News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3rd gen front spoiler

Started by KillerBee1972, February 01, 2009, 08:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KillerBee1972

I got a front chin spoiler for my 72 and i was wondering if there is a specific place that it goes on the front valance. i held it up to it and it seems that it can go to only one spot towards the back on the valance! what is the best way to mount it? and Where at on the valance?  Some pics would help!!
1964 Plymouth Fury "old 70s drag car"
1973 Dodge Charger SE B9 blue 440

Hemidoug

Flip the valance upsidedown and slide the spoiler up until it fits snug around the parking light blisters...and it's home. It gets mounted with bolts /washers and nuts...
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Bob

I don't think there was any specific measurements since most were dealer installed. They were fitted up to where it look good and installed. Here is how I did mine.

Hold in place with jack stands.
Mark the holes with a pencil. Stand back and look 3 or 4 times getting the best placement. Using a spring loaded center punch, mark the center of the pencil marks. If you don't punch the mark you will have bit wonder.

Drill the holes and treat with a little paint to keep from rusting.

Foreman72

are those the same wing? how come some seem longer than others? or is that just mounting? cuz (even tho its a PS pic) my sig has the length i want...something like this

:shruggy: :shruggy:

are they all the same length or does it vary by manufacturer and of course mounting?
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

bk72

some do seem to be longer than others. if they are longer is there a difference ?

Foreman72

Quote from: bk72 on March 08, 2009, 09:39:36 PM
some do seem to be longer than others. if they are longer is there a difference ?

well i like the longer one :cheers:
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

Bob

Depending on location, meaning closer or further away from the front signal lights will give the appearance that one is longer or shorter. I see what you mean when looking at mine and the purple one. Mine is further down hence looks longer.

Nacho-RT74

If I get one, would make it further as posble to get more air pressure against the spolier and body, against rear valence, and realeasing to sides, so more nose down effect.

if fits outer, will let flow more air to radiator I think, but less pressure againts body because there is not enough surface to push down the car

what you want get ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Bob

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 10, 2009, 12:42:22 PM
If I get one, would make it further as possible to get more air pressure against the spoiler and body, against rear valence, and realeasing to sides, so more nose down effect.

if fits outer, will let flow more air to radiator I think, but less pressure again ts body because there is not enough surface to push down the car

what you want get ?

I don't think at 63 mph or 100 km's it will make that much difference Nacho.  :smilielol:

Nacho-RT74

depending on how much wind you have coming LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Bob

Foreman72

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 10, 2009, 12:42:22 PM
If I get one, would make it further as posble to get more air pressure against the spolier and body, against rear valence, and realeasing to sides, so more nose down effect.

if fits outer, will let flow more air to radiator I think, but less pressure againts body because there is not enough surface to push down the car

what you want get ?

best combo of both i guess... :lol:

probably more towards the downforce side...thanks 4 the info guys  :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

KillerBee1972

hey guys i got it mounted a while ago thanks for all your help!

Bob

Looks awesome  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
I'm currently working on installing the rear glass louver. Not the sides but the big one on the rear glass.

KillerBee1972

Quote from: Bob on March 18, 2009, 06:34:00 AM
I'm currently working on installing the rear glass louver. Not the sides but the big one on the rear glass.

Let me know how that goes i want to do that also, but wasnt sure how hard it would be to put on!!

Bob

Quote from: KillerBee1972 on March 18, 2009, 02:04:44 PM
Quote from: Bob on March 18, 2009, 06:34:00 AM

Let me know how that goes i want to do that also, but wasnt sure how hard it would be to put on!!

It will be a slow process. It's one of those custom aluminum ones. I removed the rear trim and painted a spare set to match the color of the louver. Saturday I'm off to Lowe's to find something to shield the mounting brackets from the glass. I'm painting it primer black to match the rear spoiler. I guess I can take progress pics. I'll keep you updated.
Bob

Bob

It was a slow process but finally, after 5 hours, got the louver installed.

Ghoste

It looks nice on there, especially in that top view.

Beer

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Fitz73Chrgr

Wow, Bob, I really like that.  Someone may have already asked, but where did you buy the louver from?

All you need now is that bulge hood  :2thumbs:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Bob

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on March 23, 2009, 09:55:50 AM
Wow, Bob, I really like that.  Someone may have already asked, but where did you buy the louver from?

A very good friend of mine gave it to me in trade for my time and gas for picking some parts for him. You may Know him as Tom from the other site :D

Bob

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on March 23, 2009, 09:55:50 AM

ACTUALLY I'M WORKING ON A FLAT HOOD WITH SOME MODIFICATIONS.  :D :D :D