News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The nightmare can start

Started by Belgium R/T -68, July 18, 2009, 05:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Thuesday me and the wife will try to install the vinyltop, something I've never did and therefor delayed long enough.
Please, I would appreciate any good tricks or links on the best way to do it. I have questions like: how big areas to glue at the time?
when to start to cut in the vinyl for the corners? how to keep the glue to NOT coming on the area you are not working on for the moment?
I have 4 bottles of 3M glue so I should be good. Enough plastic to cover all area not supposed to have any glue and a very good spirit. :icon_smile_big:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

1969chargerrtse

I would just google " How to install a vinyl top on my car " etc...  Tons of info out there, maybe even a You Tube vid to show it.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

y3chargerrt

A good tip is to not start drinking until the job is done!

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: y3chargerrt on July 18, 2009, 07:16:05 AM
A good tip is to not start drinking until the job is done!

Had my last drink 14th of march 2007, that's why I spend all that time and money on my Charger. :2thumbs:

y3chargerrt

Great to hear that. I had my last drink Sept 1991!

b5blue

You want to let that top smooth out totally before you start even if you have to warm it up with a hair dryer in some areas.

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: b5blue on July 18, 2009, 09:36:23 AM
You want to let that top smooth out totally before you start even if you have to warm it up with a hair dryer in some areas.

Thanks, even read somewhere that somebody used the iron used for clothing.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

green69rt

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on July 18, 2009, 10:01:17 AM
Quote from: b5blue on July 18, 2009, 09:36:23 AM

Thanks, even read somewhere that somebody used the iron used for clothing.

Use the iron but put a piece of fabric (like an old sheet) between the iron and the vinyl to protect the finish of the vinyl.  Test this on a piece of scrap.

69bronzeT5

Mopar Muscle did an article on installing vinyl tops not too long ago. I'd scan it for you but I don't have access to a scanner...and the issue is at home (I'm 3 hrs away). Maybe somebody else can scan it? They used a '69 Superbee in it.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Just 6T9 CHGR

The link above includes the link to the MM article where they actually did a top on a Charger
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Belgium R/T -68

Great link there Chris :2thumbs: I can't see on Bills driprails if the vinyl just stays in the rail or continues on the outer side?
Anybody with a closer pic?

Per

b5blue

Good luck Per! I dread doing that and the headliner both!  :eek2:

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: b5blue on July 18, 2009, 02:40:12 PM
Good luck Per! I dread doing that and the headliner both!  :eek2:

Thanks friend :cheers: I sure will need that. I hope my wifes experience with hanging wallpapers counys for something. :scratchchin:

Per

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on July 18, 2009, 02:23:22 PM
Great link there Chris :2thumbs: I can't see on Bills driprails if the vinyl just stays in the rail or continues on the outer side?

Per

The vinyl goes over the driprail....I trimmed mine halfway up the outer edge of the rail....wait till you have to put the forward down facing pieces over this,......  :rotz:

A lot of trimming & cursing to get that one on...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Belgium R/T -68

It looks like mission impossible to get that molding over the seams. :eek2:

Per

green69rt

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on July 18, 2009, 07:21:51 PM

Per

The vinyl goes over the driprail....I trimmed mine halfway up the outer edge of the rail....wait till you have to put the forward down facing pieces over this,......  :rotz:

I saw another thread that recommended not putting the vinyl under the window clips.  Makes the trim fit wrong.  Anybody else got a recommendation?

I saw

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: green69rt on July 19, 2009, 09:49:06 AM
Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on July 18, 2009, 07:21:51 PM

Per

I saw another thread that recommended not putting the vinyl under the window clips.  Makes the trim fit wrong.  Anybody else got a recommendation?

I saw

Per,

You definitely want the clips to hold the vinyl.....that's also how the factory did it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Belgium R/T -68

Will do so Brian :cheers: What about the roof? It has now clearcoat, should I sand it a little for better grip for the glue? :scratchchin:

Per

b5blue

I checked my copy of "Project Charger" by Larry Lyles...he didn't sand his clear coat and he says to "work in 18 inch strips to smooth out the bubbles". Hope that help any Per.  :scratchchin:

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: b5blue on July 19, 2009, 02:41:29 PM
I checked my copy of "Project Charger" by Larry Lyles...he didn't sand his clear coat and he says to "work in 18 inch strips to smooth out the bubbles". Hope that help any Per.  :scratchchin:

I'm happy for all info and encurigement (is that a word :scratchchin::cheers:

Per

b5blue

Encouragement yes! Part of my being underwhelmed by this book is that it lacks details you could need now! He gives 1 page and 5 photos.

Belgium R/T -68

It will be try and error. H**l, I never restored a car before but with learning from all mistakes and asking a lot of questions I'm getting there.

Per

b5blue

You will do fine I'm certain!  :yesnod:

Belgium R/T -68

Point of no return, tomorrow is the big day :eek2:

Per