News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Time for fun, the headliner

Started by Belgium R/T -68, August 01, 2009, 12:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

It's time for the last installation that I don't really feel comfortable with, the headliner. But having the same problem as with the vinyltop,
finding somebody who can do it I don't have any choice.
Now, I already got some nice feedback from "bill440rt"  :cheers: but have some questions concerning the sailboards:

I ordered what I thought was correct ones, covered but now I realize they don't make them for chargers :brickwall: so what I bought
I don't know? :shruggy:
Are the original boards only used to glue the headliner to it or are there other purposes with them aswell?
How important are the correct size if one decides to make them myself?

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

b5blue

Good Luck Per this another job I don't look forward to! Please post photos as you learn (for my sake!)  :2thumbs:

Belgium R/T -68

Checking out my clips and other things needed before the start, a question though:
The clip to the right on the pic, I don't remember having had that one at removal, are those to be used?

Per

twodko

Hello Per,

I had the headliner in my car pulled away from the rear window in preparation for removing the glass and a new vinyl top after paint. When I stripped the old vinyl top off I discovered the "Charger" emblems on the exterior sail panels were attached with speed nuts. Of course these were located BEHIND the headliner and the fiber board sail panels! I'm not really sure what purpose these panels serve because the headliner is NOT glued to them nor is anything else attached to them. My car is a '69 and I'm thinking they're the same based on your picture. As to the correct size of the panels, if you're going to make some just duplicate what you have.
The clip is a mystery to me. I look forward to some pictures of your finished headliner. Good luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Projekts

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on August 03, 2009, 06:18:31 AM

Checking out my clips and other things needed before the start, a question though:
The clip to the right on the pic, I don't remember having had that one at removal, are those to be used?

Per

Those clips attach the headliner on the sides. I found 6 total, 3 on each side. I don't have a good photo of this but I did notice on Bill440rt's headliner installation the clips can be seen. Good Luck.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31212.0.html

Belgium R/T -68

Will let the headliner hang out in the sun before tomorrows installation, it's actually warm here for a change. :lol:

Per

Belgium R/T -68

Started with glueing the insulation and installed my selfmade sailpanelboards :2thumbs: Made them out of the old packagetray. :icon_smile_big:
After installing the bows and cutting the sleeves so that approx 1" is visible of the bow I hanged it up starting at the rear.
That's so far I got today because my helper (the wife) wanted to enjoy one of the few very hot days we have here and I can't blame her.
I took the opportunity to prepare the side and front headlinermoldings.

Per

b5blue

Belgium R/T -68

I continued today with clamping the headliner at the sides and attache it to some hooks front and rear. I will again let it sit for a few days and come back on it because it will not be easy to get the sailpanels wrinklefree. :eek2: The roof looks rather good but I think I will need a heatgun or
something for the back. Also found out that keeping track on if your sleeves are cut long enough or not is vital.

Per

Belgium R/T -68

How good does it have to sit before I have to start to cut in the material for the corners (A-pillar) and sailpanel?
I'm terrified to cut too much. :eek2:

Per

mopar0166

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: mopar0166 on August 10, 2009, 11:17:36 AM
Coming along nicely!   :cheers:

Thanks :cheers: Just tried with putting glueclamps at the bow edges to stretch the roof and overstretching the headliner between
the bows to get wrinkles from the packaging out, works great. :2thumbs: Then loosen those clamps tomorrow and so on....
This might take a week or 2 but it doesn't matter as long as it turns out good, I still have other things to do in between. :eek2:

Per

bill440rt

Hey, Per!

Headliner is looking good! Just take your time.
Sorry I didn't get a chance to answer your PM sooner. Those sailboards should go on the inside of the little flanges on the package tray.
The large rectangular clip go on the front. Look right behind where the windshield sits, those clips go in the little square holes. The metal headliner trim molding screws into those clips. You need those clips in order to install that molding.
I'm sure it'll turn out GREAT!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Belgium R/T -68

Thanks bill :cheers:

My biggest concern now is the edges around the rear window, how do I cut it there? The headliner lays now nicely on sailpanels so what's left
is to glue it to the toothframe and then? Put it between the tootheframe and windowframe or just equal to the toothframe? :scratchchin:

Per

bill440rt

See those relief cuts on your vinyl top? You want to do the same thing to the headliner around the curve of the back window.
Yes, pull the headliner tight & tack it to the toothframes. I'd say leave about 1 inch of extra material, and you just tuck that behind the toothframes (between the windowframe).
Just watch how you stretch it so it stays flat.
You can do it!!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mopar73

Belgium R/T -68

After trying hours and hours to get the rear perfect I have decided to let a professional do the job for me. It propably means
a new tailormade headliner but I find that trying to get the rest of the car as good as possible I couldn't live with aheadliner that isn't straight
everywhere. I don't think I have to be ashamed either because the last weeks I 've been looking at pictures from carads and others and
seen that most of them have some wrinkles or bubbles. Even saw a daytona for 600K with a porly installed headliner.
It's just one of those things that I better let somebody else do.

Per

mike337

Just getting ready for my headliner install, saw your post, and have a couple of questions I hope you can answer.

1. The 3 metal plates, with prongs that go around the rear window to hold the rear of the headliner in place.  Does the center one install last, and overlap the two side pieces, or does it install first, and go under the two sides?  (Don't know if it makes any difference, but thought that I would ask)

2. Where do the two small metal hooks attach?  Rear bow & C-Panel?

Thanx,
Mike

Belgium R/T -68

Mike,

The centerpiece does indeed overlap the cornerpieces. For your second question I'm not sure I understand you correctly, do you mean the
small bows or the "springs" holding the last bow towards the rear?

Per

mike337

Mainly the wires (springs).  I thought I should be able to figure out the small bows placement by where the headliner is during the install.

Thanx for your fast reply,

Mike

Belgium R/T -68

Here is a picture of the right side, hope it helps.

Per

mike337

Per,

Fantastic!  Thank you for taking the time to post this pic.

Regards,
Mike

mike337

Per,

I spent the day out in the garage working on those rear headliner barbed brackes.  Those things are a bugger to get lined up right, and it took just the right pliers to turn those lower mounting points into position.  I leaned the hard way that the lower ones have to be attached first.

I ran into a few more questions:

1. Does the panel in the pic I have attached go on the inside of the C-pillar?

2. There are two holes in the roof structure behind the 4th headliner bow.  Does the coat hook screw go in the upper, or lower hole?

3. The roof structure support where the dome light attaches has two holes drilled towards the front, and two holes drilled to the rear.  Which ones did you use?

Thanx for schooling me on this.  My car has been apart for 8 years, and I have no memory of exactly where everything was at when I began pulling all this stuff out.

rick

ha i was told 69 chargers dont have the boards mind dont have them i could be wrong tell me please?

Winged 1

;)
Yes those belong on a 69. Many times they have fallen off and are in the front of the wheel wells where the rear window goes down into or are hung up on the top of the fender well on the inside. Since they are plastic they will last forever and should be in the car unless they have been removed by previus owner..
Eric