News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another 318-440 swap question (s)

Started by toqwik, November 12, 2005, 11:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toqwik

Ok, question 1 is I know I have to change the yoke on my driveshaft (68 charger) I went from a 727 sb tranny to a 727 bb trany.  Wil I have to shorten my driveshaft, or is it a direct swap. 

(2) on the back of the 440, where the oil sender is, to the right of it a few inches is a plug bolted in.  Can I remove this plug to install a aftermarket oil pressure fitting.  it is a manual guage.

(3) Is the line on a manual water temp guage long enuf to reach to the water pump housing, or will I need to use an electric guage?

Thats it for now, thanks
Scott

RD

Quote from: toqwik on November 12, 2005, 11:09:25 PM
Ok, question 1 is I know I have to change the yoke on my driveshaft (68 charger) I went from a 727 sb tranny to a 727 bb trany.  Wil I have to shorten my driveshaft, or is it a direct swap.

its a direct swap, and you do not need to swap out the yoke, they are the same length.  Now one may be for a small u-joint and one may be for a big u-joint, if that is the case you can get a combination u joint, part number 347 (precision) and that will work.

(2) on the back of the 440, where the oil sender is, to the right of it a few inches is a plug bolted in.  Can I remove this plug to install a aftermarket oil pressure fitting.  it is a manual guage.

Yes, you can do that.  Sometimes those plugs have been in there for a long time, so you may have to heat it up with a torch to loosen it.

(3) Is the line on a manual water temp guage long enuf to reach to the water pump housing, or will I need to use an electric guage?

Thats it for now, thanks
Scott

If you are getting an aftermarket water temp gauge, it may be long enuff.  There is a plug on the side of the block that you may put that into also, but your temp guage will read a lot higher due to its vicinity to the cylinder bores.

hope this helps.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander