News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

iced clone

Started by BPTRacing, April 24, 2009, 04:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPTRacing

Well, Progress has been slow, but I figure an update is warranted since I have some new pics.

The car is in the chassis shop getting a 25.5 NHRA roll cage. All of the wonderful solid metal floors have been cut out and the tire set on stands to get measurements for the rear end width. Things should start to really get going now, and hopefully I will have a "rolling" chassis in 6-8 weeks.

Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

nascarxx29

Nice. You going with the look of the yellow superbird Prozac car.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

BPTRacing

I still have a little cutting to do on the trunk hinge support to get the wheel tubs in, but for the most part it is ready for the new round tube frame rails.

Test fitting the patched front fenders.

And this is how I left it on Friday

No work on it this week, as I am getting ready for the Chrysler Performance Trade Show/Swap meet at the Indianapolis fairgrounds this weekend.

BPTRacing

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 03, 2010, 11:52:37 AM
Nice. You going with the look of the yellow superbird Prozac car.

Hmm - not sure I am familiar with that car.

But I'm sure you can supply me with photos to jog my memory!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

nascarxx29

It was at mopar nats ohio.Gotta find picture its was wild kind of remined me of Wally Edlers daytona that was also at the nats.But the superbird didnt have the blower I think

http://www.streetfire.net/photo/HotRod-Photo-Shoot_1757905.htm

Here it is appears green in these pictures .But yellow as I recall saw it at the nats
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,49726.msg544075/topicseen.html#msg544075 kind of

hotrod98

Reminds me of this one a little.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hotrod98

Maybe I should hold onto my Superbird clone project.
I might want to build a pro street version of my Black Ice bird.

Charles Addams

nascarxx29

Drop one these one piece front end make it quick fastener or linear actuator cylinder tilt nose front end superbird

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,14670.msg714584/topicseen.html#msg714584

BPTRacing

OK, I remember the show room pics, and I think I saw the car at MoNats several years ago.

While I do plan on having a custom mounting for the front clip, I want to keep the stock appearance, so no 1-piece frt end. I am intending to have quick release system for the nose and fenders to ease access for motor maintenance. But, hopefully once the hood is closed it will have a more "stock" appearance.

moparstuart

nice stuff scott  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nascarxx29

BPRacing :2thumbs: :2thumbs:Couldnt help notice you had a 1 of 237 as I recall RT lime green coronet conv .Always wanted one but found the wingcars easier to find.But had 70 RT Super Bees .And kept my original low mile survivor N code 383 4bl burnt orange on burnt orange buckets console AC Disc brakes car.All the snow and ice melted and it was still there

BPTRacing

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 03, 2010, 12:44:54 PM
 BPRacing :2thumbs: :2thumbs:Couldnt help notice you had a 1 of 237 as I recall RT lime green coronet conv .

The R/T convertible could take up another entire thread on its own! LOL :2thumbs:

Its serial # was 100400 - little known tidbit - apparently serial #'s 100400 to 100410 were all same color, all well optioned. As if for some special order or event. Mine was PW, PS, PDB, 6-way seal, A/C, Am-8track, rally dash, console, 440, Auto, 3.23 8-3/4, 15x7 rally wheels)

In short, I saw it on the road one day while peddling my bike delivering papers. It was in decent shape. Offer the maximum I could come up with at 16 years old - $1800 (this was 1976). He wanted $2400. Two years later, little worst for wear, I offered $1200, he wanted $1800. More years, more wear, flat tires, no longer driven, I offered $800, he wanted $1200. another year, more neglect, carb and air cleaner in the front floor board, flat tires, 6 parking tickets, I offer $400, naturally he wanted $800. Finally in '81 I got a call from the local junk yard (a regular thing for me back then) "got an ugly Lime Challenger vert we just towed in you might want to get parts from". Wasn't interested in a E-body so I never made the trip. 2+ months later saw the R/T in the junk yard lot. Had been sitting on a police "hold" for parking tickets. After 90-days the yard could file for a junk title. Found out it had been there 88 days. Called the guy and offer $100 for the title. He wanted $400.  ::)  Drove to his house with the $100, knocked on the door to show him cash money. He said he wanted more. About that time his wife literally bumped him out of the doorway handed me the signed title and the glass missing from the door mirror and grabbed the $100 bill.

$45 towing and $290 in parking fines and storage charges I finally had the car (should have paid the $400). Water had the block rusted solid. Found a Plum crazy 70 R/T hard top 440 4-speed Dana car on the used car lot (poorly repainted to a B-7) with a bad timing chain and bent valves - no compression on 4 cylinders. Picked it up for $372, and used it as the parts car and motor donor. Got $300 for the 18-spline 4-speed and 3.54 Dana! Used the money to rebuild the motor in Jr. College shop class.

Sold the car in '85 just before the car prices went up  - got $5200 which I used to buy a new (last years model) '84 Daytona Turbo to drive for my new service job with Pitney Bowes. The R/T is still around the area in a garage. Same paint I put on it in '81. The gut is interested in my GTX once it gets a little further along. Never know, I might just do the trade to have the old car back again! The guy never drives cause even after him owning it for 25 years he still gets people asking him if that's "Scott's" old car?  :laugh:

1983 Car Craft Street Machine Nationals!

BPTRacing

Nascarxx29 - I always liked the Super Bees - but closest I got was cloning my 71 500 into a 71 Bee for my first street/strip car. Which start the BPT Racing (Big Purple Thing Racing) back in '91

moparstuart

Quote from: BPTRacing on March 03, 2010, 01:23:12 PM
 BPRacing :2thumbs: :2thumbs:Couldnt help notice you had a 1 of 237 as I recall RT lime green coronet conv .

The R/T convertible could take up another entire thread on its own! LOL :2thumbs:

Its serial # was 100400 - little known tidbit - apparently serial #'s 100400 to 100410 were all same color, all well optioned. As if for some special order or event. Mine was PW, PS, PDB, 6-way seal, A/C, Am-8track, rally dash, console, 440, Auto, 3.23 8-3/4, 15x7 rally wheels)

In short, I saw it on the road one day while peddling my bike delivering papers. It was in decent shape. Offer the maximum I could come up with at 16 years old - $1800 (this was 1976). He wanted $2400. Two years later, little worst for wear, I offered $1200, he wanted $1800. More years, more wear, flat tires, no longer driven, I offered $800, he wanted $1200. another year, more neglect, carb and air cleaner in the front floor board, flat tires, 6 parking tickets, I offer $400, naturally he wanted $800. Finally in '81 I got a call from the local junk yard (a regular thing for me back then) "got an ugly Lime Challenger vert we just towed in you might want to get parts from". Wasn't interested in a E-body so I never made the trip. 2+ months later saw the R/T in the junk yard lot. Had been sitting on a police "hold" for parking tickets. After 90-days the yard could file for a junk title. Found out it had been there 88 days. Called the guy and offer $100 for the title. He wanted $400.  ::)  Drove to his house with the $100, knocked on the door to show him cash money. He said he wanted more. About that time his wife literally bumped him out of the doorway handed me the signed title and the glass missing from the door mirror and grabbed the $100 bill.

$45 towing and $290 in parking fines and storage charges I finally had the car (should have paid the $400). Water had the block rusted solid. Found a Plum crazy 70 R/T hard top 440 4-speed Dana car on the used car lot (poorly repainted to a B-7) with a bad timing chain and bent valves - no compression on 4 cylinders. Picked it up for $372, and used it as the parts car and motor donor. Got $300 for the 18-spline 4-speed and 3.54 Dana! Used the money to rebuild the motor in Jr. College shop class.

Sold the car in '85 just before the car prices went up  - got $5200 which I used to buy a new (last years model) '84 Daytona Turbo to drive for my new service job with Pitney Bowes. The R/T is still around the area in a garage. Same paint I put on it in '81. The gut is interested in my GTX once it gets a little further along. Never know, I might just do the trade to have the old car back again! The guy never drives cause even after him owning it for 25 years he still gets people asking him if that's "Scott's" old car?  :laugh:

dude i love that car   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: BPTRacing on March 03, 2010, 01:23:12 PM
 BPRacing :2thumbs: :2thumbs:Couldn't help notice you had a 1 of 237 as I recall RT lime green coronet conv .

That is one funny story.  Amazing.  A friend of mine in Bethany Ct where I live had the same exact car and color.  For many years it sat in his back yard until he got it up and running. I used to see him driving it around town with his buddies in the back seat, top down. Twin of that car.  :2thumbs:  I think when the prices went crazy in the 80's he finally let it go.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

moparstuart

hotrod98

How's your project coming along Scott?
We took our Superbird to a show in Hot springs on an open trailer last week and stopped by the drag strip on the way home to watch our son run his Super Pro car. Everyone went nuts thinking I was going to race the bird. That gave us the idea of possibly building a Super Pro car out of my Superbird clone project that no one seems interested in buying.  I really want to race something that stands out. My 71 sassy grass barracuda race car doesn't stand out enough. I like different.  ;D

I just bought a very nice low mile 1999 Classic Terminator 28' trailer and I'll use the 80 Dodge crewcab dually that I bought from Howie to pull it. A Superbird clone drag car will fit right into that combo.

Who's making the fiberglass hoods for the birds. I have just about everything else to build a nice Superbird drag car.

Charles Addams

BPTRacing

I have sorta been keeping the supplier "secret", but it is Glasstek in Plainfield IL. They list for $440 and look great. I am trying to have poeple order them through me so I can get a "distributor" status with them and try to get some discount pricing for their superbird parts. However I haven't been getting many orders.

My project is moving more slowing than I was hoping, but Since I am now working for NHRA as a member of the Division 3 Safety Certifications team. I have had less time to work on the car. I seem to be spending most of my weekends working at race tracks doing tech on cars. Kind of a dream job for me! Get paid to go to the races!

I think a Pro or Super Pro project would be great for your SuperBird clone!  I do have some great contacts for performance parts when your ready!  :cheers:

Scott

tan top

that hood looks a well made  :yesnod:   :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hotrod98

At some point, I'll need to order a hood if I go ahead with the Super Pro Superbird project. I'll continue racing my 71 Barracuda this summer and I'm getting ready to start assembling my 70 Barracuda racecar. The 71 is too nice of a car to tear up racing it so I really want to put it back stock and possibly sell it later this year. That would give me the funds to build the race bird properly.
You mentioned Division 3. The trailer I just bought was owned by a division 3 racer out of Springfield, IL. He raced a late model Camaro in T/S. I'm meeting him at the track in St. Louis tomorrow to pick it up. Seven hours up... seven hours back. It's going to be a long day.  ;D

Charles Addams

Dave Kanofsky

Scott -

Who's Blue race bird is that, and are there any more pics of it?  That looks cool...
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

BPTRacing

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on May 17, 2010, 10:06:46 AM
Scott -

Who's Blue race bird is that, and are there any more pics of it?  That looks cool...

Dave that is a car out of Texas with a "homemade" nose. I was looking to buy it about 2-3 years ago, but could not come to an agreement on the price. The story I got was the car was apart, the owner was terminally ill, and he wanted to sell the car. It was listed on the internet but didn't sell. It reportedly got put back together and was raced again. I have not been able to get a response from the E-mail address I had in the last 2 years, so its current status is unknown. 

BPTRacing

WOW - time flies - especially when NOTHING was getting done on the car.  :brickwall:

I debated starting a new thread, but figured what the heck I'll just revive this one.

After the U.S. Nationals in Indy, I sat down with the chassis guy and we came to an agreement which would get him started back on my car! :poke:
:2thumbs:

So FINALLY I have some new stuff to look at.  :drool5:

First, Cartel Chassis has now moved to a newer shop, so everything had to be transported across town, which was a pain, but was reassuring in that I could see all my parts in person to verify I did indeed still have enough pieces to finish this project! LOL

After determining where the main hoop was to be, the cross member and frame rails went in to place.

Then I dropped off a mock-up block and transmission so we could determine how much of the firewall still needed to be trimmed and where the transmission cross-member should be located.
While I am not planning a Hemi at this point in time, I want to be sure one would fit if I ever decided to go in that direction. And before anyone has a chance to question the transmission - it is a 4-speed automatic from a different manufacturer which is being considered since it can be modified to handle the 1200-1500hp range I am shooting for, and still give me an over-drive for street driving.

And FYI - I am loving the extra room on the sides of the motor by installing the Alter-k-tion and whacking off the shock towers!  :woohoo:

Also - note the proto-type wiper motor block off plate on the firewall, which we hope to market to the race crowd once it gets proper anodizing and finish milling.  

While Joe was doing chassis stuff, I cut the rear quarter panels to extend then out enough to accommodate the 33x21.5x15 tires with out rubbing.  :hack:

Hope to have the chassis "rolling" in the next few weeks - only 9 months behind schedule.

hotrod98

I have to have a ride in that car. How about MMW, St. Louis, 2011?

Charles Addams