News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car show questions

Started by bull, July 29, 2005, 03:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I probably won't ask this question right but I'm wondering about different classes of entry in car shows. I understand there's a modified and stock division but when does one become the other? How much modified stuff can you have on your "stock" car before it becomes modified? Disc brakes ok? Electronic ignition? 4bbl instead of the stock 2bbl? What other classes are there? Daily driver, race? I've never entered a car show, never judged one and never really paid attention to that stuff when I've gone to them but now I'm starting to wonder.

PlumBad70

This happend at a show last year, but a bone "stock" 68 charger came in and they put him in the modified class, and you wonder why.......because he had different rims, on it and not over the top rims, almost knockoffs of cragers....i couldn't beleive it...none the less, they didn't have the show this year, too many people complained.
Steve
1970 Charger R/T Sublime
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 4x4

1970 Charger 500

This topic hits me personally
I have a '70 Charger 500 383, original 2bbl, single exhaust....
I have transformed it into a 383 magnum, 4bbl dual exhaust and everything visual to make the transformation.
I have used original parts, correct casting # cast iron intake, dual snorkle air cleaner, heat shield, pie pan, etc.
My engine looks like an original 383 Magnum.  I think you can change or update parts that everyone knows WILL go out, such as, battery, tires, belts, hoses, and the such......so......is my car stock or modified?
The modifications are stock!!!

Paul G

They should state somewhere how many modifications are allowed like on the flyer they usually put out or the registration form or on the table at the registration desk. If you don't see it just ask. The standard around here is 3 modifications will be accepted to remain stock. 4 or more moves you to modified. I have seen some shows allow just one or none. I would rather be in modified than to stay in stock and lose points for modifications.

On my Charger the mods you can see are a Holley carb with Eddy manifold and different rims. I would call that two modifications. One being the engine and the other being the wheels. Exhaust mods are generally overlooked as is tires. They wear out and need replacing no matter what.

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Paul G

Quote from: 1970 Charger 500 on July 29, 2005, 04:57:22 PM
This topic hits me personally
I have a '70 Charger 500 383, original 2bbl, single exhaust....
I have transformed it into a 383 magnum, 4bbl dual exhaust and everything visual to make the transformation.
I have used original parts, correct casting # cast iron intake, dual snorkle air cleaner, heat shield, pie pan, etc.
My engine looks like an original 383 Magnum. I think you can change or update parts that everyone knows WILL go out, such as, battery, tires, belts, hoses, and the such......so......is my car stock or modified?
The modifications are stock!!!

That is usually only 1 mod, the engine. They may not let you go to modified class without 4 mods. They try to stop class jumping because people will look to see who is in modified and if their car has a better chance in modified they will try to move to that class even if they don't belong there.

At most shows the judges are just regular guys like us. They are not going to pull out spec books and examine the vin and fender tag to determine how much of the car has been changed. They basically look for the cleanest cars in the best condition in the class.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

69_500

I know that at the majority of shows there are typically allow 4 changes before a car is considered modified. IE a color change, engine change, tyipcally rims/tires, and one other change before it would be considered modified. However some judges are really picky, and once they saw that I had an aftermarket radiator, incorrect rims, and the wrong brake booster, I was considered modified. However the car that had a HEMI in it, and was a 440 car, with incorrect rims, was allowed in the stock class. Go figure.

bull

Sounds like there are some politics involved.  :-\

69_500

definately politics involved.
At one show I put my 500 in the stock class, and I got points taken off for the wrong radiator, which I know is wrong, and the wrong rims, which I know are wrong.
However the car that beat me in the stock class was also a 69 Charger 500, factory 440 car with a HEMI in it. With the correct radiator for the HEMI but wrong one for the actual car. Had an 054 in it, buildsheet called for an 055. Car was painted wrong color, and had other little things wrong with it. Beautiful car don't get me wrong, but it was far from stock. I don't recall seeing too many stock cars with cd players, or electric trunk locks and such. Oh well just my .02

8WHEELER

Mopar shows should judge a car as stock if

its the original color
has the original engine size
original int color
those are the big ones there are lots more

Modified cars
normaly headers alone will put you in modified
non original engine size, a 440 car with a Hemi should never be in stock class in my opinion
more than three chrome things in the engine bay that did not come stock chrome is modified

Wheels and tires should not matter along with other upgrades like electronic ign.
YES there is to many politics at car shows but there does have to be some kind
of rules or it would be a major cat fight and no fun for anybody.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

69_500

I don't have a problem with a car having an engine size change and being in stock class, however there should be points taken off for it. As long as they change to an engine that was available that year, I don't see a problem with it, but there should be some sort of a penalty.

41husk

most local shows allow 3 modifications but most shows have judges who don't know the difference.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Daytona Guy

This is a tough topic. My Daytona clone fits into the modified class. But it really is over the top for even modified. How would you like "70 Charger 500's" car in the same class with a Daytona clone. They are two different emphasis. My yellow clone does not fit in the Wing car class because it is a clone and even modified at that. My car should be in the wing car modified, but it is not a wing car that was modified. I entered my Red Daytona as special interest. Like what is that? I have no idea what I was up against, a Pacer? I think we should start a thread on what should be the categories for MOPAR shows.

I see the need for three mods until they go modified, because it would not be fair for "70 Charger 500's" Car to go up against a stock 70 500 that kept the stock 2brl and single ex. I do not believe it is politics at all. It is just people trying to be fair. The big MOPAR national shows seem to cover these categories well. But heck, do we really have enough cars at local shows to justify it. If you just have a clone category, you would have a clone Daytona up against a clone Hemi Cuda. I think we all know those cars do not compair. I'm out.

8WHEELER

I think your Daytona Clone should be in 68-70 B-Body modified just like my 68 Charger RT clone belongs. They had a replicar class a couple years up hear but there was only a couple cars in it that actualy were cloned close enough to what the car was be a clone of, so they dropped the replicar class. Yeah it seems that some cars in a mopar show might only fit in a special intertest class but there are very few.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

69_500

I would say that your cloned Daytona belongs in the Modified/Cloned 68-70 B Bodies. It is still a B-body, and if their isn't a class for that it should be in the modified section or cloned section. It isn't bad for a cloned Daytona to be judged against a cloned HEMI cuda convertible or something along those lines.  They are both a cloned car of what one would like to own right?

Ghoste

Unless you're dealing with Corvettes, I don't think there is a real standard anywhere.  It varies from show to show and which of the judges relatives and friends you are competing against.

bluesfool

There's definitely politics involved in judging shows, which is why I guess I'm not too concerned with whether I'm in the stock or the modified class. But since I'm not out to intentionally p*ss anyone off, I've given this topic quite a bit of thought too, only to come up with the answer of "I don't know"  :rotz: I put my car in the stock class when I was at Carlisle this year, but I'm thinking the modified class might be more realistic. The car is set up to stock, with the exceptions being aftermarket rims, electronic ignition, headers, and an aftermarket steering wheel. Oh yeah, MP valve covers/air cleaner and I painted the engine a different color.

69_500

I don't think that there is much a standard when it comes to what is in stock, or what is in modified. I think it varies from show to show.

However if you were to enter in the SME judging at Carlisle i'd say that your car would have been in the modified class not stock.

xp29g

I put my car together last year with the only intentions of going to car shows to park in a safe spot :icon_smile_big:. My 67 Charger is a factory 383 2 bbl, 4 speed car that has 906 heads, Weind intake, 750 Carter, exhaust manifolds and 2 1/2" exhaust, with some 25 year old Champ 500 wheels on it, Black Pearl paint, stock interior with a cd player. Stock? Modified? Rednecked? Heck it don't matter to me as long as I can drive the car to the show and park in the grass to keep from getting door dinged in the lot. This car was built for the sole purpose of  :drive:!

Hey Blue, where are you located, and are you going to the big Party next year?

Topher

bluesfool

I didn't enter the SME competition; I was only in the fun field...I'm too afraid to see what kind of score I would get in an SME judging  :errr:

Hey XP, I'm in Delaware...which show are you referring to?