News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

zinc or not necessary

Started by mjwebb, May 07, 2009, 12:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwebb

turns out my engine was just rebuilt with hydraulic lifters, roller rockers, etc. so since it's no longer a flat tappet motor can I use any new oil, 10W 40?

firefighter3931

Quote from: mjwebb on May 07, 2009, 12:55:43 PM
turns out my engine was just rebuilt with hydraulic lifters, roller rockers, etc. so since it's no longer a flat tappet motor can I use any new oil, 10W 40?

Are you sure ?  :scratchchin: Hydraulic lifters are available as both a flat tappet and roller design.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Roller rockers are not the same as roller lifters, I would bet the same as Firefighter and that you still have flat tappet lifters.

mjwebb

ok, thanks....I guess I'll just play it safe and run the Rotella 15W 40 since it is safe for either or

Ghoste

The Rotella formulation has changed, you're pretty much stuck with using an aftermarket zinc additive.
A long thread but stickied for a reason, this is a good read on zinc levels and oil;

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46015.0.html