News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

23 or 18 spline

Started by RT DAVE, November 10, 2005, 09:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT DAVE

Will a 23 spline four speed be able to handle a 450 hp wedge?   My boss, who owns a couple hemis, told me I would be wasting money and it would be overkill to buy an 18 spline trans unless I'm pushing more than 500 hp.   Any thoughts on this?     He also stated that the 18 splines in his hemi chargers are not as smooth as the 23 splines in his other cars.     Anybody else notice this?      Thanks in advance.  
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Troy

From everything I've learned in my research, the 23 spline should handle that amount of power just fine. You can build one for less than half the cost of an 18 spline so unless you really beef up the engine it's best to save your money. The 18 splines are noisier because of the coarse teeth and I'm pretty sure they aren't as smooth but I haven't driven both... yet.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RT DAVE

Hey Troy,
Thanks for responding to my message as opposed to just moving it.  This board is almost DEAD, so I chose to post in the general discussion section as opposed to the proper area.  My bad.   

cudaken

Seems a little dead to me as well. The fact I answer this shows it a little slow. ;)

Cuda Ken
I am back

694spdRT

A friend of mine ran a 23 spline behind a built 440 Charger with 4.10 gears for years. Come to think of it he actually went through several big blocks but, never hurt the tranny.

I would use it and not bother with the 18 spline. I planned on putting one of the newer 23 spline 833OD's out of a van behind a 440 in my Challenger...still might some day.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

RT DAVE

Quote from: cudaken on November 10, 2005, 11:47:31 AM
Seems a little dead to me as well. The fact I answer this shows it a little slow. ;)

Cuda Ken

I had to resort to visiting MOPARTS.   

cudaken

Send me there link, I will bug them for a while RD. Do they have spell checker :icon_smile_big:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Troy

Quote from: RT DAVE on November 10, 2005, 09:38:45 AM
Hey Troy,
Thanks for responding to my message as opposed to just moving it.  This board is almost DEAD, so I chose to post in the general discussion section as opposed to the proper area.  My bad.   

Dead? There were 15 threads answered today alone in just this little tiny section. I broke apart the old sections into more specific areas and expanded the lists to hold 30 threads because the pages were filling up too fast. Since this site has been around we are averaging almost 560 new posts, 45 new threads, and 11 new members per day. Our bandwidth is fast approaching the highest levels of the old site which took almost 3 years to reach. Sorry if that is "dead" but I work on Fortune 500 sites that get less traffic. As I've stated before, if people would post in the correct places then answers would come faster and by the right people (the ones who actually know what they are talking about). Also, when new members come searching for answers they (most of them) will start by looking in the Tech section. Putting items where you think they should be is inconsiderate of everyone else - current and future members alike - and shows a lack of respect for the moderators who have to clean up the mess. FYI - I read the sections from the bottom up so I hit the Help Desk first and then the Tech sections so by posting in General Discussion I won't be able to answer your questions until I've read everything else. Chryco only answers questions in the Tech sections for the most part and he's only on late at night (which means he won't read your post for another 3-4 hours and possibly wouldn't even have seen it if it hadn't been moved. Sorry if I sound a little peeved but I've spent an small fortune in time and money on this site to make it better for everyone so maybe I don't take criticism so well.

Troy

RT DAVE

Quote from: Troy on November 10, 2005, 09:44:16 PM
Hey Troy,
Thanks for responding to my message as opposed to just moving it.   This board is almost DEAD, so I chose to post in the general discussion section as opposed to the proper area.   My bad.     

Dead? There were 15 threads answered today alone in just this little tiny section. I broke apart the old sections into more specific areas and expanded the lists to hold 30 threads because the pages were filling up too fast. Since this site has been around we are averaging almost 560 new posts, 45 new threads, and 11 new members per day. Our bandwidth is fast approaching the highest levels of the old site which took almost 3 years to reach. Sorry if that is "dead" but I work on Fortune 500 sites that get less traffic. As I've stated before, if people would post in the correct places then answers would come faster and by the right people (the ones who actually know what they are talking about). Also, when new members come searching for answers they (most of them) will start by looking in the Tech section. Putting items where you think they should be is inconsiderate of everyone else - current and future members alike - and shows a lack of respect for the moderators who have to clean up the mess. FYI - I read the sections from the bottom up so I hit the Help Desk first and then the Tech sections so by posting in General Discussion I won't be able to answer your questions until I've read everything else. Chryco only answers questions in the Tech sections for the most part and he's only on late at night (which means he won't read your post for another 3-4 hours and possibly wouldn't even have seen it if it hadn't been moved. Sorry if I sound a little peeved but I've spent an small fortune in time and money on this site to make it better for everyone so maybe I don't take criticism so well.

Troy

No disrespect meant.  I don't usually post items in improper areas.   And yes, I think you were easily upset in this situation.  My comment was meant to be a joke that you apparently didn't get or appreciate.   If you need money for the site, set something up & I'll make a contribution.  BTW, I was being serious when I thanked you for the prompt response. 

Troy

Quote from: RT DAVE on November 10, 2005, 11:20:18 PM
Hey Troy,

Troy

No disrespect meant. I don't usually post items in improper areas. And yes, I think you were easily upset in this situation. My comment was meant to be a joke that you apparently didn't get or appreciate. If you need money for the site, set something up & I'll make a contribution. BTW, I was being serious when I thanked you for the prompt response.

It's been a rough week...

You're welcome though. :thumbs:

I forgot to mention, if your car is a real R/T then the 18 spline would be "correct" and possibly raise the value of the car more than a 23 spline. That has nothing to do with your performance question though.

Troy

Chryco Psycho

I ran a street strip duster runnign mid 11s & pulling the front wheels 2-3' on every pass at the track for ten years + pulling the tires on the street using the "weak" OD 23 spine 833 with 425 rear wheel HP ....no problems

Chargerguy74

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 11, 2005, 12:57:39 AM
I ran a street strip duster runnign mid 11s & pulling the front wheels 2-3' on every pass at the track for ten years + pulling the tires on the street using the "weak" OD 23 spine 833 with 425 rear wheel HP ....no problems

LOL, I just read MCG and they also referred to it as weak.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

cudaken

Troy, I need to know what I am talking about to answer ??? :icon_smile_big:

Thanks again for this site Troy. Guess the reason the site seems a little slow to me is I am hanging out in the Tech section more.

On new people posting in the wrong section, maybe when they join have a screen that explaind where to post what kind of questions? Might cut down some of your guys work.

Ken
I am back

Troy

Quote from: cudaken on November 11, 2005, 10:13:45 AM
Troy, I need to know what I am talking about to answer ??? :icon_smile_big:
You mean you don't know what you're doing? :D That wasn't really meant for you specifically but you already knew that.

Thanks again for this site Troy. Guess the reason the site seems a little slow to me is I am hanging out in the Tech section more.
You're welcome. It seems slow to you because you have a lot more time to hang out here now. ;) I check C-C.com every evening and there's like 5 pages of new posts to read so it seems like a lot. However, I'm on here all the time and it doesn't really seem like it moves as fast even though we are generating 2-3 times as many posts and threads. If I wasn't reading traffic reports on a regular basis it probably would feel slow.

On new people posting in the wrong section, maybe when they join have a screen that explaind where to post what kind of questions? Might cut down some of your guys work.

Ken
It's the web - people don't read (or search). It's a problem that's been around forever. What do we do about old timers who post in the wrong place *cough*Ken*cough*? :)

Troy

cudaken

Easy, Let me do what I want ;D :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_approve:

Yea, I did it I think done twices now. Off the top of my head I forget what it was about. Over all I am good about it.

Ken
I am back

58pwrwgn

I thought the problem with the aluminum od was the countershaft would oblong the holes in the case when this trans was enjoyed behind a stout engine. Glad to hear Chryco didn't have problems, I've been thinking of putting the one I have in the RR.

RT DAVE

Quote from: Troy on November 11, 2005, 12:31:03 AM
Quote from: RT DAVE on November 10, 2005, 11:20:18 PM
Hey Troy,
Thanks for responding to my message as opposed to just moving it.   This board is almost DEAD, so I chose to post in the general discussion section as opposed to the proper area.   My bad.     

Troy

No disrespect meant. I don't usually post items in improper areas. And yes, I think you were easily upset in this situation. My comment was meant to be a joke that you apparently didn't get or appreciate. If you need money for the site, set something up & I'll make a contribution. BTW, I was being serious when I thanked you for the prompt response.

It's been a rough week...

You're welcome though. :thumbs:

I forgot to mention, if your car is a real R/T then the 18 spline would be "correct" and possibly raise the value of the car more than a 23 spline. That has nothing to do with your performance question though.

Troy

It's been a bad week for me too, so let's just chalk this misunderstanding  :cussing:up to that.   BTW, did you happen to lose your job this week, too?    :icon_smile_big:

Anyhow, yes, my car is a real RT but it's an auto  :(( i think i mentioned this would be a conversion?), so do you still think the 18 will add value proportionate to the additional investment (i'm guessing I'll have to pay at least double for either a used or new ((thinking Passon Perf if I buy new))? 

I think I just turned into CUDAKEN in the last sentence...   :D

No harm meant, Ken.  Just hackin on you because I know you're a good guy who can dish it out too... :icon_smile_big:

Troy

Quote from: RT DAVE on November 12, 2005, 11:33:33 AM
Anyhow, yes, my car is a real RT but it's an auto :(( i think i mentioned this would be a conversion?), so do you still think the 18 will add value proportionate to the additional investment (i'm guessing I'll have to pay at least double for either a used or new ((thinking Passon Perf if I buy new))?
Yes, even on a conversion, the 18 spline is correct behind a 440. I was asking because if your car is currently numbers matching then you may actually lose some value but if it isn't you may gain some by going with a 4-speed. It depends on the buyer but most likely the "correct" trans will help (probably about equal to what it cost to buy). The 18 and 23 spline transmissions are pretty hard to tell apart once installed in the car so it's not like anyone will notice. Passon is now selling an 18 spline overdrive trans which would be nicer on the highway yet still look stock. The problem is that the price is double what they get for a standard 18 spline (which about quadruples the 23 spline price). Just out of curiosity, where are you located? Brewer's tends to have slightly lower prices than Passon and I don't think you'll find anyone complaining about quality. Both companies have treated me extremely well so far but I live closer to Brewer's.

Troy