News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

American Idol

Started by 1969chargerrtse, April 02, 2009, 05:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

:icon_smile_blackeye:
Quote from: histoy on April 16, 2009, 07:51:01 AM
I believe that Jennifer Hudson also won a Grammy.
And Golden Globe. But hey she came from that silly AI show.  ::)
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Another super night on American Idol.  Once again Adam was outstanding.  Best top 7 ever.  I still think It'll be Danny Allison and Adam as the top 3.  Whatja guys think?

American Idol Recap: Disco Inferno
Lil Rounds' meltdown continues, while Adam Lambert turns up the heat 
By Bret Federigan
MSN TV

"American Idol"  went disco Tuesday night. And it turned out not to be the schlock-filled train wreck that Simon Cowell and fans were expecting. On the contrary, the top 7 singers gave fresh, inspired takes on hits from a music genre that, for many Americans, seems banished to the world of karaoke and wedding receptions. The only disaster Tuesday night was the continued misfortune of Lil Rounds, who found herself on the receiving end of the evening's harshest feedback from the judges. Once considered a can't-miss prospect during Hollywood Week, the Memphis native now seems destined for near certain elimination. 

Photos: Top 7 gallery | More: Last recap

And for those of you keeping score, there was yet another (re)adjustment to the judging format -- in what has become a weekly circus of producer tweaks this season. The show did away with last week's decision to have the judges give criticism in pairs, allowing all four judges this week to provide their feedback and thus ensuring that viewers had the chance to hear Simon's thoughts on every contestant. The Brit clearly enjoyed the change, offering up the night's sharpest comments. He certainly enjoys his influence. And on Tuesday night, he not so subtly tipped his hand. But that's for you to discuss and debate.Ryan Seacrest

Related: 'Idol' Midseason Report Card | Gallery: The "American Idol" celebrity success spectrum

For the time being, a rundown of last night's performances:

Lil Rounds

If there was a singer in the contest who stood the best chance of benefiting from a disco-themed night, it was this Memphis native.  But with her performance of Chaka Khan's "I'm Every Women," Lil Rounds seems to have hit the end of the line -- a conclusion, I think, the judges came to a week ago. Lil certainly tried her best to keep things exciting, as she pranced around the stage with conviction and even planted herself right on the judges' platform. But, her rendition was warbling, pitchy and, I hate to say it, completely karaoke. At this point, the judges seem to have lost all faith in her. Randy commented, "It sounded so wild to me. It still didn't really show us what kind of vocal control you can have." Kara didn't have much good news either, adding, "I'm not sure it was worth the wait. You've been every other woman but yourself." And Paula, who was one of Lil's strongest supporters at the outset of the contest, sees the writing on the wall, too. "Although you were hot tonight, you didn't quite hit the boiling point," she confessed. Simon was the harshest of the four, saying, "I think this is going to be the last week that we're ever going to see you. No originality, very copycat. The vocals were a mess." And with that, Lil is as good as gone this week.

Kris Allen

Season 8's little strummer boy went back to the guitar Tuesday night for another laidback, stripped-down performance, this time singing Donna Summers' "She Works Hard for the Money." It was exactly the type of John Mayer-esque rendition that has played well with the judges and viewers all season long. And the sensitive interpretation highlighted the Arkansas native's musical savvy. Kris entirely reworked the arrangement, injected some adult contemporary flair and served up his customary understated cool behind the mic. The judges were appreciative of the artistic choice.

"You took a real risk with that arrangement," remarked an impressed Kara. She continued, "It paid off big time. I've got to give you props for that." Paula said, "It had a classy Santana feel to it. It showed your originality." Simon agreed that the interpretation was original, adding that it was also "well thought-out." He further remarked, "That was no karaoke. It was a fantastic performance. Congratulations." And Randy's comments, taken in conjunction with those of his fellow judges, suggest that Kris right now is the guy best positioned to spoil the Adam-Danny party. "You know who you are," he declared. "You are ready for the big time." Don't be surprised to see Kris in the final three.

Danny Gokey

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

America's favorite church music director did nothing Tuesday night to shake his status as strongest competitor left in the contest not named Adam Lambert. Danny threw down some throaty vocals in his feverish version of Earth, Wind & Fire's "September." But it was, compared to some of his other offerings this season, a bit workmanlike and lacking inspiration. Simon was left to utter, "I didn't get any star power from that," finding the performance "a bit awkward and clumsy." But the rest of the judges sense that Danny is headed to the finals. Randy remarked, "You turned this into something that really worked for you tonight. You worked it out, baby. Good job." Kara called the performance "solid," though confessed that she didn't think it was one of his best. She added, "Your pitch is so right on. You never have an issue." Paula was the most enthusiastic, stating, "You chose vocally to show your agility and brilliance. I think you have one of the sexiest voices ever. I think women of all ages will agree." As for Simon, he predictably kept things a bit tempered, saying, "I can't fault the vocals." He knows we're headed for a Danny-Adam showdown and sees no need to overhype the expected duel just yet.

Allison Iraheta

Just as Lil has been floundering, this teenager from California native seems to get stronger from week to week. And having survived the bottom three a couple of times already this season, she seems completely comfortable in making ambitious choices on stage. That was the case Tuesday night with a slowed-down, sultry version of "Hot Stuff" by Donna Summer. In recent weeks, it seems Allison has really enjoyed vamping things up a bit and demonstrating the more vixen-like qualities of her vocal abilities, and she definitely turned up the naughtiness factor with this number.  Her big, brooding voice has never sounded better. And she's beginning to emerge as a more palatable counterpoint to her more popular fellow male competitors. The judges seemed encouraged by this development. Randy confessed, "I didn't love the arrangement, but I love you. You're one of the best singers in the competition. You can really sing!" Kara liked the interpretation and the vocals, remarking, "You picked the right song. From a singing perspective, that was like a 9-10 for me." Paula commented, "It doesn't veer away from your authenticity." Simon seems to have come around on Allison and her "underdog" status. He declared, "Taking everything into account, that was a brilliant performance." If Allison finds herself as the only female left in the contest after this week (and I fully expect that to happen), will she be able to attract the bulk of Lil's supporters? If she can do so, watch out.

Adam Lambert

This Hollywood native can just do no wrong. Every song he chooses to sing has been lauded by the judges. And they have eagerly embraced every one of his interpretations. His version of "If I Can't Have You" by Yvonne Elliman was the most enthusiastically received Tuesday night, as Adam demonstrated once again that he's the most inventive and confident performer in the contest. Each week, he's changed things up. And Tuesday night, he reverted back to a down-tempo song, but injected plenty of vocal fireworks to keep things lively. He seems equally at home churning up the metal as he does keeping things tender and vulnerable. As far as artistic range goes, he's head and shoulders above the rest. The judges were quick to pile on the compliments. Randy said, "You are ready right now, dude. You have it majorly going on!" Kara called Adam "brilliant" and "inspiring." She added, "Every week, you up it for me. Tonight, this was the most memorable performance." Paula cut right to the chase. "You're fascinating," she remarked, right before disclosing, "You're brilliant, and you will be in the finals." And Simon? He's clearly a fan. "You did something we weren't expecting. What I loved about it, it was original. The vocals were immaculate." Is there any doubt? Adam wins the week, yet again.

Matt Giraud

It's almost like clockwork. Whenever this Michigan native puts on the fedora, you know we're going to get more of his on-again-off-again Justin Timberlake act. And that's what we thankfully got on Tuesday night, as Matt returned to the type of vocal style that seems to serve him the best chance of staying in the contest. Keeping things light and upbeat, he grooved away on "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees, but didn't make the song sound cheesy or passé. It was certainly a more confident and compelling performance than last week's. But will it be enough to keep him out of the bottom three? Objectively, no. However, the math of having only seven singers left in the contest suggests otherwise. Nevertheless, the judges were certainly more receptive. Although confessing to not liking the song choice or the arrangement, Randy declared, "You can really sing." Kara offered, "You brought disco back. I really like to see you move." She wasn't wowed by the performance, but thought it was "solid." Paula gave one of her best lines, comparing Matt's singing to her own bowling ability. She said, "Sometimes you throw gutter balls and sometimes you throw strikes. That was a strike. Tonight you saved your own life." But Simon kept things in perspective, indirectly reminding viewers that Matt's likely headed for the bottom three again. "I'm not such a huge fan," he said, adding that the performance was a bit "desperate." He commented, "I don't think the vocals were great." Poor Matt. One week after being saved, he'll probably face the chopping block yet again.

Anoop Desai

You've got to give Anoop Dogg credit for trying. Probably sensing that he's a bit overmatched by the showmanship and vocal abilities of his more talented fellow competitors, the North Carolina native decided to switch things up a bit Tuesday night by sporting a newly grown mustache and adding a bit of hot pink to his normally staid wardrobe. But even those tiny tweaks to his onstage persona couldn't lift a somewhat leaden, down-tempo version of "Dim All the Lights" by Donna Summer. Yes, that's right; Anoop served up yet another ballad this week. While it sounded pleasant enough, and at one point attempted to kick into a faster tempo, it was exactly the type of song choice Anoop has been making all season long (save for Michael Jackson week) and probably won't do much to convince the judges and viewers that he's capable of more exciting, challenging stuff. Nevertheless, the judges confessed to liking Anoop's voice, but seemed to suggest that he'll continue to have a hard time avoiding the bottom three. Randy remarked, "You can sing dude. Nice, baby. Nice." Kara was even stronger in her praise, stating that Anoop's version "sounded like it could actually be on the radio." She thought that this and last week's performances were his best this season. "You're really hitting your stride," she commented. For her part, Paula thought Anoop's vocals were "beautiful" and said that Anoop had found the "magical zone" in his voice. She further cautioned, "Smile more!" But leave it to Simon to shatter Anoop's hopes. Calling the whole performance "mediocre at best," Simon declared, "Sorry. It was a horrible version of that song. That was your worst performance by a mile." The verdict?  This could be a very sad week for Tar Heel nation, indeed.

dodgecharger-fan

I actually did watch last night. I thought I'd miss it, but my wife found it at 10 PM on a channel from out west somewhere.

Not entirely entertaining, but I don't really dig disco.  :P I just didn't have anything else to do and I chalked up an hour of quality time with my better half. *makes note on score sheet*  :rofl:

While I don't watch for the drama of the competition, I'll say Lil Rounds and Anoop should be gone. When I heard them, I asked my wife, "They were better than this before, then?" Her reply was, "No, they shouldn't even be there." Based on what I saw last night, I agree.

And the guy they saved last week. He did not take advantage of his second chance. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't, by any means, spectacular.

moparstuart

I think matt and lil  should be the ones going home tonight
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bill440rt

Adam is over-rated, sorry. Good performer, yes, but I don't think he's the singer everyone has hyped him up to be.
Same with Alison. Great for a 16-year old, but not the best there is on that show.

Gotta agree with Chris. If I were to base it on vocals, Danny is hands down the best singer on the show. My 2nd favorite? Believe it or not, Matt.
Yep, Go Danny.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

moparstuart

Quote from: bill440rt on April 22, 2009, 09:19:03 AM
Adam is over-rated, sorry. Good performer, yes, but I don't think he's the singer everyone has hyped him up to be.
Same with Alison. Great for a 16-year old, but not the best there is on that show.

Gotta agree with Chris. If I were to base it on vocals, Danny is hands down the best singer on the show. My 2nd favorite? Believe it or not, Matt.
Yep, Go Danny.

gotta agree with you about Adam ( a little overrated)  Danny ( IS THE BEST )

BUT MAN ALLISON IS  amazing no matter what her age is , she has the voice   :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents: 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Chargerrtforme

Quote from: bill440rt on April 22, 2009, 09:19:03 AM

Yep, Go Danny.

Adam is not over rated, you just dont see what everone else and the professionals see.  He is a fantastic singer with the most stage presence ever seen on that show. Danny is fantastic but always gets comments about improvement. Adam never faults, ever.

69DodgeCharger

Aren't Carrie Underwood and Kelli Pickler country singers? Doesn't really count. You can go to almost any Karaoke bar in America on a weekend and find the next big "country star" Fly em up to Nashville, clean em up. get em some clothes find a studio band and a songwriter and let the mass marketing machine go to work. We'll see where all the AI "winners" are in 10 years. I'm betting it won't be anywhere near the top of the music charts though. I can proudly say I have never watched one episode of American Idol..........ever.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Chargerrtforme

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on April 22, 2009, 10:18:16 AM
Aren't Carrie Underwood and Kelli Pickler country singers? Doesn't really count. You can go to almost any Karaoke bar in America on a weekend and find the next big "country star" Fly em up to Nashville, clean em up. get em some clothes find a studio band and a songwriter and let the mass marketing machine go to work. We'll see where all the AI "winners" are in 10 years. I'm betting it won't be anywhere near the top of the music charts though. I can proudly say I have never watched one episode of American Idol..........ever.
I just read an article this morning that put a lot of the  American Idol contestants on the charts and several in the #1 spot on the list.  AI is in it's 8th year and and the first winner Kelly is still on the charts.  So Mr "never watched a show" Can you wait 2 more years to be proven wrong?   Whats with the negativity and denial with you guys?

Chargerrtforme

Oh, here's some info from last years winner:
Season 7 winner David Cook went on to break a number of Billboard chart records, even taking out one of Miley Cyrus' albums (watch it, Cook). He's still on the rise, but at only a year out, it's tough to tell whether he'll end up a Kelly or a Ruben.

O.K here's another:
When resident bada$$ Chris Daughtry was voted off the show, he felt the voting public made a mistake. He went on to form his own band (aptly named Daughtry). They won several Grammys and their first album debuted at No. 1. Take THAT, America.

More you say?:
Jordin Sparks has a platinum record under her belt. No Grammys, but she got a 'Worst Slipup' MTV VMA when she made a remark about the Jonas Brothers and "sl*ts." Now she's going on tour with the Jonas boys. Nicely played, Jordin.

Chargerrtforme

O.K how about:
The third season winner, Fantasia Barrino, has been nominated for eight Grammys and starred in the Broadway musical "The Color Purple."She's now been cast in the film adaptation. Definitely a recipe for turning "Idol" star power into Oscar gold.

Just another "Country girl"

Season 4 winner Carrie Underwood took off, winning four Grammys and has broken through as THE country sweetheart. However, her most coveted award came when PETA named her "World's Sexiest Vegetarian."

Lets not forget:
After finishing seventh in Season 3, Jennifer Hudson did the ultimate reality-contestant turnaround, winning an Oscar, a Grammy and A-list status in the film and music business.

Chargerrtforme

OOOooops silly me, did I forget :

Inaugural "Idol" winner Kelly Clarkson has staying power. In the past 7 years, she's seen Grammys and platinum sales and has managed to maintain a firm hold.

Hey you pros are right AI is a joke. ::)

69bronzeT5

People are fighting over American Idol.......? :scratchchin: :lol:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

69DodgeCharger

All mass marketed "manufactured celebrities" Like I said go to almost any Karoake bar and you can find a singer and "turn" them into a star. As far as the Grammys I happened to watch them. I remember when I was a kid eagerly anticipating them. I'll never watch them again after what I saw this year. What a sad display of subpar meaningless music.

Not a one of these people has any lasting power.....Not one! Kelly Clarkson will be lucky to be booking county fairs in 5 years, Fantasia Barrino? Broadway plays huh? Carrie Underwood as the next country sweetheart? Sure until the next better looking version comes along, in a year or two. Jennifer Hudson, some talent but was propelled to greater heights than she should have been becasue of the tragedy involving her family....Everybody loves an underdog

David Cook taking out Miley Cyrus. You should be ashamed of yourself for even mentioning her as a celebrity.

Daughtry/Coldplay.......two really crappy bands you won't be hearing about in a few more years Jakob Dylan,Sponge and Sublime were cool once too, or Maybe 3 Doors Down yeah what are they up to now. Or if their all too busy/booked up maybe we can get the Spin Doctors?

Jordin Sparks.....Poof your 15 minutes is over

Rueben Studdard, Clay Aiken, Taylor Hicks.....it's just endless. Those names will make for some tough Trivial Pursuit questions in about 5-10 more years. All artificial manufactured entertainment. Just like all the other performers and fads that come and go.   Dont Drink the Koolaide

Chargerrtforme

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 22, 2009, 12:28:22 PM
AI is big big big bucks my friend, and were not fighting, just getting the facts straight. :yesnod:

Chargerrtforme

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on April 22, 2009, 12:41:23 PM
All mass marketed "manufactured celebrities" Like I said go to almost any Karoake bar and you can find a singer and "turn" them into a star. As far as the Grammys I happened to watch them. I remember when I was a kid eagerly anticipating them. I'll never watch them again after what I saw this year. What a sad display of subpar meaningless music.

Not a one of these people has any lasting power.....Not one! Kelly Clarkson will be lucky to be booking county fairs in 5 years, Fantasia Barrino? Broadway plays huh? Carrie Underwood as the next country sweetheart? Sure until the next better looking version comes along, in a year or two. Jennifer Hudson, some talent but was propelled to greater heights than she should have been because of the tragedy involving her family....Everybody loves an underdog

David Cook taking out Miley Cyrus. You should be ashamed of yourself for even mentioning her as a celebrity.

Daughtry/Coldplay.......two really crappy bands you won't be hearing about in a few more years Jakob Dylan,Sponge and Sublime were cool once too, or Maybe 3 Doors Down yeah what are they up to now. Or if their all too busy/booked up maybe we can get the Spin Doctors?

Jordin Sparks.....Poof your 15 minutes is over

Rueben Studdard, Clay Aiken, Taylor Hicks.....it's just endless. Those names will make for some tough Trivial Pursuit questions in about 5-10 more years. All artificial manufactured entertainment. Just like all the other performers and fads that come and go.   Don't Drink the Koolaide
Ah, No.  Not some, but all of your opinions are way out there.  And Jennifer's tragedy was after her success.

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 22, 2009, 12:28:22 PM

No fight I'm just saying these people are not real stars. If they were they wouldn't be using AI as their springboard for their 15 minutes of fame, or 20 in some peoples cases.

It is more a case of the Entertainment industry exploiting the hopes of these people and the very short attention span of the American Public for a financial windfall. Now those are some real facts for you

Ponch ®

Quote from: Chargerrtforme on April 22, 2009, 12:03:13 PM
Season 7 winner David Cook went on to break a number of Billboard chart records, even taking out one of Miley Cyrus' albums (watch it, Cook). He's still on the rise, but at only a year out, it's tough to tell whether he'll end up a Kelly or a Ruben.

O.K here's another:
When resident bada$$ Chris Daughtry was voted off the show, he felt the voting public made a mistake. He went on to form his own band (aptly named Daughtry). They won several Grammys and their first album debuted at No. 1. Take THAT, America.

More you say?:
Jordin Sparks has a platinum record under her belt. No Grammys, but she got a 'Worst Slipup' MTV VMA when she made a remark about the Jonas Brothers and "sl*ts." Now she's going on tour with the Jonas boys. Nicely played, Jordin.

50 Cent and Kanye West have sold more records and won more awards than any of those hacks, but if you're one of the rap haters, I bet you'll say that they're talentless.

Selling millions of records and winning awards don't necessarily mean that one is talented. It means that millions of people CAN be wrong. I mean, Hootie and the Blowfish sold like 20 million records, for chrissakes.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

69DodgeCharger

Ah, No.  Not some, but all of your opinions are way out there.  And Jennifer's tragedy was after her success.

Out there opinions....could be. Lets talk about their careers in 5-7 years and see how they are doing? I'm thinking my predictions are going to be closer to the mark.

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 22, 2009, 12:48:40 PM
Quote from: Chargerrtforme on April 22, 2009, 12:03:13 PM

O.K here's another:

More you say?:

50 Cent and Kanye West have sold more records and won more awards than any of those hacks, but if you're one of the rap haters, I bet you'll say that they're talentless.

Selling millions of records and winning awards don't necessarily mean that one is talented. It means that millions of people CAN be wrong. I mean, Hootie and the Blowfish sold like 20 million records, for chrissakes.

But now Darius Rucker ( I think that's Hootie's real name) is settling for Burger King commercials in a cowboy hat if I remember right?

SeattleCharger

an american idol thread on the charger site?   now I've seen everything.   :lol:

ok, but who doesn't like carrie underwood, country rocks!  specially pretty girls that can sing, taylor swift?  mmm

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Chargerrtforme

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on April 22, 2009, 12:52:20 PM
Ah, No.  Not some, but all of your opinions are way out there.  And Jennifer's tragedy was after her success.

Out there opinions....could be. Lets talk about their careers in 5-7 years and see how they are doing? I'm thinking my predictions are going to be closer to the mark.
Then why aren't you talking about Kelly 8 years after and still out there?  See how you are out there?

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on April 22, 2009, 12:56:28 PM
an american idol thread on the charger site?   now I've seen everything.   :lol:

ok, but who doesn't like carrie underwood, country rocks!  specially pretty girls that can sing, taylor swift?  mmm

C'mon.....Country music has been the same mass marketed celebrity of the week garbage as AI since the mid 90's at least. Most real country music died a long time ago.

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: Chargerrtforme on April 22, 2009, 01:04:48 PM
Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on April 22, 2009, 12:52:20 PM

Then why aren't you talking about Kelly 8 years after and still out there?  See how you are out there?

Kelli Clarkson is at the end of her "mediocre" run, she's getting old, she's getting fat and she's becoming unmarketable as far as the music industry goes. Newer, but necassarily better has replaced her. Like I said watch for your county fair fliers in your area.