News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

another 1968 engine question

Started by Fore40, November 10, 2005, 09:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fore40

Hi my name is Dave and I am a new member here and several times out in my car people have shouted out hey Nice Charger, anyway my question is anyone out there with a 1968 built before jan of 68 383/426/440 engine with the VIN # stamped on the block at the rear top bellhousing area near the OPS unit? They say that Chrysler didn't start VIN stamping until jan of 68. All the date codes on the block indicate it was casted before the cars production date of Oct 26, 1967. If they didn't start Vin stamping till Jan 68 then why is my transmission case stamped with the cars correct VIN# anybody here have a early 1968 block with a Vin stamp on it?

Thanks
Dave 68R/T

A bunch of times people have called out "nice charger"

ck1

I have a 383 block in my 68 that has a date of 6-29-67 on it and my build sheet has the shipping date code #131 or scheduled production date for     1-31-68 and a part Vin# or sequential number stamped on motor #8B274628......thats like 7 months when engine was cast tell scheduled production date........I suppose the engine didn't get put in the car right on 1-31-67? could have Been put in a couple months before then but boythat seems a long time ::)
CJK

ck1

Quote from: ck1 on November 11, 2005, 12:55:25 AM
I have a 383 block in my 68 that has a date of 6-29-67 on it and my build sheet has the shipping date code #131 or scheduled production date for     1-31-68 and a part Vin# or sequential number stamped on motor #8B274628......thats like 7 months when engine was cast tell scheduled production date........I suppose the engine didn't get put in the car right on 1-31-67? could have Been put in a couple months before then but boythat seems a long time ::)
CJK

ck1

Quote from: ck1 on November 11, 2005, 01:01:29 AM
Quote from: ck1 on November 11, 2005, 12:55:25 AM
CJK

John_Kunkel

The Federal Government year starts on January 1 but the automotive year starts around August 1 of the previous year.

The Feds didn't require engine/trans stamping until January 1, 1968 but many got the stamping before the required date.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Fore40

thanks john & ck,

ck it looks like Chrysler had lots of 383's on the shelf ready for production being your 383 was cast 7mo before it found a home in your car, the 440 in my car was cast 3 weeks before the cars production date of 10/26/67...john in your opinion if all the numbers/date codes check out on my block can it be called a numbers matching engine even w/o a Vin# on it.

Thanks
Dave
A bunch of times people have called out "nice charger"

John_Kunkel

Keep in mind that the fender tag/build sheet production date of the car is the "planned" production date, the actual build date could vary as much as a week or two.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.