News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

improper torque shaft?

Started by charger_lady, April 24, 2009, 01:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_lady

Back in '05 when we had the Charger restored the guys removed & replaced the tranny. Since then we have NOT been able to get all the gears. We knew we needed the tranny to be rebuilt and we just had that done with the same problem...when we set the linkage up in park we don't get manual lows & when we set it up from 1st we don't get park or reverse. We've checked with another 69 charger with the 727 auto on the floor and the only thing that looks different is the bracket welded to the torque shaft. Buddies is pointing slightly towards the back where ours is pointing straight to the side????
I'm thinking that there's a great chance that the body shop put the wrong torque shaft in our Charger. It wouldn't be the only thing they screwed up on!!!
My hubby was sooooo looking forward to drop her into manual low...what a disappointment when we have the same problem. We have had too many tranny guys look at it over the past couple years and we just want to get her fixed!

Any ideas from you trusted Charger owners/mechanics????

John_Kunkel

There are a couple of (or more) while plastic bushings at the various pivot points in the linkage, have you checked top make sure they're all intact and not worn out? These bushings just love to fall out and cause enough slop in the linkage to prevent selecting the end gears.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

charger_lady

Thanks...I'll check on those.
The console is out right now & I'll take a pic later today.
I'm not sure how many bushings there should be or where exactly they go.
I'm still wondering if the body shop put the wrong shaft in...they were not very organized when they restored our car...parts were just tossed into boxes  :'(

charger_lady

Here's a couple of pics John_Kunkel...how do you think the plastic bushings look?
Are they where they should be?

John_Kunkel

There's another plastic bushing below the floor, you can see it and its bracket in the image below. It's not unusual to find the bushing (and sometimes the whole bracket) missing.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.