News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starting question

Started by AKcharger, November 17, 2005, 07:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

OK got a fuel problem. If I let the ’72 (400) sit for more than a week it takes several cranks to get it to fire…obviously the fuel has to be pumped back up to it. OK, here’s the question, the carb is a BRAND NEW  Edelbrock 600 and I don’t like to believe it’s got an internal leak…what about the fuel pump…could that be bleeding down?

Now by contrast the ’70 with 383 and same Edelbrock 600 will fire right up after two pumps of the peddle and a key turn…doesn’t matter how long it’s been sitting

Thanks

cudaken

AKcharger, I think there something wrong with your 70 383 carb :icon_smile_big: I though all Edelbrocks need to have the sh-t pumped out of them! All the ones I have worked where hard starters.

I would have to guess the accelerator pump is leaking down. On a Holley you would see the leak. See if you can retun it and try another one.

Cuda Ken

I am back

Just 6T9 CHGR

What kind of fuel cap on both cars?  Vented or non-vented?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Mine is exactly the same.  If it sits for a week, I have to let it crank a few times to get the fuel up there.  The Eddycarter needed several pumps once the fuel did get to the carb to get it to fire.  The Holley on there now, needs about two, sometimes three.
I think it's normal.

AKcharger

Thanks guys
- 6T9 - The '72 is vented ...I think, good question. The ''70 is non-vented it's a CA emmision model with the tube in the trunk

If it's normal it sure is annoying, behaps Edelbrok has a help line?

cudaken

Think Electric Pump ;)

Cuda Ken
I am back

Headrope

I'm only 31, but have owned something like 15 different vehicles. Most every one I can remember needed a few pumps of the pedal to get things started after sitting for a while ... I take that back. The fuel injected ones didn't seem to need it. Probably because they had an electric fuel pump.
Cudaken is likely on to something.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Ghoste

You know Headrope, for some reason I thought you were well into your 50's.  Must have a mature way of posting I guess.

cudaken

Headrope, his problem is not the few pumps of the pedal but the cranking to get the gas to the carb. For what ever reason Eldelbrocks seem to lose the gas in the accelerator pump of the carb. That is why Chris asked about the vented fuel cap.

DFS68 Charger 68 Charger was the same way, need to crank and crank and carb was fresh. He was pissed when I started the Runner with the Holley. She had set for, God all most a year, 3 pumps and she was lite! Pumps not cranks.

Electric pump will forces feed the carb, fill the accelerator pump and she will light.

Cuda Ken
I am back

andy74

i have an edelbrock carb, have never had a problem-but i do run an electric pump too

AKcharger

Well I'm with ya' but would an electric pump keep the float bowls filled?

I got an answer from the edelbrock tech line, they  said to buy the insulator gasket...I hate when people don't READ. I'll try again,

Ghoste

Well, an electric pump won't keep the bowl filled, but what it will do is that as soon as the key is turned to on, it will start sending fuel forward.  It'll cut way down on that cranking time.