News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What are body differences between 69 and 70?

Started by AirborneSilva, November 13, 2005, 07:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AirborneSilva

As some of you may know I bought a charger from HLPAG and got screwed royally on the deal.  I will pretty much have to replace the back half of the car as well as the floor pan and a few other parts.  I am trying to either get them to buy the car back (yeah good luck there), or at the least give me half my money back (I'm not going to exactly hold my breath on that one either), anyway, we have sent off letters to the Illinois AG as well as to HLPAG stating the afore mentioned and the reasons why.  So, I'm trying to look ahead and see what my options are for parts.  Can anyone (and I'm sure there are many), tell me what the differences are in the body parts from a 69 to a 70.  I pretty much know what they are from 68 to 69 so the fenders wont work for me (cause of the marker lights), but don't know enough about 69 to 70 and if I could possibly find a donor 70 charger then I need to know what parts I can use.  Thanks for the help and for reading my ramblings  :icon_smile_big:

Spartan

Well, I know the hood turn signals are different,  the grill is different and I think the radio is different.  I think allot of the sheet metal is the same.  The tail lights and the paint on the tail end is different from 69 to 70.  There are quite a few components that are interchangeable for all 3 years.  Best bet is to get a resto book and read thru it.  I have read mine probably 3 times already. It helps allot but does not answer everything.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Blown70

I thought the basic tail was the same meaning the tail lights,  Some of the optioned 70 have a Tail light cover.  I think the side markers are different all three years.

The trunk lid, roof, door ( not door pannels, interior), rear 1/4 could work if you want to leave the 70 tail lights in... only you may know...or a good charger person,

Trunk pan, Frame rails, etc.  The lower valance in the rear is the same.

The dash is different due to the electric headlight doors on a 70.  I think one other switch may be too. Window washer,  the key on  a 70 is in the steering not on the dash.

Hope that helps some.

Tom

hope that helps some.

Spartan

69 and 70 tail lights are interchangeable but the 70 has a differnt inset reflector.  I think some I have sen lately have a thinner black section around the tailight with body color past the molding where a 69 has black over the entire tail section.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Blown70

Quote from: Spartan on November 13, 2005, 10:48:53 PM
69 and 70 tail lights are interchangeable but the 70 has a differnt inset reflector.   I think some I have sen lately have a thinner black section around the tailight with body color past the molding where a 69 has black over the entire tail section.

Ahh yes you are correct.  I just went out to look at the 70 yep, same basic look, differnt lense...

Tom

Troy

As for the body, the main differences are all in the front end. Obviously the fenders, hood, grill, front valence, and front bumper are different. The side marker light holes might be a different shape but I am not positive on that (I know the 69 used reflectors and 70 had lights). I'd have to check to see if the scallops in the doors are different (I know the hood indentations are so the hood turn signals won't fit). The tailpanels are the same I believe but the lights are different. Floor pans, frame rails, roof, trunk lid, tail panel, cowl, rad support, inner fenders, wheelhouses, quarters (unless markers are different), and engine crossmember should all interchange. All glass is the same. Inside, the seats, steering column, dash frame, gauge cluster, radio, and lower door panels are different. The upper door pads, console, rear seats, armrests, headliner and bows, carpet, and pedals are the same.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

AirborneSilva

Thanks for the info guys, I think that my bigest concerns were that the marker lights were different as well as the tail lights and valance too, since I will need to probably replace most if not all of that. 

Spartan, I didn't know I could get a resto book for my car, where did you get yours and whom makes it?

Blown70

Quote from: AirborneSilva on November 14, 2005, 07:34:28 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I think that my bigest concerns were that the marker lights were different as well as the tail lights and valance too, since I will need to probably replace most if not all of that.  

Spartan, I didn't know I could get a resto book for my car, where did you get yours and whom makes it?

We would be your best source.  At least IMO,  I have read many wrong resto books...

The tail pannel should be the same overall.  I may be able to get one for you however this one needs some care too as how it was cut was horrible.

cudaken

Tony, main thing you need is the frame rails and maybe the tail light panel. Been a while sense I seen the PIC.

I would look but would need to get a Tetanus Shoot first :icon_smile_big:

Ken
I am back

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Blown70 on November 14, 2005, 10:28:35 AM
Quote from: AirborneSilva on November 14, 2005, 07:34:28 AM

We would be your best source.   At least IMO,   I have read many wrong resto books...

The tail pannel should be the same overall.   I may be able to get one for you however this one needs some care too as how it was cut was horrible.

Cool deal, then I'll just save my money for Charger parts  :icon_smile_big:

AirborneSilva

Quote from: cudaken on November 14, 2005, 10:29:30 AM
Tony, main thing you need is the frame rails and maybe the tail light panel. Been a while sense I seen the PIC.

I would look but would need to get a Tetanus Shoot first :icon_smile_big:

Ken

Yeah Ken, I think I will update my tetnus shot before I start to work on that thing  :o  I thought that if I could get a donor charger then I can get most of what I need for the back end and maybe the floor pan too but I do agree that the frame rails are the most important thing at this point...

cudaken

Dig up the old PIC you posted and get the link for the yard in TX. Think they wanted around $350.00 plus shipping. Take a lot of work to cut out what you need Tony.

Ken
I am back

AirborneSilva

Ok Ken, here's a couple of pictures.   We gave HLPAG until the 21st to respond then we will follow up with the Illinois AG (we also sent them a copy of the letter).   Man I get depressed looking at those pictures  :icon_smile_sad:

cudaken

We need to have a pity party. Your buying. ;) I woukld still rather fix your than work on my 440. :icon_smile_big: It is crused. :icon_smile_angry:

Ken
I am back

AirborneSilva

Yeah a pitty party, hooah, here's the first round   :cheers: but I think we are going to need something a little stronger then beer for this one

cudaken

No you don't Tony, all you need is me full of Cam 2. Lets set up a time to talk. Plane ticket, places to sleep, pocket change and cam 2 and I am there. :icon_smile_big: Funny part you think I am kidding, Not.

Have Beer will Travel Ken
I am back

AirborneSilva

Ken, that offer just blows me away!!  and yes, we do have to talk. 

cudaken

Tony, will you send me the PIC in a E-mail, all of them. Second, when can we talk, I am central time. I think it is next Monday, I have un limted calling then.

Ken

I am back

Charger_Fan

Quote from: AirborneSilva on November 17, 2005, 02:23:53 PM
Ok Ken, here's a couple of pictures.   We gave HLPAG until the 21st to respond then we will follow up with the Illinois AG (we also sent them a copy of the letter).   Man I get depressed looking at those pictures   :icon_smile_sad:
Dayumm!! :o
My parts car doesn't even look that bad! That's most of the reason why I can't bear to finish parting it out. :crazy:

*EDIT* I just saw your thread with the other pics of that car...I hope you're able to get some good recourse from those dirtbags! :flame:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

AirborneSilva

Quote from: cudaken on November 19, 2005, 05:42:34 PM
Tony, will you send me the PIC in a E-mail, all of them. Second, when can we talk, I am central time. I think it is next Monday, I have un limted calling then.

Ken

I will see if I can invite you to my page on photobucket that has the pictures, it will be eaiser that way.  Everytime I try to send you something to your aol account it doesn't get delivered  :(  We can talk anytime you want, I am Arizona time, we don't change our clocks so we are an hour a head of Calif. (if it's 6 pm there then it's 7 pm here, for instance).  I have nextel, so if you do to then we can direct connect, I have nationwide direct connect.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on November 19, 2005, 06:19:47 PM
Quote from: AirborneSilva on November 17, 2005, 02:23:53 PM
Ok Ken, here's a couple of pictures.   We gave HLPAG until the 21st to respond then we will follow up with the Illinois AG (we also sent them a copy of the letter).   Man I get depressed looking at those pictures   :icon_smile_sad:
Dayumm!! :o
My parts car doesn't even look that bad! That's most of the reason why I can't bear to finish parting it out. :crazy:

*EDIT* I just saw your thread with the other pics of that car...I hope you're able to get some good recourse from those dirtbags! :flame:

Thanks, we gave them until Monday in our letter to them to respond to us.  We have also filed a formal complaint with the Illinois AG, so we will see what happens from here. 

cudaken

Tony, got it just fine and thanks, I grapped the PIC I wanted. Man, its hard to believe the thing set level.

I will call you Monday and we will chat. If we work something out with me coming out I will give you details of what will need to be there and done so I don't waste your time.

Ken
I am back

AirborneSilva