News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to do to 727 transmission before installation?

Started by WH23G3G, July 28, 2009, 09:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

Ok I ordered my rocker arm kit which is the last thing I need to complete my 400. I'm attempting a engine/transmission combo installation in my garage. I know the performance guys here will cringe at the thought of me purchasing a remanufactured 727 but I work for the parts shop and we have good luck with the company. Plus mine engine is pretty much as stock as you can get. At the time I only paid $449 for this transmission with a 3yr/100,000 mile warranty. I'm sure it will outlast my Ford Ranger transmission which has been replace 4 times in the 228,000 miles the truck has. But what should I install on the transmission before I connect it to the engine. Anything at all? Do I leave the linkages and reverse switch for when I get it in or is anything going to be in the way? I don't know if it's possible to do this until I get it on the hoist. I got the engine out with all accessories still on without any problems. I did it by myself, my first time. The engine/transmission combo will be a lot more weight but the hoist isn't the problem. I don't know how much more height I'll have to raise it to get the combo in, but doing the engine alone there was plenty.

RD

first and foremost, make sure your torque converter has at least 1 quart of transmission fluid in it prior to "fully" seating it onto the transmission and mating the trans and engine together.

second, bolt the thing together and put her in your car.  you can put on shifter levers, but that is all you should put on prior to installation, unless you want to mount the transmission crossmember to the transmission already.  i would advise against this as it is another thing that will get in the way.

are you installing from top or bottom of the car?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

ACUDANUT

AND start it in Neutral, to get the fluids moving faster.  Make sure the transmission throttle is hooked up also.

WH23G3G

I'm installing from the top. If the start up and cam break in work out good I want to make sure the shift levers are hooked up and precisely adjusted. Because I don't want any problem of it rolling into a neighbors house. It's facing right straight towards my neighbors house. I'll put the engine/trans combo in my garage and somehow, I haven't figured out yet, push it out in the driveway and do the break in. It took 4 of us to move it in my small garage. So I want to make sure the levers are correctly installed and the e-brake working. I replaced everything in the entire braking system except the e-brake system because it was actually functioning good. It seems to still work with all the new brake stuff on now too. 

John_Kunkel

Whenever I initially startup a new combo I put the rear end on jackstands with the tires clear of the ground, this does two things...it prevents embarassing runaway and allows the drive train to spin freely. Even with the shifter in Neutral (very important)  the drag in the transmission clutches will cause the  driveline to "windmill" and circulate the lube.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mopar73

you meantioned small garage.  Make sure you have enough ceiling clearance for the hoist when you go to jack it up

WH23G3G

I was looking over my rebuilt 727 and realized there is no speedometer gear or pinion at all. I don't have my old one any longer. Will any big block 727 speedometer pinion setup fit? I know there is a few 400s w/ transmissions at the salvage yard and maybe one will have the speedometer pinion pieces. Then I can just buy the correct gear I need. Does it matter what model car it is in or what year? I was checking the numbers on my transmission and it looks to be a 75 casting. 

RD

you have to match up the appropriate pinion gear with your rear end gear ratio and your size of rear tire.  moparts.com has a good thread on this in their tech archives so you can determine the right pinion gear.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

WH23G3G

I know have to get the matched pinion for my 3.91 ratio. But I actually need the whole housing. The lockring, screw, pinion adapter, and pinion gear. Can I use everything from another 727 and just get the correct gear for a 3.91 and 225/70/14 tires?

John_Kunkel

Your tire diameter should be 26.4", at that diameter the speedo pinion tooth count is the same as the axle ratio; in your case 39.

The 3-position pinion adapter and all of its associated parts are the same in all automatics and most standard transmissions.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

WH23G3G

I pulled an assembly today from a 65 Plymouth Fury that a 400 and a 727 in it. It is only a 21 tooth gear so I just need to buy a new gear. Where is the best place to get the new gear? Oh yeah if anyone is in the Atlanta area and needs a complete 8.75 rear end I think that's what was on this Fury. It had the removeable center chunk but I don't know if there was another rear end in 65 like that. I didn't see if it was posi or not but it looked like the big bolt pattern axles. It's all there even the snubber is still on. It's cheap too if you pull it. I didn't need it. There is also 3 or 4 400 blocks in different cars there. But they've been open to the elements. Even a 57 Plymout fury with original gauges and radio but I couldn't get it out.

AZMoparboy

Hi,
Just did this myself with my charger, had to small a gear, found a guy on ebay has used ones,message him and he will help you with the right size. $21 shipped to my house