News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oh no! ...drip drip drip

Started by 70charginglizard, July 29, 2005, 09:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

Bad news...I drove the lizard in to work today and found that I'm leaking either tranny fluid or oil real bad! it's dripping at the base connection point of the engine to tranny area. God I hope it's not the rear main seal!!!
It's been running fine ever since the engine rebuild three years ago and all the sudden, this?

Maybe I'll be lucky and discover it's just a loose or bad oil senser. Cross your fingers for me. I'm going to go home early and start to investigate.

Any guesses?

70charginglizard

Wakko

Check the rear of the valve cover gaskets, it can drip down and look like it's comin from the rear seal.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

BigBlockSam

QuoteCheck the rear of the valve cover gaskets 
:iagree:

happened to me with my 69. i bought it a couple of towns away and when i got it home it was leaking real bad. i thought it was the rear main seal. it turned out to be the valve cover gasket.  good luck with the lizard
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

BrianShaughnessy

If it is a rear main,  Indy makes a new style billet retainer.   I believe 6T9 has one on his motor.   New and improved  :icon_smile_cool:

http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/bilrearmains.html

Good luck with that.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Daytona Guy

I thought mine was leaking too, my Yellow one, and I checked the valve cover and everything seemed fine. So I tore the pan off and changed the main seal. Guess what, it was my oil sending unit. It dripped down into that gully and right down the ridge and I could not tell. Did you put a high volume pump on when you rebuilt it? Some of those oil sending units just can't take the startup pressure. I hope that is your problem. Replacing the mail seal was easy. I was surprised. I hate the split seal design. Idiotic. They need to design a RM seal that is one piece like the new cars have today.

70charginglizard

Quote from: Daytona Guy on July 29, 2005, 11:46:30 AM
Did you put a high volume pump on when you rebuilt it? Some of those oil sending units just can't take the startup pressure. I hope that is your problem.

It's one of those Mopar Performance oil pumps.
I'm very supicious of the oil sender. Especial with how quickly the problem poped up. One day "no leaks" today, a steady drip drip drip. I'm heading home at 12 noon and gonna get under there and get dirty. I'll get back with you all and let you know what it was.

Thanks for the input.

70charginglizard
70charginglizard

psykicpup

my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

70charginglizard

Quote from: Daytona Guy on July 29, 2005, 11:46:30 AM
I thought mine was leaking too, my Yellow one, and I checked the valve cover and everything seemed fine. So I tore the pan off and changed the main seal. Guess what, it was my oil sending unit. It dripped down into that gully and right down the ridge and I could not tell. Did you put a high volume pump on when you rebuilt it? Some of those oil sending units just can't take the startup pressure. I hope that is your problem. Replacing the mail seal was easy. I was surprised. I hate the split seal design. Idiotic. They need to design a RM seal that is one piece like the new cars have today.

Daytona guy...did you have any change in oil pressure thru the gage when you had your problem? because I was watching the gage and it was showing pretty steady pressure on the way in today.
70charginglizard

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Daytona Guy

My oil pressure was lower. After changing the unit it did go up a little. My unit leaked along the lower lip. Not enough to notice any pressure loss because the rest of your engine seeps oil all through it, bearings, lifters, rockers and so on. Just check it good with a mirror and a clean finger. I wish I did.

70charginglizard

Quote from: Daytona Guy on July 29, 2005, 02:37:53 PM
My oil pressure was lower. After changing the unit it did go up a little. My unit leaked along the lower lip. Not enough to notice any pressure loss because the rest of your engine seeps oil all through it, bearings, lifters, rockers and so on. Just check it good with a mirror and a clean finger. I wish I did.

Well, thats what it was.
that irritates me. I put a brand new one in when I built that motor.
So do they make a sending unit that can take the pressures pushed out by the performance oil pumps or am I going to have to deal with this problem again in a couple years?

Anyway. Thanks everyone for the input. New parts on it's way and should be in the car by this evening.

Thanks god it wasn't the rear main seal.

:)
70charginglizard
70charginglizard

8WHEELER

Kelly it will most likely never happen to you again ever, I have never had one do
it yet in 27yrs of having these cars and I run between 60-80psi oil preasure just
off of idle and about 45-50 at idle. You will more likely get a main seal leak like I
am starting to get on my 15yr old rebuild oh well time to get the good rear main
seal that I had not heard of before till now  ;D

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

69_500

I wish that my oil pressure gauge even worked. I am begining to worry about it.