News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SEM Self-Etching Primer on the Plastic Grill?

Started by Mfr426, November 12, 2005, 09:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hello all, I was going over the hints in how to paint your Charger grill. This is the thread.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,49.0.html

It mentions to use Sems Self Etching Primer. Is that product for steel and/or plastic? I think I have the paint but I think it says for steel and/or aluminum. It does not mention plastic? Is there a Sem self etching primer for plastic?

Thanks for any help.

Mike R in Reading PA

Drop Top

They make a plastic primer also. But, you should spray on an adhesion promoter first. I use a product called Bull Dog. You should be able to get it at the same place you picked up the primer.

Mfr426

thanks Drop Top. Yep, I saw on SEMs site the plastic primer after I posted the question. I'll inquire about the adhesian promotor when I'm at Klines.

Thanks

Mike R

Shakey

Self etching means that there are acids in the primer so it can sink or etch itself into the metal.  You do not want to use this on plastic.

SEM sells two products to be used on plastic prior to painting.  I purchased all of these products:

SEM Platic Prep - 38353
SEM Sand Free - 38363
SEM Trim Black Paint - 39143
Eastwood's Argent Wheel Paint - # not handy

But for some reason I don't think I used the sand free.  Can't remember.

You can and should use either Eastwood's or Sem's self etching primer on the grille / headlight support panel that bolts to the fenders prior to painting it Eastwood's Under Hood black.