News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will 400 truck exhausts mount to a 440 block our of a car?

Started by Headrope, November 12, 2005, 04:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headrope

Will the center dump manifolds off a mid-70s 400 block mount to a 440 out of a car?
My understanding is that the heads are interchangible on B and RB blocks, making the exhaust manifolds interchangible as well. Yes?
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

48chebbie

yes,they will fit fine,although you will need the long nuts from the truck they came off of. i think the truck manifolds require 4 of the long nuts per side.
how'd i do that!?!?!?

dkn1997

will they flow better than HP manifolds?  I bought a set of hp's off the bay and have about 200 into them including purchase price, media blasting, and eastwood coating.
RECHRGED

8WHEELER

I don't see how the center dump manifold could clear the steering shaft on the left side on a car.
But yes it will bolt right up to any big block head.
Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

beedees

Yes, but if you are swapping a 440 in place of a 400, be aware that the exhaust may not bolt up. A 440 is taller and wider than a 400. ;)

Nacho-RT74

remember the exhaust pipe flange bolts hole position, they are on different positions  along the years so probably you would need to modify the pipe flange.

beedees... they match, difference is practically none to install them.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Headrope

A buddy of mine has a 440 out of a car in his truck. I have a 400 out of a truck that will be going into my car. Our thinking is that we can switch exhaust manifolds and both have what we ultimately wanted. From your replies it looks as if we're correct.
Thanks for the reminders about the flange hole alignment possibly being a fitment issue and thanks - yet again, again - for the quick replies.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Headrope on November 13, 2005, 02:24:52 PM
A buddy of mine has a 440 out of a car in his truck. I have a 400 out of a truck that will be going into my car. Our thinking is that we can switch exhaust manifolds and both have what we ultimately wanted. From your replies it looks as if we're correct.
Thanks for the reminders about the flange hole alignment possibly being a fitment issue and thanks - yet again, again - for the quick replies.

Using the car manifolds in the truck you will probably have to notch the frame a little bit for them to work. The truck engine will have different waterpump housing then the car engine.

The center dump truck manifolds are getting hard to find and are expensive when you find them. They flow very good and the A body guys like them when they put big blocks into the old A bodys because they fit.

Dont forget the truck oil pan is different as well. Its not a direct bolt in swap.

Todd

cudaken

Yep Head Rope, it will work. Reason they where all so quick? Where not working a Mopar today, I was. ;D

Use the 383 pan as stated.

Trucks manafolds are worth $200.00 ??? Threw a set away not that long ago. :icon_smile_angry:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Todd Wilson

Quote from: cudaken on November 13, 2005, 06:38:10 PM

Trucks manafolds are worth $200.00 ??? Threw a set away not that long ago. :icon_smile_angry:

Cuda Ken

I have seen them go for higher!

Todd

Headrope

$200!!! Really?
Wow. To think of all the money I could have made over the years. I've given several of the away.
Lessons learned, yet again, courtesy of Dodgecharger.com.