News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 500 Finally in the bodyshop!!! (Updated)

Started by haueter66, November 16, 2005, 04:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

Looks Great!! What state you in again? Just wondering, cause if did it for $4,000, I just might be able to have mine painted next year :icon_smile:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

haueter66

In Ohio.  I got the deal because (1) The guy knows my dad and (2) I agreed to take it to his shop and not bother him about it.  He worked on it when he had time and when he didn't it sat.  Good deal if you ask me!

TruckDriver

Are you going to put any R/T stripes on it? That would look cool!
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Rolling_Thunder

looks great...         personally i would do the hood blackout - Chargers are too big for one color (in my opinion)
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

joww3

Quote from: cudaken on December 21, 2005, 11:46:22 AM
Did they wet sand and buff the Charger? Like drop said, wet sanding and buffing makes the slick!

Cuda Ken

Hello Cuda Ken, is wet sanding done on the color coat and before the clear coat is put on? and if no wet sanding is done then the paint will appear like orange peel? is orange peel consider a bad paint job? because my new paint job looks like orange peel at close up, and the body shop said they still need to buff it when it is all done. he also said the orange peel is because it is a lighter color (hemi orange). thanks.

joe

haueter66

It is getting a hood blackout (with no cutouts) and the longitudinal stripe.  Obiously the bulge hood and blackout are not original, but the car actually had the longitudinal stripe from the factory.  I ordered them from performance car graphics.  The blackout came today, not sure where the stripe is at...lol

I am considering finding a professional to apply them so I don't screw it up.

cudaken

Hello Cuda Ken, is wet sanding done on the color coat and before the clear coat is put on? and if no wet sanding is done then the paint will appear like orange peel? is orange peel consider a bad paint job? because my new paint job looks like orange peel at close up, and the body shop said they still need to buff it when it is all done. he also said the orange peel is because it is a lighter color (hemi orange). thanks.

joe

Boy that is a loaded question and hard to answer with out seeing the car in person.

First this is B/S "he also said the orange peel is because it is a lighter color (hemi orange)". There are alot of things that could cause peel but a solid color like Hemi Orange is a easy color to shoot if a good quality, good covering piaint is used. Don't get worried yet.

"Is wet sanding done on the color coat and before the clear coat is put on"? Can be done either way, I do the sanding after the clear is on. I do good looking paint jobs. Drop Top on the other hand does Show Paint jobs and look at you funny if all the body work was done and perfect and you had $3,000.00 to spend on paint alone. I will post a pic or tow of ones I did that where buffed after paint.

"Because my new paint job looks like orange peel at close up, and the body shop said they still need to buff it". First what is close up? 1", 5". 1' 3' or 5 foot? By the way, when is the last time at a car show did you look at the paint with in 1 foot? 

I am a OK painter, far frome being the best and I normal run a shop, not paint. By Charger was the first car I painted in 5 years or so. Base went on great, then I started to have problems with the gun shooting the clear. Back up gun was K--ked up by the crew so I had to wing it. Clear had some run's and heavy peel. I was just happy to get it done! :icon_smile_approve:

Clear had a shine but peel like a 1988-1990 Ford. (need to be in the business to under stand that statement) Wet sanded and buffed the clear only, did take a while but looks like red glass with in 1 foot. If you know what you are looking at like Drop Top and I, you will see peel in the base. I am Anel, but not that Anel! Drop Top does the super Anel stuff, I do mid garde Anel. :icon_smile_approve:

Bad Paint Job 1 is the way I rolled her out of the booth. PIC was taken 30 feet away and I had to play with it to get the same part of the Charger. It was taken at 3.2 Mega Pix's what ever and has good detail. You will get the idea.

Bad Paint Job is after wet sanding and buffing clear only. Note 41 Husk's 68 Charger and my fat ass in the reflection. Not bad for A $2,500.00 paint job.

Cuda Ken

I am back

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

joww3

disclaimer: Sorry that I took up space in haueter66's topic, but I just can't help myself to ask some questions.
Thanks CudaKen for clearing some of my questions, I think I have a little better understanding of it now. So it is the clear coat and not the base color that will cause the orange peel effect.? My painter painted the hood, doors and trunk lid separately, and that's where I saw the orange peed at a very close distance about a foot or closer. I stop by the shop yesterday on my way to work around 5pm, they were waiting for the color paint to flash (I think that's the word they used) before they put the clear coat on, they put 3 coat of color(I hope that's enough), and they said they will put everything back together, door, hood, lid and stuff, then theywill buff it all at the same time. I just hope buffing will remove the orange peel look. thanks again for your help.

Joe

cudaken

Both can cause the peel, but the clear will make it show more. PIC you just posted looks pretty good to me. Seems like they are doing a good job.

Cuda Ken

PS, most people worry to much.

I am back

haueter66

Just a quick update for you guys following along... new leaf springs are on (eaton detroit) and the painted wheels and new tires are on... here is a pic... not the best but it was raining...

jaak

haueter66, your project is on track and looking great!!!!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Can't wait to see it finished,
Jason

haueter66

Got some chrome and weatherstripping on ... have not had alot of time or good weather to work on it lately... here are a few updated pics... the wheel well chrome is the newly available repro stuff... overall I am satisfied with it if anyone is curious.  I did not have the original stuff so I cannot compare.  But the fit and function seems acceptable.

NHCharger

Wow, looks great. My 71 is in the shop right now getting paint. I was going to post some pics but they keep coming out grainy.

Where did you get the repro trim for the wheel wells, Laysons?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

haueter66

haueter66

Another update, the weatherstrip is all on.  The glass is all in.  Bumpers are ordered and will hopefully arrive soon!!!  ;D

Got to take some nice pics today (it was finally sunny!)