News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

magnum 500 question,15x10 or 15x8?

Started by gordo1968charger, August 13, 2009, 02:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo1968charger

finally made my mind up on wheel selection and i am going down the magnum 500 route,
my question is do i go 15x8 or 15x10 on the rear?
i was going to go with a 295/50/15 on the back but i do nt want the tyre sticking to far out from the quarter panel,i m running superstock springs also.
thanks in advance
gordo
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

charger Downunder

Quote from: gordo1968charger on August 13, 2009, 02:12:32 AM
finally made my mind up on wheel selection and i am going down the magnum 500 route,
my question is do i go 15x8 or 15x10 on the rear?
i was going to go with a 295/50/15 on the back but i do nt want the tyre sticking to far out from the quarter panel,i m running superstock springs also.
thanks in advance
gordo
I have this set up with 15 by 8 all round 245/60/15 up front.
[/quote]

bull

All the tire/wheel charts I've seen say you can run a 295/50/15 on an 8-inch wheel so that's what I'm doing. And if you run 245/60/15s in the front they'll be 1/10th of an inch from being the same diameter. I don't know if there's any performance advantage to that but if nothing else the car will look more symmetrical. http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs/radial-t-a/12.html

I've seen the 10-inch magnum 500s and I think they look stupid; too much wheel sticking out past center for my liking. They don't even look like the same kind of wheel when compared to 15x8s :P Like so:

gordo1968charger

i do nt think they look too bad,but you say you can definately run a 295 on a 8 inch rim?
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

bull

Yes, just look at the BFGoodrich link I posted above. Here's a shot of mine with 295 Coopers on a 15x8:

charger Downunder

Here 15 by 8 295/50 rear
       15 by 8 245/60 front
super stock rear spring
[/quote]

Matthan

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

greenpigs

What backspace Bull are you using on the 15X8 to get the 295-50's to sit so centered? I am doing a search trying to nail down what I am going to do as far as width to run so perhaps this question will help others out. Assuming they do a search.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bull

Quote from: greenpigs on October 24, 2009, 07:47:34 AM
What backspace Bull are you using on the 15X8 to get the 295-50's to sit so centered? I am doing a search trying to nail down what I am going to do as far as width to run so perhaps this question will help others out. Assuming they do a search.

Mine are 4.5" which might be pretty standard. There's room to play on 15x8s with 295 Coopers and I wouldn't mind if the BS was about 4" to get them closer to the lip of the wheel well.

Nassau1969

15x8 all around or 15x7 in the front and 15x8 in the rear.

bull

Quote from: Nassau1969 on October 24, 2009, 09:35:32 PM
15x8 all around or 15x7 in the front and 15x8 in the rear.

If you're asking me I have 7s in the front and 8s in back. Only because I got one free 15x7 and a second one for $100. :shruggy: If I'd had my drethers and an unlimited flow of cash I'd have gotten 15x8s all around. But, as fate would apparently have it I got three used Magnums and one new blem for a total of about $300. Plus a pair of nice BfGoodrich TAs in the mix that I sold for about $100. A lot of hoop-jumping just to save a few bucks but... you know, a penny saved... It comes closer to helping me break even for all the times I've been hosed during this resto. :rotz:

Sorry for the complex/verbose response.

elacruze

This is a great thread, I was going to buy 10" rims but after seeing these, I think I'll stick with 8" even though they're cop rims.

Bull, your quarter panels decorated with pink bicycles is precious.  :angel:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bull

Quote from: elacruze on October 26, 2009, 07:51:16 AM
This is a great thread, I was going to buy 10" rims but after seeing these, I think I'll stick with 8" even though they're cop rims.

Bull, your quarter panels decorated with pink bicycles is precious.  :angel:

:smilielol: Thanks.

Belgium R/T -68

Does a too wide fronttire has any negative effects?

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

bull

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on October 26, 2009, 02:33:27 PM

Per

You mean other than rubbing?

METROID

This is a great thread, I was going to buy 10" rims but after seeing these, I think I'll stick with 8"

:iagree:

I may even try pushing it to 3.75 Back Spacing and see if it would still be in the clear. it doesn't look like it would rub but even if it did it would probably just rub when I go over bumps or have passengers or anything in the trunk.  :rotz:

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: bull on October 26, 2009, 07:17:19 PM

Per

Yes, like moore difficult to stear at low speed or worse cornering?

Per

bull

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on October 27, 2009, 04:16:25 AM
Quote from: bull on October 26, 2009, 07:17:19 PM

Per

Yes, like moore difficult to stear at low speed or worse cornering?

Per

Well, I'm sure there is a point to where they get too wide but I doubt it would really effect steering or cornering. I know of one 3rd generation owner who runs something like 275s up front with no problems. I plan on running 245s.

Here's some guys running 255s: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62160.0.html

Belgium R/T -68

Thanks :2thumbs: I had 255 all around on mine before but now planning 245, didn't feel anything wrong. I was just curious.

Per

HPP

My Bro runs 15x10 billet magnums with 5" backspace and a 275/60 tire. Fits great. Tires are tucked up in the wheel wells with no modifications what so ever. Don't even use SS springs, just teh OEM XHD style. Not sure how well a 295 would fit in there, but it would be cozy. Yes, you can run a 295 on an 8" rim, but to get full tread contact patch you will have to run them at something less than 35 psi, which can put additional heat in to the tire, which isn't always a good thing if you are ever hitting autocrosses or road courses. For cruising it is fine.

Running a wider tire up front will mask some of the mopar overassist power steering feeling because of the extra width your pushing around.

Troy

Quote from: METROID on October 27, 2009, 02:08:24 AM
This is a great thread, I was going to buy 10" rims but after seeing these, I think I'll stick with 8"

:iagree:

I may even try pushing it to 3.75 Back Spacing and see if it would still be in the clear. it doesn't look like it would rub but even if it did it would probably just rub when I go over bumps or have passengers or anything in the trunk.  :rotz:
I wouldn't try anything with a BS that small. The rims that are currently on my Charger R/T have that BS but only 255-60/15 tires. I had them on my Barracuda and with 275-60/15s they wouldn't even fit in the wheel well (and a 275 will fit on a Barracuda with a more centered BS). Remember that with a solid rear axle the tires will "tilt" as the suspension moves (inwards on one side and outwards on the other) so you can't run a tire all the way out to the lip on the quarter. I'd much rather have one rub on the inside (wheel house) than on the outer sheet metal. The bigger BS on the 10" rim just keeps things in the same "centered" position as the factory wheels and the extra width of the tire should take up equal amounts on both sides.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

METROID

Quote from: bull on October 24, 2009, 05:21:55 PM
Mine are 4.5" which might be pretty standard. There's room to play on 15x8s with 295 Coopers and I wouldn't mind if the BS was about 4" to get them closer to the lip of the wheel well.

:scratchchin: hmm, if you could go to 4" bs then according to this wheel fitment guide (http://vexer.com/68rt/wheelguide.html) Troy is correct I couldn't do this setup however it would seem that the biggest I could really go with (w/3.75bs) would be 275 on an 8 inch rim which would still leave me with more Clearence than if Bull used a 295 with 4" bs. That's better news than what I had hoped for. I wonder if using a taller profile like 60 would still be OK in the back.  :shruggy:

Speaking of the wheel fitment guide could one of you moderators please put it up as a sticky? I spent hours digging to find info on different combos and measurements and probably agitated a lot of people. If it weren't for greenpigs commenting on an old thread I would have never found the guide 0X01B8 posted. I just think making it a sticky would stop a lot of unneeded posts and in most cases people could answer there own wheel questions.

:popcrn: