News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone Smart on 71-72 Wheel well trim

Started by AKcharger, July 30, 2005, 07:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I bought a set from layson's for my wife's '72 and I don't like the fit, the lip bends inward about 135 ° which means when I try to bolt it on I have to really push hard to line it up with the screw holes. (and possibly scratch the paint) I took some pictures and sent them to Laysons. They said the photos match their NOS samples and all the stock they have. In addition they said they've sold over 180 sets without complaint. They were nice and offered to send a set without the predrilled holes or just return them for refund

So am I off-base on this? are the factory ones really bent in like this (see photos) I'm used to my '70 where it's bent at 90 ° and fits fine (althought it's been attached to the car for  1/3 of a century) unfortunatly I got the car without any trim so I have nothing to gage it by

Also is wheel well trim hard to find? anyone have a good set??

Thanks

AK

71440bee

I have a loose RR nos 71 trim I can look at. Yes the trim is hard to get in good shape because it is anodised and usually scratched and dented. NOS ones are expensive and a whole set is really hard to get.

ipstrategies

I just removed the original set off of my 71. I do think it bends back that way if I am rembering right. I will go look and post a reply to this.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

AKcharger

Standing by!

One additional thing, I only matched it to the whell well I did not screw any thing on for fear of messing the new piece up. It's possibel that when it's bolted on it will be fine...but I was frightened to go any further

Thanks

71440bee

I just looked at my piece and it looks about like the one you have pictured with the rolled back edge. I was talking to a buddy about the trim and he has heard that the screw holes on some of the Laysons trim does not match up to original holes and people have had to re-drill them so getting the undrilled ones may be the way to go if it seems like you have to force them to get them to match up.

Does the curve of the trim seem to match the wheel well very good?

ipstrategies

Well I will say mine looks that same (though dinged and bent) I hope that helps> My digital camera sd card is bad or I would take a few pics foryou. I should have a new card this weekend if you need them.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

andy74

mine were all mangled up,and havent been replaced yet,due to the $$,but the one that wasnt all f'd up looks just like the one in your pic-andy

AKcharger

Copy all....looks the the piece is good and hole may be the problem

Thanks guys