News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1966 Dodge Charger Head Light Question Please Help.

Started by newbomb, May 09, 2009, 09:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbomb

I have a 1966 Dodge Charger.

I am restoring this car.

I have the complete grill and head light assemblies all detailed.

Grill motors are all rebuilt. 

My question. 

Is there a way to test the opperation of the motors from just the wiring harness for the grill stuff.

I have no other wiring in the car as of now.  Could this be "hot wired" to make sure that all is well, so I dont have to take the entire front end back appart if I have an issue?

Please let me know.

Thanks
Newbomb!

Ghoste

You can run jumpers from a 12v battery straight to the motors to test them that way, I've done it several times.

newbomb

Thanks,

Will that opperate the small micro switches?  What do those switches do?

Rich

A383Wing

No...Ghoste stated that you run the jumper wires straight to the motors...not the micro switches...you have 3 wires on the motor harness...there is 1 under the 2 that are parallel to each other...the single one is the ground...hook that up to the negative side of the battery....then take another jumper wire and touch one of the other 2 remaining wires...motor should rotate one direction, the other terminal on the motor harness is to rotate the motor the other direction.

The micro switches, or limit switches as they are called, are to stop the motors from continuing to rotate once they reach the full open or closed position. All the electrical components should be installed and in good working order for this system to work properly. That is both motors, 4 limit switches, the front grille harness, the 3 relays behind the glove box, the headlight switch, and the circuit breaker behind the drivers kick panel.

If any of these items are not working correctly, then system will not function as it should

A service manual here would be your best friend.

newbomb

I understand about the motor wiring hook up.  I just needed to know what the limit switched actualy did.

Thanks for all the info.

Rich

How does the car look from what you can see?

A383Wing

Ghoste

mauve66

engine bay doesn't look like it is body colored............................ maybe its the sun angle................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

newbomb

It's all Buffed Silver Metalic.

Must be the angle of the picture.

Topher

All of the above mentioned parts are available. I offer new limit switches, and Bryan has the relays. 30 amp breaker is easily obtained also. Check out www.66-67charger.com for a site totally dedicated to first gens.

Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Nacho-RT74

not recomended operate the motor without anykind of load, because could broke accidentally the internal tabs or power points.... I'm not saying is not posible to make it, but not recomended
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by internal tabs Nacho?  I've done it with the 1st gen motors an awful lot of times without any ill effects.  :shruggy:

A383Wing

I agree...you can hook the motor up to power on a bench and watch it go 'round & 'round forever...there are no "tabs" inside these motors