the accomplishments.  Everything primed is ready for blocking as soon as we get it back on the car.  Here we are...

Base of the drivers door rail

The floor pan after removing the patch... Oof!

Ground out the bondo around the drivers quarter, talk about recessing the seams! There's more than a half inch between my finger and the brazed seam!

Finding the patchwork done to the rear valance

Inner fenders

Areas of drivers fender that need work

And now accomplishments....

Front Valance

Hood

Passenger Fender

Doors

Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

R71CUDA

:2thumbs:

This looks good Mark!  Nice job on the finished stuff!

Stop buy the office to say hello.  We moved 6-blocks south.

See ya soon!

Steve

:cheers:
1971 Cuda
1979 Lil Red Express
2004 Intreped (Kids)
2005 T & C Van (Kids)

R71CUDA

1971 Cuda
1979 Lil Red Express
2004 Intreped (Kids)
2005 T & C Van (Kids)

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BLUE68RT4ME

Ok, so after some provocation by Paul, I finally got the motivation to post another update.  Sorry it's been so long.  There has been some good progress, yet it seems to come little by little sometimes.  Aaron works on it when he runs out of the high priority jobs for him and the boys.  Guess it would cost me more if I were a high priority so I'll live with it.   :shruggy:

So, since last post the rest of the body has been soda blasted.  Aaron sealed all the areas we sandblasted before so don't be confused by the yellow sealer.  I didn't swap for a yellow car like some of my Chevy "friends" thought at first.   :slap:  I took some pics of the areas in the front that were uncovered and needed some attention.  Most of these spots have been completed.  Oh, and we decided to buy another front fender for the drivers side as we figured with as much money and time we're putting into this car we might as well be putting the best quality on it.  The fender was not bad, but if anything was going to start bubbling 4-5 years down the road it would be that.

Other than the area in the radiator support frame that Paul helped me acquire a patch for, everything in the front is about complete and we're headed towards the rear of the car now.  Here are the pics I have.  Please forgive me, some of them are poor quality from my cell phone.

Spot by hinge

Spot on the top of inner fender

Another hinge spot

Repairs

Here's a few shots after soda of the rear.  Look at the sail panel.  They cut a section out of another and patched it in with the original lead still in the patch.  Strange to see. :shruggy:

Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

So, including the fender, I just bought $3100 worth of parts from Year One.  They had a 15% discount going on, and with the additional 10% I got for being over $1000 I got 25% off, which basically paid for the shipping.  Some of the parts were on back order but everything we really need is coming in right away.  We're talking 1/4 floor pan, trunk pan, outer wheel houses, trunk extensions, valance corner caps, etc.  So, now all I need is to kick Aaron in the butt and get him off all those high paying jobs to work on mine!   :smilielol:  I bought him and his wife Vikings tickets here at the dome this weekend so I'm going to butter him up as much as possible all weekend! :)
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

Ok, so here is how she sat as of Saturday night.  Talk about swiss cheese!  Hope you brought some crackers!  ;) It's great to see progress, right?  The quarters were just rough cut for the moment, more to be done soon.  Looking forward to the progress after this because now we're building rather that doing demo.   :2thumbs:

Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

SG1022