News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 500 Finally in the bodyshop!!! (Updated)

Started by haueter66, November 16, 2005, 04:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haueter66

I was excited and thought I should share...

Charger_Fan

Cool! Looks like a fairly clean body from here! :thumbs:

What color are you gonna paint it?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

haueter66

The car was 99.9% rust free... only rust was a few pin holes in inner passenger quarter and top edge of windshield... I am going with gunmetal gray ... it was dark green originally... if I had everything to do over again (I have been working on it for 10 years) I would have left it green to save alot of work!  But, I was only 14 when I bought it and I hated the color then... it has since grown on me  :)  Oh well... gray it will be.

Here is the car the day I bought it circa 1996

cudaken

Haueter66, in the PIC of the right quarter panel, is that all filler? Other than that a Charger looks pretty good.

Cuda Ken
I am back

haueter66

Well, sort of... I asked the body man about it and this is what I got.  The quarter was really, really banged up/creased etc. at some point and had just been filled with like 3/4 of an inch of putty... So, What the body shop did was pull everything out as close as they could get it to the correct location.  Then I guess they put a thin coat of putty over the whole quarter which they will then sand to the correct contour... I am not a body man, so I really don't know how bad that is... but they assure me the putty no where is thicker then 1/8 of an inch... and should be much less after sanding...

It looks really good, so I guess I will take their word... What do you guys think?

cudaken

With out seeing it before, during and after I would say you needed a new panel. But I was not there, did not run my hand a cross the panel or see what it looked like after a air file was ran across it. I would go with what they are doing. With out being there it is real easy to second guess, but I was not there so don't give it a second thought.

More PIC when you find the time, I like to look at other peoples work. Might pick up a new trick of the trade.

Cuda Ken                                                           

I am back

haueter66

I would agree with you that the best way would have been a new panel... The guy doing the work is a "freind" of my fathers and I think he was probably trying to save me money (?) ... I dunno... anyway, he knows my budget is limited and that I am looking for the best cross I can get between value/quality.  I guess if it looks decent when he is done I will be happy.  I figure I can always have the car redone when I am older if the bodywork fails at some point.  I really can't complain as he is doing all the body work and paint for $3000.  The only down side is that it is a "side" project so it only gets attention when he isn't busy.  Like I said it's a trade off at this point.  I have owned the car 10 years and never (legally that is) driven it down the road  :'(

I will definately post more pictures as I get them.  Thanks for the input!

73rallye440magnum

i see green! same story on my quarters.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

haueter66

I figure I can always have it re-done some day down the road if it isn't what I want or if it fails... but what I have here is a car that is going to be driven... alot... and I built it as such, so I really don't need a 10k paint job just to worry about it all the time ... I was at the shop again the other day tho, and I'll tell you what... for doing it with filler and not replacing the panel he sure does have it looking good!

haueter66

Ok.  Not really much of an update here, but I was at the shop today and they were at least working on the car... the pass. quarter is looking pretty good... the drivers side is stripped now... the second picture isn't very good because there was dust in the air...

Silver R/T

looks like body is pretty straight. Better color choice too than that green you had on there
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

haueter66

yeah its pretty much rust free... that green was the original color... i never cared for it... although I probably would have left it go if I had to do it all over again just to save a little time/work...

hopefully have it back sometime around first of the year... ill keep my fingers crossed!

haueter66

shop called today, said I better come tomorrow and take a pic cause its ready for primer... WOOT

;D

Ill post as soon as I get them

haueter66

Here are some updated pics ... ready for primer

haueter66

couple more

cudaken

Why was that guy laughing in the one PIC ;D Say he was glad it was not his ;) Just kidding.

That is a lot of filler, could be my Charger. But as lonf as it not to thick you will be fine.

Cuda Ken
I am back

haueter66

the guy in suspenders is my body man... not sure what they were laughing about... my dad is the one in black and my brother in carhart...

it is definately alot of filler... he told me that... but he said he pulled everything as close as possible and its only a thin coat, so hopefully it will last... the car was just very abused at some point in its history...

says he might have it to me by Christmas!!!  :icon_smile_big:

73rallye440magnum

looks cool, lots of filler in there, but if done right it will be fine for 10-15 years. keep us updated.

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

haueter66

Ok.  First stage of primer is complete... here are a few pics.

haueter66

Some more pics from today...

cudaken

That is a lot of guide coat! ;) One of the tricks I like to use s tint the last coat of primer with paint or use 2 colors of primer. Does the same thing.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

haueter66

I hope  :)

it looks good to me, and like I said before ... someday if I have to money I can get a $10000 paint job... for now I think it looks pretty good for $3000 or $4000

should be painted next week, I'll post pics as soon as I have them!

haueter66

Small update... Made it down to the shop today.  They had all the first guide coat off, the low spots filled with icing, two more coats of primer and a new guide coat on and part way off again.  They have been busy  ;D

Here are a few updated pics... although not much has changed really.

73rallye440magnum

wow they are REALLY going to town on that thing... looks cool... hopefully it will block out great. Are you going to have them sand and buff it. Base/Clear or single stage? are they doing all the jams?

haueter66

They are doing the door jams but not the engine compartment or trunk... it will match close I think...

Going to be base clear.  The trunk and engine bay are single stage so there will be a little difference but hopefully minimal.

They said they will wet sand the whole car (primer) before they paint it.  Im not sure what they will do after the paint is on.  I imagine they only touch it after the paint if something is wrong.

He hopes to have it to me by Christmas... best Christmas gift ever... hehe   :icon_smile_big:

haueter66

Ok here it is with the first color coat on... this was today about 1pm.  I am going back tomorrow for more pictures, he figured it would be clear coated by then and then wet sanded and buffed sometime next week.

Charger_Fan

Mmmm...I can almost smell that fresh paint from here... :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

73rallye440magnum

Good for you! That looks really nice. Congrats. I'm sure you are excited to get it home.

4402tuff4u

Very nice job and very nice price!!! Wow $ 3,000, that is a good friend! :icon_smile_big:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

haueter66

Price was quoted between $3000 and $4000.   I imagine the $4000 will be more realistic.   I am very excited to get it home and put back together.   I was over today and the clear is on.   There is some dust in the clear here and there.   He says once it is wet sanded and buffed I will never be able to tell it.   Other than that it looks beautiful... really it looks great even with a little dust...   ;D

The worst part will be that the paint I put on in the engine bay (not a very nice job on my part) doesn't match up real well.  Someday I guess I'll pull the engine and have him do the bay.

Here are a few pics from today.

haueter66

couple more...

cudaken

Looking pretty good in the PIC. Waite till you get it out side, inside lighting make the car look dull.

Cuda Ken
I am back

haueter66

Thanks Ken.  What is your opinion on the couple specs of dust in the clear.  Does wet sanding and buffing really cure it?

cudaken

IF, you know what you are looking for you will see just a hint of them inside under floursant lighting. Out side it will look fine. One of the reason's I try to never let a custmer see there car before it is done.

I would not worry about it, it will look great and only someone like me or Drop Top would fine fault with the work. I have been told by many people my Charger looks great, but I can pick it apart.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Drop Top

Looking very nice. Even the cleanest paint booths will allow some kind of dirt to get in or on the clear. Its just going to happen no mater what. I color sand all my jobs. But all I do is show cars. By color sanding and buffing it will bring out the color much more and it will be more brilliant. From the looks of it, this person is doing a very good job and I'm sure when its done you will not see any dirt in your paint. Like Ken said your going to have to now what your looking for and be really close to your paint. If anyone is that close to your car. You will need to slap him or her. If its a her then she better be thin and in a very small swimsuit. You better have a towel between her skin and your paint. You don't want your paint to get scratched. Don't worry about her skin getting burned. Thats her problem.

I remember a shoot with one of my cars being done. They put her on the fender with a towel to sit on. The paint was so slick she slid off and hit the ground. Her boob fell out and she bruised her butt. What a laugh. She was a trouper though. She got back up. Put herself back together and finished the shoot. Oh they had to get rid of the towel too her skin stuck to the paint and she stayed in place. Getting her off of the paint was a little ruff though.

haueter66

lol

Thanks for the input guys.  I am sure it will look fine when he is done with it... I don't think he really likes people to see it mid way through either, but he has been very gracious to let me come in and take pictures all along... I can't complain there.

I will post some pics once I get it home and sitting in the sun light.

73rallye440magnum

That looks great! I painted my dads truck today, I have been working on it for about 3-4 months now. 78 F-250 Camper Special. Hey, everybody has a charger fund, right? What else are you doing/having done on the car? How is the interior and drivetrain?

haueter66

Drivetrain is a 440 from a 73 camper (forged crank, heavy rods).  Its basically built stock other than its .30 over and the guy that rebuilt it goofed and put in 8.5:1 pistons :(  Has a 727 and 8 3/4 with 3.55 suregrip (clutch style) in a 741 case.  Entire front end is rebuilt with poly bushings.  I added factory sway bars front and rear and also disc brakes up front.  (It was originally a 318 car) 

Lets see, interior is not bad.  I have basically everything redone and ready to go back in except the seats.  I have covers for those, so I just need to get them done.

Overall the work on the car is average.  One must keep in mind two things.  (1) I was 14 when I started and (2) I built it to drive not show.  So the underside is not body color, its por15.  Nothing is built to "mimic" the way the factory did it and I am sure my quality on some things is sub-par.  But I am proud of how much I did on my own.  I have been working on it for 10 years now and can't wait to drive it.  I figure the little things that I did way back when that I want to change can be done as I go.

I appreciate everyone's input also.  This board is priceless for restoring/restifying/rebuilding a charger.

joww3

hey 66, it's kind a funny reading your posts, because it is almost like I am posting it, my 71 is in the body shop and at about the same stage as yours, I should be picking it up this week, Hemi orange, new front end, sway bar, front brake, and most interior ready to put back in except seat cover, I have them just still not finish putting together, I didn't like my engine bay's new color, and I was going to repaint that when I pull the engine, build to drive and not really for show. Very glad and happy to see another 71 being fix up. BTW, very nice  color.

Goldfinger71

1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

Rolling_Thunder

I know the feeling of getting your car painted...     it looks really good...   get her in sunlight and you wont notice much like Ken said...     What color is that ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

haueter66

its supposed to be A4 gunmetal gray metallic.

it is not the exact color though.  the guy painting it color matched his paint as close as possible to the 1971 dupont color sheet.  I love the color though regardless.  It is hard for me to know for sure if it looks right because I have seen 3 cars that are supposed to be "gun metal" and they all look different to me.

So, I call it A4, but technically it might be a shade off... who knows.

The car came home from the body shop today.  I will try to take some pics tomorrow and share.  It looks amazing.

71Charger500

Quote from: haueter66 on November 16, 2005, 06:14:44 PM
The car was 99.9% rust free... only rust was a few pin holes in inner passenger quarter and top edge of windshield... I am going with gunmetal gray ... it was dark green originally... if I had everything to do over again (I have been working on it for 10 years) I would have left it green to save alot of work!   But, I was only 14 when I bought it and I hated the color then... it has since grown on me   :)   Oh well... gray it will be.

Here is the car the day I bought it circa 1996

Sweet Mines a 71 500 too.  What engine you running?
1971 Charger 500 383 mod...
Takin' names on the open road.

haueter66

It was a 318 stock.  Now a 440.

Where was yours built?  Mine is from St. Louis and was built March 10.

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

71Charger500

Quote from: haueter66 on December 20, 2005, 07:04:50 PM
It was a 318 stock.   Now a 440.

Where was yours built?   Mine is from St. Louis and was built March 10.

Originally?  Good question I have yet to check all the numbers.  However, the body was in good condition when I got it espically the interior.  Just some paint to touch up here and there.  Im in missouri also, my dad has a dealership, and hes helping my with it, since im still a "noob".
1971 Charger 500 383 mod...
Takin' names on the open road.

cudaken

Did they wet sand and buff the Charger? Like drop said, wet sanding and buffing makes the slick! When I got done with mine you sit a beer can on the truck it would slid off the trunk.

Couple of tips on care of the paint.

1 Don't rub the paint with dirt or dust on it, it will scratch the clear.

2 Buy a Calf car duster to keep it clean, will not scratch the clear.

3 Get a 3 M detailing cloth and Marquers Finaly Inspection cleaner. For when the car has small amounts of drit or water spots. Whole car is not drity but needs to touch up cleaning. Will not scratch the clear coat.

Cuda Ken

I am back

haueter66

Thanks for the tips Ken!  He did sand and buff the whole car... looks great.  Final price was $4000... not bad if you ask me!

Here are some pics I took today.

haueter66

few more pics from today...

TruckDriver

Looks Great!! What state you in again? Just wondering, cause if did it for $4,000, I just might be able to have mine painted next year :icon_smile:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

haueter66

In Ohio.  I got the deal because (1) The guy knows my dad and (2) I agreed to take it to his shop and not bother him about it.  He worked on it when he had time and when he didn't it sat.  Good deal if you ask me!

TruckDriver

Are you going to put any R/T stripes on it? That would look cool!
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Rolling_Thunder

looks great...         personally i would do the hood blackout - Chargers are too big for one color (in my opinion)
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

joww3

Quote from: cudaken on December 21, 2005, 11:46:22 AM
Did they wet sand and buff the Charger? Like drop said, wet sanding and buffing makes the slick!

Cuda Ken

Hello Cuda Ken, is wet sanding done on the color coat and before the clear coat is put on? and if no wet sanding is done then the paint will appear like orange peel? is orange peel consider a bad paint job? because my new paint job looks like orange peel at close up, and the body shop said they still need to buff it when it is all done. he also said the orange peel is because it is a lighter color (hemi orange). thanks.

joe

haueter66

It is getting a hood blackout (with no cutouts) and the longitudinal stripe.  Obiously the bulge hood and blackout are not original, but the car actually had the longitudinal stripe from the factory.  I ordered them from performance car graphics.  The blackout came today, not sure where the stripe is at...lol

I am considering finding a professional to apply them so I don't screw it up.

cudaken

Hello Cuda Ken, is wet sanding done on the color coat and before the clear coat is put on? and if no wet sanding is done then the paint will appear like orange peel? is orange peel consider a bad paint job? because my new paint job looks like orange peel at close up, and the body shop said they still need to buff it when it is all done. he also said the orange peel is because it is a lighter color (hemi orange). thanks.

joe

Boy that is a loaded question and hard to answer with out seeing the car in person.

First this is B/S "he also said the orange peel is because it is a lighter color (hemi orange)". There are alot of things that could cause peel but a solid color like Hemi Orange is a easy color to shoot if a good quality, good covering piaint is used. Don't get worried yet.

"Is wet sanding done on the color coat and before the clear coat is put on"? Can be done either way, I do the sanding after the clear is on. I do good looking paint jobs. Drop Top on the other hand does Show Paint jobs and look at you funny if all the body work was done and perfect and you had $3,000.00 to spend on paint alone. I will post a pic or tow of ones I did that where buffed after paint.

"Because my new paint job looks like orange peel at close up, and the body shop said they still need to buff it". First what is close up? 1", 5". 1' 3' or 5 foot? By the way, when is the last time at a car show did you look at the paint with in 1 foot? 

I am a OK painter, far frome being the best and I normal run a shop, not paint. By Charger was the first car I painted in 5 years or so. Base went on great, then I started to have problems with the gun shooting the clear. Back up gun was K--ked up by the crew so I had to wing it. Clear had some run's and heavy peel. I was just happy to get it done! :icon_smile_approve:

Clear had a shine but peel like a 1988-1990 Ford. (need to be in the business to under stand that statement) Wet sanded and buffed the clear only, did take a while but looks like red glass with in 1 foot. If you know what you are looking at like Drop Top and I, you will see peel in the base. I am Anel, but not that Anel! Drop Top does the super Anel stuff, I do mid garde Anel. :icon_smile_approve:

Bad Paint Job 1 is the way I rolled her out of the booth. PIC was taken 30 feet away and I had to play with it to get the same part of the Charger. It was taken at 3.2 Mega Pix's what ever and has good detail. You will get the idea.

Bad Paint Job is after wet sanding and buffing clear only. Note 41 Husk's 68 Charger and my fat ass in the reflection. Not bad for A $2,500.00 paint job.

Cuda Ken

I am back

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

joww3

disclaimer: Sorry that I took up space in haueter66's topic, but I just can't help myself to ask some questions.
Thanks CudaKen for clearing some of my questions, I think I have a little better understanding of it now. So it is the clear coat and not the base color that will cause the orange peel effect.? My painter painted the hood, doors and trunk lid separately, and that's where I saw the orange peed at a very close distance about a foot or closer. I stop by the shop yesterday on my way to work around 5pm, they were waiting for the color paint to flash (I think that's the word they used) before they put the clear coat on, they put 3 coat of color(I hope that's enough), and they said they will put everything back together, door, hood, lid and stuff, then theywill buff it all at the same time. I just hope buffing will remove the orange peel look. thanks again for your help.

Joe

cudaken

Both can cause the peel, but the clear will make it show more. PIC you just posted looks pretty good to me. Seems like they are doing a good job.

Cuda Ken

PS, most people worry to much.

I am back

haueter66

Just a quick update for you guys following along... new leaf springs are on (eaton detroit) and the painted wheels and new tires are on... here is a pic... not the best but it was raining...

jaak

haueter66, your project is on track and looking great!!!!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Can't wait to see it finished,
Jason

haueter66

Got some chrome and weatherstripping on ... have not had alot of time or good weather to work on it lately... here are a few updated pics... the wheel well chrome is the newly available repro stuff... overall I am satisfied with it if anyone is curious.  I did not have the original stuff so I cannot compare.  But the fit and function seems acceptable.

NHCharger

Wow, looks great. My 71 is in the shop right now getting paint. I was going to post some pics but they keep coming out grainy.

Where did you get the repro trim for the wheel wells, Laysons?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

haueter66

haueter66

Another update, the weatherstrip is all on.  The glass is all in.  Bumpers are ordered and will hopefully arrive soon!!!  ;D

Got to take some nice pics today (it was finally sunny!)