News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question on 383 Super Commando

Started by Dave22443, November 12, 2005, 12:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave22443

Hi, newby here so please don't flame me.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

I have a '68 Charger with a 318 in it.  The car was originally a 383HP car and I want to put a 383 back in it.  Purchased a '69 Super Commando 383 w/727 on eBay out of a plymouth.  I've heard that the Super Commando was a 383HP with 440 heads and cam.  First, is this true?  I will be running headers and I want to swap out the intake with an aluminum one.  What intake should I get?  One that will fit a 383?  Or one for a 440?  Or will the same fit both?  Any other information on this particular engine you feel like throwing out there would be great too  :icon_smile_tongue:

Thanks!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Troy

383 and 440 engines have interchangeable heads and the 383 you bought would have has the same heads as all 440s in '69. As for aluminum intake, the Holler Street Dominator is popular but it's out of production so you need to grab a used one. You'll need an intake to fit a 383.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dave22443

Thanks for the fast reply Troy.  When looking at intakes, I noted that it looked like the 383 and 440's took different intakes and thats why I asked.  With 440 heads, I wasn't sure what I needed.  383 it is then!

-Dave

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Ghoste

Super Commando was the marketing nickname Plymouth gave their high performance engines.  It is the Plymouth counterpart to the Dodge Magnum engines.

cudaken

Welcome to the site Dave.

I will take the heads part just a little farer. Excpet for the 67 440 HP and 413 and 426 Maxie wedges all heads where the same on any 383 or 440 year to year. 1970 383 2 Barrel will have the same head's as a 383 HP, 440 4 barrel, 440 HP and 440-6 pack as well. This applys all across the board, 74 400 2 barrel will have the same heads as a 74 440 HP. Driffrent casting where used threw the years, but same casting was used on all made that year as a ruel.

Second there are two faimlys of big block Mopar. They are normaly refred to as B and RB blocks. RB stands for Raside blocks. Block is about a 1/4" taller on each bank and make the engine a 1/2" wider than a B engine.

B block's are 350(first and all most never seen) 361, 383 and 400's.

RB are 383 (never seen one in person and more than likely never will) 413, 426 Wedge and 440.

Main parts that can not be interchanged betten the 2 Big Blocks are intake's, intake gaskets, distributors, push rods, rods, cranks and pistons.

To make it juct a little more diffacult there where sub familys of the B and RB's. Steel and cast cranks. Steel cranks are balcned all in side of the engine and cast crank use the flywheel or converter as a blancer as well. Cast cranks started in 74 with the 400 engine and 73 for the 440. Easy to spot, steel cranks front blancer is about 1/2 to 3/4 thick, cast are around 1.5" thick.

On the intake, I had great luck with the Edelbrock DB4. You can find them on E-bay for around $75.00 and good all around intake.

Hope I was of some help and did not make you head hurt.

Cuda Ken
I am back