News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8.75" axle markings

Started by 68RRFlyer, April 02, 2009, 08:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RRFlyer

Hey Guys,

I posted this over on Moparts and nobody's replied yet so I figured I'd give it a shot here.  I'm detailing up the axle on a 68 Charger R/T and have found several markings I'm not quite sure of.  Here's what I've found:

1.  Yellow "242" upside down on the driver's side axle tube.  I know this is the axle code and it matches the build sheet's code as well so no mystery there...

2.  Below that is a white "X 11 2" that's upside down as well.  That is the assembly date, and it's in a month, year, week format.  But for a 68, that's not making much sense to me.  The last number is almost not discernable, so the "2" may be something else but based on the yellow "2" above it, it looks pretty close.  Any ideas???

3.  On the axle carrier, it's a 742 case with a 3.23 open ratio.  There is a white "6  3" stamped under the center rib on the driver's side.  That's supposedly the final assembly date.  I've done some research and that number is supposed to be three to four digits, not just two.  No evidence of any third number as they are pretty crisp and not too faded.  Anyone want to guess how that deciphers?

4.  Rear axle dome shows a large "D" in yellow paint.  My 69 Charger has a large yellow "B" with a small white slash/circle above that.  Any thoughts on what the difference between the "B" and "D" would be?  Later years have different letters, so I've noticed.  Why mark the rear axle?  Maybe to differentiate from A, B, and C bodies?

5.  Light blue dot on the driver's side axle housing, just outside the carrier.  That light blue color mean anything in particular?

I know that axles and such were not built at the plants and were usually transported in from outside suppliers, so I understand that some of the marks are from those suppliers and not necessarily Dodge or Chrysler related and may never be known.  Just curious to see if anyone may know about the date codes.  Thanks!!!

Cheers  :cheers:       
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

maxwellwedge

8-3/4's have tons of markings.
The D is probably 1968 model year.

Have a look here.

http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/product_review.htm

Shakey

A few threads about them on this site as well.

68RRFlyer

Thanks for link, but they show more markings but not what they mean.   I'll check this site to see what I can find.

cheers  :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

maxwellwedge

What is the SPD of your car?

hemi68charger

This is what I have thus far... Next challenge is the "242".....

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

68RRFlyer

SPD of the car is June 18th, 1968.  It's a late 68.

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

maxwellwedge

Well if you look at the pics on the site I posted under 1968 ROADRUNNER - 3.55 Sure-Grip; Manual Drum Brakes
Build 4-15-68

The bottom of the rib has just 2 numbers -  a 4 and another number I can't make out...Month/Day...April ?

Yours has a  6 3 ....June 3rd. I don't know who's site you were on but I often see only 2 sets of numbers there. I just checked 3 of my cars and they each have just 2 sets of numbers in that location. See pic of my late June (69) built car.  6 20...June 20th

The D is D Series - 1968. They started using the body designation in 69 for B-Bodies "B". In 70 they used the body and/or the year series. On E-bodies I have both an E on some and an FE on others. I have a "G" on the back of a '71.

I need to remember your X 11 2 date coding....I'll get back to you on that one.

68RRFlyer

Excellent info Max.  That last number is what I'm not positive on in the X 11 2.  It may be X 11 8 but based on the yellow 242 above it, that number sure looks like a 2.

OK, so the D means model year 1968.  That makes sense and the B is for a B-Body starting in year 1969 as is on my Charger.  Understood, here's the number's thing on the carrier...

What you say makes sense based on my car's SPD.  The info I got about the three numbers was on the MMC Detroit site under markings:  http://www.mmcdetroit.com/ICCA/References/Inspection_Marks/Inspection_marks_1_23_2003-1.html  and it says "3 or 4 digit stamp on underside of rib on left side" so that's where I got the three-four digits from.  You explanation makes perfect sense.

I'll stay tuned on that white date code deciphering....thanks a million!!!!!

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

maxwellwedge

And that is why those people should not be judging cars.  ;D

I will get you the other info - just got to dig it out.

Here is the rear for a '69 Charger.

:cheers:

68RRFlyer

Yeah, my 69 looks the same.   :2thumbs:  The markings on that car are way clearer than the 68's.  69 was from Portland, so it's got next to no rust on the axle, just a lot of mud that has kept the markings looking new.  The 68 is from VA and has a lot of surface rust on the dome and tubes.  Markings are visible, just faded.  Looking forward to the info. I'll try and resize my photos and post the picture of the stamping.  Does that white 'X' in the circle mean it's been checked over after it's been put in the car?  Thanks again!

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

maxwellwedge

The first pic is a Portland car. I have 4 cars from there and they are incredible. Look at the original dip color on the floor pans....and that was before I cleaned. The last pic is a Canadian car...still good considering the crap we drive through up here. 7 months of winter and 5 months of bad skiing!  ;D

Lots of different thoughts on the circle-x. Less than a quarter of my cars have one so it may be one style of inspection. Everyone puts them back on now even it was never there. Looking forward to your pics.

68RRFlyer

Let's see if this worked....Yeah, the Portland car's marking's are pristine.  Really neat to see them so clear after 40yrs. 

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

68RRFlyer

My 69's driver's side tube...

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

68RRFlyer

another of the 69's dome markings....

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

maxwellwedge

X 11 2     
X = Inspector's letter (can be different letters assigned to different inspectors)
11 - November
2 - 2nd day

Funny thing is this seems farther apart in dates than normal between the center section and the housing but anything's possible.

68RRFlyer

Stupendous!  :2thumbs:  Thanks Max.  You're right, that's a far span between the dates.  I know for a fact the axle's original.  Dan bought the car new and he's never had axle changed, although it was rebuilt.  Where if you don't mind me asking, find that info? 

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

resq302

Wow, that is a long lead date for them being installed onto your car.  What is the general accepted rule?  1-3 months before the spo date?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto