News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ABS plastic.....preping for paint

Started by Blackcherry360, November 16, 2005, 05:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackcherry360

Oops, hit the wrong button.
I am preping an ABS plastic piece for argent paint. Is it a good idea to sand with 600 grit paper before primer?
Thanxs,
Jeff

Blown70

Quote from: Blackcherry360 on November 16, 2005, 05:13:54 PM
Oops, hit the wrong button.
I am preping an ABS plastic piece for argent paint. Is it a good idea to sand with 600 grit paper before primer?
Thanxs,
Jeff

600, 1000, maybe even 1500

Drop Top

Just use a 3M red scuff pad. That will be plenty to make it stick. After scuffing wash it with plastic prep. Then spray some adhesion promoter on it. Wait 15 mins. Then you can shoot the primer on it. Don't Wait too long before shooting the top coat or you will have to rescuff it again.

Drop Top

Pepsi, huh?  :o Well. I'm doing a 66 El Camino for my shop truck right now. Just picked it up from the Plastic Media Blasters yesterday and welded up all the holes from somebody else's body work and the trim that I'm removeing. I'll be reding the interior pieces next week. I'll give your tip a work out. Hmmm, Pespi. I've used Coke in my wash to get out cigerett smell and it worked. I've used your other tips and had good luck with them.  :icon_smile_approve: Thanks.