News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

skim coat the whole sides?

Started by 1968_Charger, July 28, 2009, 04:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

the guy i had fix the quarters on my car did a good job making the sides smooth overall, but left many deep scratches in the body filler, should i try to sand them out or skim coat over the sides to smooth it all.
the bondo is very thin and im afraid that trying to sand them out might cause so low areas.
   ive also read that most cars have a skim coat over the entire car anyway. so im looking at skiming over the car. should i skim with bondo or glaze putty? or would you just try sanding the scratches out?

Mike DC

Give the rough areas a spray of thick high-build primer.  That should get you enough fill to sand it down smooth.  You should be able to spot-putty anything that remains. 

FLG

Alot of body guys will skim coat the whole car then sand it down to smooth it out. You would be suprised at all the low and high areas on both brand new repo parts, nos parts, and just original panels.

Silver R/T

primer filler will fill 80 grit scratches.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

restoman

Give it a coat or three of polyester primer - essentially sprayable filler. It will block out smoothly without any shrinkage ever, no putty spreader marks to deal with, it will fill and permanently eliminate 24 grit grinder marks and anything else you care to cover, and can be painted over directly or primered with high-build urethane primer (which does shrink to some extent).  :cheers:

1968_Charger

ok, does this come in a can or does it have to be applied with a gun? and can you give me a good brand name?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: restoman on July 28, 2009, 08:33:11 PM
Give it a coat or three of polyester primer - essentially sprayable filler. It will block out smoothly without any shrinkage ever, no putty spreader marks to deal with, it will fill and permanently eliminate 24 grit grinder marks and anything else you care to cover, and can be painted over directly or primered with high-build urethane primer (which does shrink to some extent).  :cheers:

I agree with all of this ,with one exception, I would never spray anything over 24 grit scratches...knock them down with something first.

As for your dilema...By all means , shoot it with poly surfacer....you will need to spray it with a gun.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1968_Charger

ok, thanks.
im not sure what size grit the scratches are but they are pretty deep. ill give the spray a shot. if that doesnt work then i guess ill go with putty skim coat.

1968_Charger

cost is an issue, my budget is tight. how much do you guys think it will cost to skim coat the car with putty vs. spray on filler?

jaak

I think cost wise...poly primer is the way to go. most bottles/cans of metal glaze is 25-30 bucks, a gallon of Evercoats slick sand is around 70 bucks a gallon w/hardener. Although I have never used it I heard Mar-hyde Quicksand is another good poly-primer, its about 55 bucks a gallon w/hardener.
Remember when spraying poly primer, you need a gun with a big tip. I bought a cheepo spray gun off eBay with a 2.0 tip, just to use for spraying poly-primer...I give like 20 bucks for it. I would guide-coat and block with 180 before spraying it though to knock out some of the 80 grit scratches before priming with the poly.

Good luck,
Jason

1968_Charger

i bought some icing today. i think ill start there and see how it does.

Silver R/T

Quote from: 1968_Charger on July 31, 2009, 10:29:45 PM
i bought some icing today. i think ill start there and see how it does.
you'll like it. It sands smooth, dries fast, doesn't shrink. You can apply it over primer/scuffed paint/fiberglass, etc.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

superbirdtom

i used to use icing  but started using napa tec supreme bondo. it is the best i have ever used and is virtually pinhole free. and spreads like icing but costs much less.