News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

are 70 Charger disc break spindles the same as 73-76 A-body

Started by troy.70R/T, August 03, 2009, 07:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I am converting my 70 Charger over to disc breaks. So far I have everything except the spindles. I am using the 11.750 rotors with the Kelsey Hays big pin type caliper adapters. So will this setup work with the stock 70 Charger disc break spindles or will I need to find the 73-76 A-body/73-74 E-body spindles???/

GT

1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

b5blue

HPP

The Charger spindles have smaller bearings, so the later 11.75 rotors will not fit them. However, there are kits out there with bearings spacers and seals to do this conversion. Dr Diff is one of them, and I think there are a few others. Heck , I have a set I've never used that I'll cut you a deal on if you want them.

Other possibility is the spindle swap. While 73-76 A body spindles tend to run $10o+ in prices from a number of sources and are the most popular thanks to a certain magazine article, the 73-83 BFJM spindles are easy to find and inexpensive and will accomplish the same thing for half price.

b5blue

AAAH here comes the debate about over angling the ball joints again! (that I'm staying out of!) :nana:

GT

Troy - they can work - go check out the moparts post - it has details along with a vendor who sells the bearing stuff needed.
2012 Charger SRT8

troy.70R/T

I did some checking and I really don't want to mess with the bearing spacer. just sounds like a big cluster F@#* with the possability of something more to go wrong. I do however have another charger that I am going to convert someday but I need to check and see if I can get a good rotor if I use the original spindle. So far From what I have read I do not think I could a good rotor. But if I can I would still be interested in your spindles. As far as the other spindles from F and other body cars does anyone have a pic showing what they measure? Then I could decide for myself if I thought they would be way out of whack compared to the A-body spindles.  Thanks again Troy

HPP

Quote from: b5blue on August 04, 2009, 10:25:43 AM
AAAH here comes the debate about over angling the ball joints again! (that I'm staying out of!) :nana:

Nah, no debate. Rick E has an opinion based on non technical data from an engineers opinion. Technical specs on the differences have been flushed out by Bill Reilly (Alterkation), Dick Ross (Firm Feel), the guys at Magnumforce, XV, and countless other individuals who have all proven there is very little in the way of drawbacks, and actually several benefits from using the taller spindles.

Quote from: troy.70R/T on August 04, 2009, 06:21:58 PM
As far as the other spindles from F and other body cars does anyone have a pic showing what they measure? Then I could decide for myself if I thought they would be way out of whack compared to the A-body spindles.  Thanks again Troy

The late BFJM spindles are 3/8 of an inch taller, have additional axis inclination, provide additional camber gain, and have less unsprung weight. Best technical write up on them out there is at bigblockdart.com. http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/spindles.shtml

b5blue

Troy there are photos in the article, check both sites info and take it from there. On this topic I did use reinforcing plates on my lower control arms to go with the 11 3/4 disks I'm putting on my 73-76 A body spindles for my 70 Chargers otherwise stock front suspension. My car is a daily driver so I leaned to "stock setup" everywhere for ease of maintainability/reliability.(I don't race and love the way a B body drives) I'm certain ANY choice would serve you well.  :2thumbs: 

GT

Quote from: troy.70R/T on August 04, 2009, 06:21:58 PM
I did some checking and I really don't want to mess with the bearing spacer. just sounds like a big cluster F@#* with the possability of something more to go wrong. I do however have another charger that I am going to convert someday but I need to check and see if I can get a good rotor if I use the original spindle. So far From what I have read I do not think I could a good rotor. But if I can I would still be interested in your spindles. As far as the other spindles from F and other body cars does anyone have a pic showing what they measure? Then I could decide for myself if I thought they would be way out of whack compared to the A-body spindles.  Thanks again Troy

Fair enough Troy.  I'm glad we found some answers. Would have hated for you to get them and be unhappy.  Just drop me a line if you are interested in the future.
2012 Charger SRT8