News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torsion bar installation

Started by troy.70R/T, July 14, 2009, 06:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I have read many posts on this subject and even my repair manual. But so far I have not seen where anyone has had to remove the spinal from lower ball joint to get the torsion bar in or out. So my question is does it have to be removed? What about the sway bar and the stabilizer?  I am converting to disc breaks anyway so I need to change the spindle anyway but just wanted to know. Also does anyone know where I can buy just the uppper and lower ball joint boots????

TylerCharger69

the key to relieve the tension is the bottom bolts on the shock.  You can pull them out through the housings at the back of the torsion bars.   There's a clip in there you have to remove in order to pull them out towards the rear of the car.  But the key?......Place a jack under the control arm and remove the shock bolts (lower).  Then...slowly lower the jack to relieve the pressure of the torsion bars.....you may have to persuade them a bit.

TylerCharger69

Oh...and also....if you look at the end (in case you don't already know this) there is an "L"  or  "R" on the back ends of them so make sure they are on the proper side.  There is also a slot in the casting at the ends too....I, myself usually install them with the slot in the vertical position.

mauve66

when using the floor jack, just watch the back of the control arm and you can see when the hex head on the torsion bar and the female hex on the torsion bar start to really line up then you can slide them out, sometimes they have to be hammered out but mine slide out with np problem, if you keep jacking the control arm up past this point it will start to bind again, you just have to play with it, and don't forget the snap rings on the back side of the torsion bar rear mount
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

troy.70R/T

Ok sounds good and then just keep the lower control arms in the lowered down position. to reinstall them? Also so I really would not need to seperate the spindle from the lower control arm, just the shock. Thanks guys

TylerCharger69

Yes....you need to keep the control arm down when reinstalling, so you can jack it back up and put the pressure back on it.

bearbqd

Am I missing something here? It looks like you are saying to jack up under the control arms, but isn't this putting MORE tension on the bars? Also, I've been considering doing this myself because I have 1.22 diameter bars that came separate with my car. Are these too big for my 360 equipped Charger? I would like to bring the front end up a little. Will these thicker bars help with tighter handling at all? Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread. I just had some added questions on the topic. Thanks for any help.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

bearbqd

Nevermind the first part of that question. I reread what you said.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

troy.70R/T

ok I just wanted to make sure that as long as I leave the spindal hooked up too the upper and lower control arms there is no way I can install the torsion bar and get too much tension on it is there?

bearbqd

bump--help for both of us please all knowing mopar experts
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

rocky61201

Concur with everything said above.  Did it all and mine still wouldn't come out.  Lossened and backed off the lower control arm nut about half way and presto, came out way to easy.  Dont take the nut all the way off, just about half way, otherwise the LCA might pop out with T-Bar still stuck to it.  Oh yea, a little pentrating oil of your choice sitting overnight doesn't hurt either. 
71 2dr Hardtop, 383/727, just purchased, resto/mod in progress

b5blue

Yes you may change T bars with the spindle attached to UCA and LCA, as long as it will swing down enough for the T bar to fit into the socket on the LCA your OK....that's why you may need to undo one end of the shock, to let it rotate down more. Yes it's a good idea to loosen the LCA pivot's nut and unseat the pivot, to keep the LCA bushing from twisting too much. Snug the nut up close, then set ride height with the adjuster on the bottom of the LCA then tighten pivot nut to spec. and that will set the bushing in the middle of it's range of twist.

chargerguy111

Is it best to put grease on the bar ends to ease installation and uninstallation?

b5blue

Actually you pack the crap out of them everywhere on the ends and pack the area under the boot seal before sliding it up to seal, so yes even in the lower control arm socket for the T bar.  :2thumbs: 

chargerguy111

I purchased my torsion bars from mancini racing.They are marked left and right but they are marked on both ends.Also,on the left bar is marked AVT and on the right bar is marked ANF.So my question is,Which end goes toward the front or does it matter?Thanks all.