News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Stuff - I've never sold anything on ebay... Any ebay tips? Help?

Started by ChargerBill, November 22, 2005, 02:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerBill

I have some miscellaneous parts that I'm going to get rid of and thought maybe I should ebay them. I have an account that I tried to activate a while ago but had password problems and couldn't get through to customer service to fix the problem. Then I tried to recreate an account using my email and they said I couldn't because it was already in use. Does anyone know how to go about fixing this? And if and when I finally do get my account up and running is it worth the hassle? Also, when it comes to crating a door or a fender and shipping it, how do you figure that charge into the sale when you don't even know where the highest bidder resides until after the auction has ended? Should I even bother trying to ship large items? I'm just looking for some tips, warnings, advice, etc...

EDIT: Come to think of it, this maybe belongs in Off Topic even though it is regarding Charger parts...sorry Troy.
Life is a highway...

Wakko

Try creating another ebay account with a second email address.  As far as rectifying your password issues, you should be able to request your user name and password and reset both.

When selling on Ebay you need to find out what parts are going for.  Watch some parts like yours and do an Advanced Search of completed listings to see what's fair.  Take good photos of the parts and post them on the auction.  Make sure your reserve is set at the bare minimum you'll take for the part and open bidding at .01.  When you do that rather than open your bidding at your reserve, you encourage more bidding early on and it shows interest.  Use a counter!  Use a gallery pic (while searching, they can see the picture before they even click on your item).  Make sure the parts are in the right section!  Charger radio belongs in classic car parts, not home electronics, follow? Maximize the title with the most searchable stuff.  "Charger Radio" sucks.  "1969 69 Charger radio 68 70 b-body Coronet" will get more hits.   As far as shipping is concerned you can do one of two things.  One, you can set a price.  I sell General Lee antennas on Ebay with a fixed shipping of 12 bucks.  I get the boxes from USPS for free and buy rolls of bubble wrap.  If my buyer lives in Georgia, S/H will be 6 bucks with confirmation, so after expenses I make a few extra dollars.  When they live in Oregon, shipping is 10 bucks so I break even or a little less.  Don't gouge, but cover yourself.  Option two is to box the item FIRST.  Measure it and weigh it and you can create a postage calculator for UPS on Ebay.  I personally prefer FedEx for larger items as it's cheaper.  You can also just put in the body "To get a shipping quote, box is 18x18x18, weighs 32 pounds and is coming from Delray Beach Florida 33445"  then they can get their own quote via the shipping method you prefer.

At the end of your body, list the terms of your auction.  I always use the same.  "Please email questions prior to bidding!  Payment expected within 7 days, response to invoice within 3 days.  Paypal, money orders or cashier's check accepted only.  Thanks!"  or something like that.  I have sent invoices to people in the past and had to wait 7 days before relisting the item if they don't pay.  Now with the 3 day deadline for the invoice, I only have to wait three.  If they don't pay you can request their user information and call them on the phone, file a deadbeat bidder/non paying bidder form, and ultimately give them negative feedback.

Here's my current auction on Ebay you can use for reference:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5832663394&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

TruckDriver

Don't forget to describe anything you sell VERY good. Overkill won't hurt your sale either. It helps prevent negitive feed back. But you have to remeber also, there are people that are never satisfied. I got 3 negitives just for that reason :eyes:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Just 6T9 CHGR

I've been noticing a growing trend on eBay as well........whats with the private feedback?

:Twocents:

EBay is all about honesty, buyers & sellers.   If you are trying to hide stuff and screw the next guy then have a garage sale and be man enough to screw them face to face.

Sorry for the rant, I guess you can tell I have been burned before.

Of course Ian and others might have a legit reason for doing this but personally I cant understand why.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69charger2002

hey chris i don't agree with the private listing either.. BUT i do know mostly why. there are lots of scams currently on ebay where someone emails the 2nd 3rd 4th, sometimes even high bidder, to offer them the same product at a cheaper price.. also there have been problems with people coming up after the auction is over, and emailing these people asking the 2nd high bidder if they are still interested in purchasing the item. and even give out addresses where to send the money etc. making bidders identities private helps ensure none of this takes place.  of course there are some who make transactions and feedback private because they had a run in with feedback, and some loser used profanity or a false claim  and while that is being cleared up the seller doesn't want it to ruin his/her reputation. therefore they change it to private. kind of makes sense, and truthfully, you can still tell their feedback score and their % of positive feedbacks, so it's still easy to do the math, and judge whether a seller can be deemed trustworthy or now
just my .02c
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Wakko

I buy and resell on Ebay alot, poorly listed Vectors for example listed as Corvette wheels.  On more than one occasion I have emailed a question, the people have looked at my previous items I've sold and realized that they underlisted their stuff.  One guy even used the same photos I had used in one of my auctions!   I was pissed, but who can blame him?  I do have a second Ebay account nearly identical to my first one that I could use for purchasing, but it's got zero feedback and my feedback is in the 300s, so I'd rather keep building it up.  They can see my feedback is 99.4 (I have received THREE retaliatory feedbacks, real classy) so they know I'm not out to bone them.  I might even have to start making the high bidder private too.  :(
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Just 6T9 CHGR

Like I said, not to flame you Ian, but the premise in general.   
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Wakko

Yeah, I didn't take it as a flame.  I don't like having to have private feedback, but it makes it easier for me in the long run.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

tin_soldier

For big items like doors and fenders Greyhoud Shipping works real well.  Price is good and I have had no problems with anything being damaged.  Down side is that there is no curb side delivery.  you of course need to go to the local GH terminal that does shipping and so does the buyer to pick up the item.  But I find that those who buy the big items are willing to do it to save on shipping and trust me it is a big difference.  Example I shipped a Pass. fender for a 3rd gen Charger from CT to NC wiht GH it was $75.00  UPSor FeDex what over $150.00.

Just a FYI :2thumbs:

ChargerBill

Great tips...thanks guys. I'm going to try to get my account fixed, or start a new one this weekend.
Life is a highway...

Ponch ®

Quote from: Wakko on November 22, 2005, 01:45:00 PM
Yeah, I didn't take it as a flame.   I don't like having to have private feedback, but it makes it easier for me in the long run.

I dont know man...If im looking for something and I see that the seller has private feedback, that just raises a big red flag for me and probably wont buy from him. It does give the impression that youre trying to hide something.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

twilt

a few other things. Be prepared for some of the stupidest questions possibly imaginable. Dont send ANYTHING without a tracking number/delivery confirmation number, especially if the payment is via paypal. be prepared for the turds who overbid now, bitch later, and will try to hold you accountable by threatening neg feedback. whether it is right or wrong, many sellers now withold feedback until it is left for them, to prevent people using feedback as blackmail.

example of stupid question i had just today. "will this fit a 1971 Monte Carlo"......................... i was selling a power trunk release set-up for a mopar ??? 

On the positive side of things, i met my best friend via ebay. He bought some 71-72 charger parts from me a couple years ago, picked up the parts in person, and we have been best buddies ever since.

have been selling for 3+ years with feedback rating around 4300                   GOOD LUCK!

In memory of Craig Denham 2005
-------------------

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Big Lebowski

Get yourself at least 17 100% good feedbacks  :angel:, that helps. I buy dvd's and small stuff for the good feedbacks, i also sell, i sold a blue '70 318 Charger last year for $6500 big ones. Oh, and lots a pics in the auction to show the morons what they're actually getting...is a must do. :icon_smile_big:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

69_500

I agree, good feedback is  necessity. However am also leary of people who have private feedback. If someone leaves a bad feedback i think as another buyer I have a right to read what they left. Who knows I might get the same thing done to me, or not be happy with the purchase either. If you can't take negative comments from people, don't sell. Its that simple.

In memory of Craig Denham 2005
-------------------