News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Overheating issue resolved....interesting read !

Started by firefighter3931, August 18, 2009, 01:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on September 16, 2009, 07:26:28 PM
I just got my new Mancini housing and pump today.  I concur with Musicman's description of the housing.  The pump that comes with their combo housing/pump deal is their own.  They told me it is virtually identical to the Milodon pump.  It has 6 vanes with the metal piece welded to the back and the pump housing itself is also aluminum.  This combo pack also comes with a steel Mopar brand chrome water neck.  I have a billet aluminum one of these so won't use it on this build.  I also got the Milodon high volume 180 degree thermostat.

Is that the one for $160?

hpmike

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on September 16, 2009, 07:26:28 PM
I just got my new Mancini housing and pump today.  I concur with Musicman's description of the housing.  The pump that comes with their combo housing/pump deal is their own.  They told me it is virtually identical to the Milodon pump.  It has 6 vanes with the metal piece welded to the back and the pump housing itself is also aluminum.  This combo pack also comes with a steel Mopar brand chrome water neck.  I have a billet aluminum one of these so won't use it on this build.  I also got the Milodon high volume 180 degree thermostat.

They ought to stop selling those chrome water necks... They are a low quality, leaking POS.  Otherwise all good.

MB

Chatt69chgr

Corellian Corvette

Just to be 100% clear - you got the MANCINI aluminum pump and confirmed the passages are OK? Not the Mopar one from Mancini?

Are the housing bolts properly alligned on this one?

I have this same aluminum water pump and I'm GLAD I found this thread! New housing/pump getting ordered tomorrow!

Musicman

Yes, that's correct, this was the Mancini housing, not the Mopar housing sold by Mancicni :cheers:

Corellian Corvette

Thanks - just ordered everything from Mancini. No use taking the risk for $160...

firefighter3931

Just an update ; I purchased the Mancini Racing housing and pump at the Monster Mopar show and am happy to report that both pieces are very nice !

The housing has generous water passages just like the stock housing. The waterpump looks identical to my Milodon HV pump with an anti cavitation plate and 6 blade impeller.  :icon_smile_big:

I would have no probelm using either of these pieces and will be doing so on the new big cube stroker.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

If I'm not mistaken, Mancini does give you the option to purchase the pump and housing package WITHOUT the junky chrome water neck they just don't promote that fact very well.  They must have gotten a hell of a deal on those things at some point? :P

Corellian Corvette

They do, actually. You can get one with the billet water neck (which is what I did)

Hot_Rodder

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/hopupa.html
MANCINI - "B/RB" HIGH VOL. WATER PUMP / HOUSING PACKAGE - BILLET WATER NECK
We have packaged up a Mancini Racing high volume aluminum water pump and aluminum housing with Mancini Billet water neck.
$189.95
MRE6900KAH

This would be the one to go with I guess....

Ghoste

Or if you don't need a new neck for the housing you could order the Mancini pump and housing separately for a total of 169.90.  It all works. :icon_smile_big:

Chatt69chgr

The Mancini Racing pump and housing is what I recently ordered and received.  I already had a billet thermostat housing but would have ordered the combo with that item just to have an extra if I had realized it was available.  I concur with firefighter 3931 as far as the description of the housing and pump.  I also ordered the Milodon HV thermostat.  Should have ordered the gaskets for housing to block since I ended up having to go to two parts places to find them.  Everyone locally had the pump to housing and thermostat housing gaskets.  Glad we have this component nailed down now.  Sure would like to have the $100 back that 440Source got from me for their pump and housing but I pretty much know they will do nothing in this regard.

bull

Summit sells a high volume water pump with an anti-cavitation plate for $64 but it's iron instead of aluminum. FWIW.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFF-1317NC/?image=large

I'm either going to get this one or the Milodon but I'm going to reuse my stock housing.

bull

Hey, I was just looking at some water pumps on the Napa and AutoZone sites and both had 8-blade impellors like the originals but no anti-cavitation plates. I wonder if they'd be considered high volume?

Addendum: I was just taking a long, hard look at the 440 Source parts compared to Milodon/Mancini and OE and I have to say not only is the 440 Source pump design monumentally inadequate (it almost looks as if it should be turning counter-clockwise to work right) I actually think the OE design is superior to the Summit and Mancini pumps. The 440 Source pump/housing used together looks like it would be a disaster but I have to say the pump is probably the weaker of the two, and that's saying a lot. However, if you look at the cavern behind the plate on the Milodon/Mancini pump it's no wonder they need an anti-cavitation plate, and since the plate it welded directly to the impellors there'e still a gap between the plate back and the cavern. The OE pumps do not have that cavern as they are flush cast design behind the impellors as well as two more blades (8 instead of 6). I think I'm going to grab one of the following OE pumps from Napa or Autozone because I don't see the advantage to the Mancini-style pump. Mancini's housings look to be very nice but aside from the weight savings I don't see a difference between them and OE.

http://napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=WP_58173_0131284113&An=599001+101968+50020+2020008

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?skuDescription=Duralast+New+/+Water+Pump&categoryDisplayName=Climate+Control&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=61161_0_0_5281&productId=61161&sortType=&parentId=52-0&filterByKeyWord=water+pump&isSearchByPartNumber=false&navValue=15200095&categoryNValue=15299999&fromWhere=&itemId=95-0&displayName=Water+Pump&store=2236&searchText=water+pump&brandName=Duralast+New

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?skuDescription=Valucraft+/+Water+Pump&categoryDisplayName=Climate+Control&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=535467_0_0_&productId=535467&sortType=&parentId=52-0&filterByKeyWord=water+pump&isSearchByPartNumber=false&navValue=15200095&categoryNValue=15299999&fromWhere=&itemId=95-0&displayName=Water+Pump&store=2236&searchText=water+pump&brandName=Valucraft

mauve66

when i click on the links it takes me to a 2002 ford focus ?????????????
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

bull

Huh? Well, those friggin' search links don't work half the time anyway. The Autozone links work fine but the napa link doesn't.

At any rate I did get one thing figured out today, at least I think I did, regarding those anti-cavitation plates. Seems the only pumps that run the risk of cavitating are the aluminum ones. Every iron pump I've seen is flush behined the impellors and every aluminum pump I've seen (with the exception of the POS 440 Source pump) has a cavern behind the impellors. By the same token every aluminum pump I've seen has six impellor blades and every iron one I've seen has eight. Right now I'm having a hard time believing that any aftermarket aluminum pump is going to push more volume than an OE pump.

hemi354az

Overheating ? Pump Housings ? Ha ! Cornfused ? You ain't seen nothing yet !!!

Stumbled onto this Forum. I'm in a FMC Motorhome group. The 1973-76 FMC MH has a rear mounted 440 Chrysler engine in a pusher setup. It has a reverse flow fan that is supposed to get air from the side, push it into the shroud, then it goes thru the radiator and out the back grill. Yea, sure ! FMCers have been chasing overheating problems for years.

We got thinking about all the different pumps that have appeared over the years, and decided to run a test to see if there was any difference in them. We also decided to see if there was any difference in the pump housings that have a machined register for the T-stat to expand into, compared to the same one that just has a simple hole under the T-stat.

Used a precision Rotameter to measure TOTAL coolant system flow in gallons per minute verse engine RPM, for a complete 440 engine/radiator. Changed only the pump for each test. I'll try to post the pics and test results with several entries. I don't want to get into a big discussion. The data speaks for itself. Draw you own comparisons and conclusions. Think you will find it interesting.
Press ON, Lou.

hemi354az

FMC 440 Water Pump Tests.
Bolted OPEN Mopar "high flow" Thermostat, bought from Milodon.
2nd pic is of the two different MOPAR pump housings. The both have inlet on Passenger (Car) side.
One has a fancy machined well that the T-stat expands into. The one with the simple hole is internally the same as the MOPAR pump housing that has the short inlet on the Driver (car) side. We did NOT test the short neck housing, I don't think the short neck housing flows any more or less that the long neck one with the simple hole. Lou.

hemi354az

FMC 440 Water Pump Test
Test Set-Up is a 4-barrel 440 in a Pace (?) MH. Good engine. Grill, radiator, and fan were removed and sold. Radiator used as out of a full size 73 (?) Chrysler.
Couple of pics of the 5 to 60 GPM Rotameter. High $ ! Fittings are 1.75" straight pipe. We used 1.5" ID PVC and similar 1.5 and 2.0 " radiator hose for the coolant plumbing. Same WP housing and T-stat used throughout. Changed ONLY the water pump cartridge. Lou.

hemi354az

FMC 440 Water Pump Test
Can't attach a spreadsheet, damn ! There were 10 tests. They are numbered 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,10,12. The pumps in test 8 and 11 leaked and no data was taken. Pumps were tested at 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, and 3500 RPM. The flow meter has a 5 to 60 GPM range. Flow below 5 GPM is unreliable, so some of the data will be <5, which means that the flow was less than 5 GPM.
You might want to make a spreadsheet type page, handwritten will work. Paper sideways. down the left side RPM. Across the top, 10 boxes spread out across. In each of the top boxes across the top, put Test #___, Impeller Diam ___, # of Blades ___, Pump Type ___, Housing Type ___. I'll give the Test Data (Flow in GPM at each RPM) for each of the 10 tests and the fill in data about pump impeller diam, # blades, etc, as well as an individual picture of each pump tested. The Test Data and pump ID pictures will take a little while to Post. Don't worry about coming back till you see PUMP TEST #12. Stand by . . . Lou.

hemi354az

Pump Test #1 - FMC 440
Impeller Diam 4.375", 8 blades, stamped sheet metal, tested with Machined T-stat well housing.
RPM         GPM
1000        14.5
1500        18.5
2000        23.0
2500        29.0
3000        28.0
3500        27.5

This is the "stock" water pump that came on the 440 Chrysler used in the FMC MH. It has a long bearing housing that gets two bearings, and is greasable. We do not know of any other application that has this same water pump. Lou.

hemi354az

Pump Test #2 - FMC 440
Impeller Diam 3.890", 6 blades, Hi-swirl aluminum casting, tested with Machined T-stat well housing (same as Test #1).
RPM         GPM
1000        <5
1500         7.0
2000        16.0
2500        20.0
3000        25.0
3500        29.5

This is the new and improved impeller style. Does the flow continue to increase ? I do not know.
Lou.

hemi354az

Pump Test #3 - FMC 440
Impeller Diam 4.392", 8 straight blades, cast Brass, tested with Machined T-stat well housing (Same as Test #1).
RPM         GPM
1000         7.0
1500        17.0
2000        23.0
2500        29.5
3000        36.5
3500        37.0

This is a MOPAR Marine water pump. It is for rotation in either direction. Lou.

hemi354az

Pump Test #4 - FMC 440
Impeller Diam 4.332", 10 blades, cast Iron, tested with Machined T-stat well housing (Same as Test #1).
RPM         GPM
1000         6.0
1500        16.0
2000        21.0
2500        26.5
3000        31.0
3500        31.5

Bought this on E-bay. Do not know what application other than B/RB. Lou.

hemi354az

Pump Test #5 - FMC 440
Impeller Diam 3.505", 6 blades, stamped sheet metal, tested with Machined T-stat well housing (Same as Test #1).
RPM         GPM
1000         <5
1500         7.0
2000        17.0
2500        21.0
3000        27.0
3500        32.0

Simplest of them all. Smallest diameter of them all. Lou.