News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

98 DODGE

Started by dodgeboy67, November 10, 2005, 06:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgeboy67

MY CAT IS PLUGGED ON MY 1998 RAM 1500.....THE NEW ONE IS QUITE COSTLY,AND THE REST OF THE EXHAUST IS SHOT  TOO...... SO I WAS TOYING WITH DUAL EXHAUST

HAS ANYONE EVER USED THEM O2 SENSOR SIMULATORS/MIL BYPASSES?????

I INTEND ON USING 2 HIGHFLOW CONVERTERS SO IT WILL BE LEGAL,

IM JUST CURIOUS HOW TO GET THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO STAY OFF/ AND STILL HAVE THE TRUCK RUN RIGHT

ANYONE ATTEMPTED  PUTTING TRUE DUALS ON A TRUCK LIKE THIS?

rtman99

I use to have a 99 Dakota R/T with the 360  and used  what was called a Kat box on it since i gutted my cat  and never had any problem with the check engine light.   I do know of some companys that make a true dual set up for the Dakota's  that might work for a ram other then length.

dodgeboy67

cudaken

You will need to check with your state, in MO and IL where I live and work at a Midas you cannot change over to ture duals. I know it dumb but as the law was written "No modafections of pollution control devices are aloud". Had a friend that got a shop to do a ture dual set up on his T/A with dual converters. His car passed the sniffer but they still failed him do to the fact it was not stock?

What kind of prices have you gotton? I guessing it is a drecit replacment one. Ask about a unversial converter, normaly half the prices. Try a small Mon and Dad shop as well and stay away from the big chains shops. Watched my owner sell a guy a $1200 convert set up for a 92 LIC Town Car (has two on each side) but a unversial set up could be had for $400.00 a pair.

Also try Auto zone and other retail out lets as well.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Todd Wilson

Cudakentay is right.   Lots of dual exhaust setups on newer vehicles are dual out the back but are single to a single cat.   If you put cats back on you need to hve your O2 sensor/sensors working otherwise you will eventually plug up your cat.

Todd

John_Kunkel

What you can do with your exhaust depends on whether you have state testing.

A '98 falls under OBD II and to conform with the law only an approved OBD II catalytic converter can be used as a replacement and I don't know if there are any hi-flow replacements. Dual cats can't be used since routing the exhaust through two cats cuts down the heat needed to make the cat work properly.

Of course, if there is no state testing your concience and your checkbook is your only limiting factor.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

d72hemi

Are you sure that your CAT is cloged? you can be geting the check engine light from just your O2 sensor going out. that however could clog your CAT due to the engine going into full rich. I have know of 5 trucks/cars that have has the cloged CAT material "un-cloged" and they passed CA (1 UT) emmissions tests. I beleive that the Corvettes (At least Z06) run a true duel.

dodgeboy67

the check engine light never came on..........first the truck was reving, but i wasnt gettin any power.....so i thought maybe the clutch was slipping,......but then it just started running like crap ...(previously, the cat was rattling inside,then it stopped....so i assume it is plugged).....so i cut off the converter and now it runs fine.....just sounds like a tractor

im just trying to put duals on because most of the existing exhaust is crap too....

Todd Wilson

Also if you bought the truck new there is an 8 year 80000 mile emission warranty they dont like to tell you about. The CAT is covered under this warranty if it is truely bad. My cat was rattling real bad and was replaced under this warranty.

Todd

dodgeboy67