News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rebuilding 440, going to look at used parts

Started by SeattleCharger, November 13, 2005, 02:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeattleCharger

Hello, I found a guy selling some used parts.   He is a Mopar fan, has lots of cars, says he has rebuilt tons of engines, and that he is just cleaning off his shelves and unloading some stuff.   Do these seem like a good way to go?   I have no carb or intake at this time, I have some stock manifolds, and I have no cam at this time, I don't know the condition of my lifters, I was just going to buy all this new (a Holley 870 street dominator) until I saw this ad. My 440   is apart and going to be bored and rebuilt, I could get all this for 180 sounds like, and might have to rebuild this carb, but the money I could save . . .   any opinions?

DODGE 440 4 BBL. INT. MAN. W/ 850 CFM CARB $55/OBO

CAST IRON SPREAD BORE W/ GOOD 850 CARTER CARB. RAN GOOD WHEN PULLED. NEED SPACE-MUST GO!!

Here is the cam:     DODGE-MOPAR PERFORMANCE CAM &LIFTER SET $45/OBO

USED ONLY 10 HRS. FOR BREAK IN. 1 BOLT TYPE. ALSO HAVE TIMING CHAIN SET.

He also has this:              MOPAR/DODGE EXH. MANIFOLDS '70-UP 383/400/440 HP

SURFACED, SANDBLASTED, COATED. FROM '72 440 CHARGER, WILL FIT '70-'74 CUDA-CHALLENGER, '71-'74 CHARGER/GTX/SATELLITE/ROADRUNNER, AND OTHERS. NEVER INSTALLED. $100/OBO/TRADE.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

cudaken

DODGE 440 4 BBL. INT. MAN. W/ 850 CFM CARB $55/OBO CAST IRON SPREAD BORE W/ GOOD 850 CARTER CARB. RAN GOOD WHEN PULLED. NEED SPACE-MUST GO!! (only if you want a spread bore intake, if only sat a year carb might still be OK. Hard to rebulid a thremaquad and get to run right)

Here is the cam:   DODGE-MOPAR PERFORMANCE CAM &LIFTER SET $45/OBO USED ONLY 10 HRS. FOR BREAK IN. 1 BOLT TYPE. ALSO HAVE TIMING CHAIN SET. (part number of the cam is a must, should have the cam checked out before intall. Was the lifter stored or marked to which lop they came from? That is a biggie, swaping them around after ran that long will make them ware the lope flat fast. Plus you need to match the springs to the cam)

He also has this:MOPAR/DODGE EXH. MANIFOLDS '70-UP 383/400/440 HP SURFACED, SANDBLASTED, COATED. FROM '72 440 CHARGER, WILL FIT '70-'74 CUDA-CHALLENGER, '71-'74 CHARGER/GTX/SATELLITE/ROADRUNNER, AND OTHERS. NEVER INSTALLED. $100/OBO/TRADE (that is a fair prices, I just sold a pair to Troy for that and could have got a little more. But thanks to Troy the site is back up)

Cuda Ken
I am back

SeattleCharger

Thanks Ken.     Well, I did go and buy the stuff.   The guy had a huge shop with lots of equipment and was really knowledgeable and seemed trustworthy.  
     The cam is a Mopar Performance hydraulic cam that had the measurements .430/260degrees, didn't know the rest, but said I could look at the mopar performance site under hydraulic cams and put in those first two measurements to get the other specs.   It still had the purple paint on it.   The lifters are individually bagged with oil on them and marked to where they go, but he said they are so new that at this point putting them in different places prob. wouldn't matter anyways.  

The manifolds are in excellent shape so I bought those.  

Ya, he said I was taking my chances with the thermoquad as far as maybe needing to rebuild it, but that it might be ok.   Hope so.   At this point I only have twenty five bucks into the thermoquad.   

Could you explain about the intake manifold?     I didn't pick that up yet, he had to get it out of storage this week, he said that it would be thirty bucks.   Does this carb have to have a spread bore manifold?     What does that mean?      Would you recommend getting this manifold from him?   I guess if I buy an Edelbrock higher rise intake and Holly street dominator car I will still have to have the Holley tuned a bunch.  And spend a lot more.  I was hoping this manifold I might get from him and this Thermoquad will work pretty well.

He also told me something interesting about bulding the motor.   In regards to going up to a bigger cam than this, he said one trick is to get bigger rockers, like 1.6 or 1.7, then you can fool the motor into thinking it has a bigger cam, so to speak, without having to switch cams.   You only have to take the valve covers off and switch the rockers.   Although I guess rockers can cost as much as a bigger cam in the first place, what do you think about this?  

cudaken

Your cam is a P4286675, power range is 1000 to 5300 RPM's and listed as Mild comp & Performance Rv. Other words will have a smooth idle and have a broad power curve. Should pull real good around 2200 RPM's.

On the thermoquad, it is a spread bore and will not work on any after market intake as is that I can remember off the top of my head. You can get a adapter and will fit after market intakes. Been a long time sense I ran one. Will need to look at hood clearnces. Front barrels of the carb is real small, so will make a lot of bpttom end power and will work great with the cam. Secondaries are huge and will keep up with the upper RPM's as well. When they work right, they are hard to beat. I loved the one I had around 1983.

Intake would be fine, but will be the most limting factor. But with your max power at 5300 RPM's will still work fine.

Yes the 1.6 or 1.7 will make the engine think it has a bigger cam. Cost is more than a bigger cam but easyer to do that is for sure. Just stay away from the cheap ones of E-bay.

Best thing to do now is post in the Performance's section.

Cuda Ken

I am back

SeattleCharger

Thanks again Ken.  I will start posting over there.   I am a little dissappointed on the characteristics you described of the cam.   Dang.  The cam was supposed to be a little hotter than an Edelbrock Street Performer or something like that, can't remember the name, and was what was in Superbees and TnT's, the hot rod factory motors, etc.  He said the good thing about it was that it was Chrysler factory specs and that the lobes were wide like they were supposed to be.   Well, I am learning more here at least.

The thing is, I don't want a smooth idle at all, wanted it to be a little lopy, somewhat of a hotrod car, not a drag or anything.  I have a 2500 stall, so I don't care about the power coming on strong at 2200 really.  A broad power band is fine, but don't want the thing mild or smooth idle.  At this point, would you recommend just buying a different spec cam or using this one and doing the 1.6 rocker way?   
    On the intake, would you recomment trying to use this 850 thermoquad with a better performance intake with an adapter? 
Thanks,
Nate

cudaken

Nate, if you wanted a nasty cam, well, there was a reason I said get the number first! ;)

Here the specks on yours

260/260 duration 430/430 lift, here is a stock HP cam 268/284 duration 450/458 lift. Yep milder than the stock HP cam. If you want to pull a boat with your Charger you have the right cam.

If you are looking for a cool idle and work well with the stall you have I like the MP P4120235. Has 284/284 duration and 484/484 lift. Power range is 2200 to 5900 Rpms. I ran that cam with a Troker intake and Thermaquad and it worked pretty good. But did do better with a 750 Holley, but lost some bottom end. That brings up the stock HP exhaust manafolids. They are on the boder with that cam.
Won't kill the gains, but headers would help.

Snow ball effect and all.

Cuda Ken
I am back

SeattleCharger

Quote from: cudaken on November 15, 2005, 12:04:42 PM

Nate, if you wanted a nasty cam, well, there was a reason I said get the number first! ;)

:brickwall:

Quote from: cudaken on November 15, 2005, 12:04:42 PM
If you want to pull a boat with your Charger you have the right cam.

haha, Well, forty five bucks for a nice performance RV cam to hang in my garage as a decoration.   I am pleased with buying the hp exhaust manifolds at least, and I'll try the thermoquad, thanks for the recommendation on the cam and intake, I will try those.  

cudaken

Might look at the CHB4 from Edelbrock as well. Good soild bottom end and still pulls well till 5700 RPM's and looks stock pretty much. Better off idle than the Troker, but I still like the Troker. Mine is the old verson from 1977.

Cuda Ken
I am back

SeattleCharger

Thanks Ken.
Can you tell me the site to order that cam?   I want to order the cam now while I have the money set aside.  

When you say:  

"Good soild bottom end and still pulls well till 5700 RPM's and looks stock pretty much. Better off idle than the Troker, but I still like the Troker."  

"Looks stock" meaning that it will fit under the hood?         

Will these intakes work with an adapter with the Thermoquad 850 I have now?   Can I go to a Holley 750 from the Thermoquad without changing the intake?   Just taking off the adapter?     Thanks again, sorry for all the questions.   I would like the most performance intake I can get (within reasonable price of intakes that is)   and still fit under the hood.  

Chryco Psycho

the cam is available from Summit , Jegs , or a local mopar dealership shop for best price
most alum intakes will accept either the spread bore or square bore carbs , the Holley street Dom is a great intake with lots of hood clearance & a low price new , part #300-14 & is highly recommended