News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Say Hello to Project "SurpriseBird" (FINISHED) ...Updates Pg. 7 on 12-2-11

Started by CornDogsCharger, June 03, 2009, 08:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB1

Quote from: GL#10 on July 11, 2009, 02:30:57 AM
Corndog

Holysmokes , R-U-S-T  ,  who made the comment "i would have left it alone " ???   yearh right ,    another bird  saved and reborne , cant wait to see this project in person .

Good job .

K.c

Yeah nice driver.  ::) :o :o :scope: :whistling:
What a POS, glad Mr. corndog is on it, can't wait.
Delete my profile

Aero426

Here is exactly what you need.   This is an NOS piece ready to go on a car.   

hotrod98

I would love to see Mike Ross at BE&A or AMD get that part and have it reproduced. What a golden opportunity to make exact copies.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

superbirdtom

I agree, this bird looks like a 70 runner i did 20 years ago i replaced the entire rear of car,  Does anyone make full 70 runner quarters now??

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: superbirdtom on July 11, 2009, 08:07:05 PM
I agree, this bird looks like a 70 runner i did 20 years ago i replaced the entire rear of car,  Does anyone make full 70 runner quarters now??

The 70 quarters are FINALLY in.  We bought a set from AMD.  On the first car they said "They'll be in any day now"... and that was this time last year.  We ordered a bunch of metal and everything came in besides the quarters.  A year and a half later (last week) they arrived.  They are nice but waaaaavy.  Could have just been from being the first batch and they were rush shipped.  Who knows.  I'll post more pictures tomorrow of everything test fit in place.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: Aero426 on July 11, 2009, 09:38:20 AM
Here is exactly what you need.   This is an NOS piece ready to go on a car.   

I'm not sure but I think my boss called you about it but it was too late, he put in an order with Jack at wingcarfab.com

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

superbirdtom

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on July 11, 2009, 09:01:38 PM
Quote from: superbirdtom on July 11, 2009, 08:07:05 PM
I agree, this bird looks like a 70 runner i did 20 years ago i replaced the entire rear of car,  Does anyone make full 70 runner quarters now??

The 70 quarters are FINALLY in.  We bought a set from AMD.  On the first car they said "They'll be in any day now"... and that was this time last year.  We ordered a bunch of metal and everything came in besides the quarters.  A week and a half later (last week) they arrived.  They are nice but waaaaavy.  Could have just been from being the first batch and they were rush shipped.  Who knows.  I'll post more pictures tomorrow of everything test fit in place.

Justin
"CornDog"
were you able to save the drip rail vin?? 

CornDogsCharger

The area around the VIN was still solid... that was a shocker.  I will cut it out and weld it to the new panel.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Aero426

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on July 11, 2009, 11:51:16 PM

I'm not sure but I think my boss called you about it but it was too late, he put in an order with Jack at wingcarfab.com

Justin
"CornDog"

He did call of Thursday.   Is Jack making you complete plug or a partial to splice back in?   

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: Aero426 on July 12, 2009, 09:46:04 AM
Quote from: CornDogsCharger on July 11, 2009, 11:51:16 PM

Justin
"CornDog"

He did call of Thursday.   Is Jack making you complete plug or a partial to splice back in?   

Jack is making us a complete plug for the car.  He said that he has a 70 RR there at the shop that he will test fit the plug to, making sure everything fits like it should.  I'm anxious to see the quality of his plug.  My boss said if he was able to get in touch with you earlier, he probably would have bought your NOS piece.  By the time he talked with you I think he had already sent out a check. 

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

hotrod98

I installed a new AMD full quarter on a 69 Runner. It was pretty decent but the side marker opening wasn't correct and the trunk opening lip wasn't deep enough. It was off a little at the back glass opening and didn't have the drip reliefs at the bottom of the quarter at the pinch weld lips.
It had a few waves, but that's to be expected since they're stacked and shipped in bulk from overseas.
It was a far cry better than trying to use one of those cheap partial quarters.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

CornDogsCharger

After I removed the trunk floor and the rear body, I noticed that the rear crossmember was rust too.... there's a shocker!  Ha  The bumper brackets that were welded to the crossmember were actually in nice shape, so they will be reused.  Here you can see the rust on the crossmember.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Believe it or not, the frame rails were in very good shape.  The only rust damage was on the right rail where the crossmember and rail were welded together.  I cut out the bad and welded in a new piece.  Good as new again.  The insides of both rails were coated with POR-15

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

This is pretty much what the car looked like before I started dry-fitting the sheetmetal.  I dropped the exhaust and removed the vintage air shocks.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Ahh, looks much better now!  Everything to fit very well.  Sure the was a snip here and a little snip there..... and the quarters were a little wavy.... but it was so much better than patching so many little spots here and there.  Plus, it beats grinding out so many layers of body filler.  In the end this car will be so much better.  In the following pictures all of the sheetmetal was dry-fit together and held in place with sheetmetal screws.  I marked everything before I disassembled it so that when I re-assembled it, everything will go right back into place.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

ChgrSteve67

Looking Amazing.

Glad my Charger did not have that much rust.

superbirdtom

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on July 12, 2009, 09:53:35 PM
Ahh, looks much better now!  Everything to fit very well.  Sure the was a snip here and a little snip there..... and the quarters were a little wavy.... but it was so much better than patching so many little spots here and there.  Plus, it beats grinding out so many layers of body filler.  In the end this car will be so much better.  In the following pictures all of the sheetmetal was dry-fit together and held in place with sheetmetal screws.  I marked everything before I disassembled it so that when I re-assembled it, everything will go right back into place.

Justin
"CornDog"

Hemidog

BigBlockSam

you make it look easy .i know it's not . Bravo Justin  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

ChgrSteve67

At this rate Justin will be done with the superbird by the end of the month.

I got a trailer that is about half done.
I'm figuring a case of beer and a few hours and you would have it knocked out.   :2thumbs:
Beer is for when the trailer is done.   :cheers:

:D

tan top

making some good progress  :yesnod:   looking great  nice work going on again  dude  :coolgleamA:   :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html