News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Overheating issue resolved....interesting read !

Started by firefighter3931, August 18, 2009, 01:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgedarren

I have a 440 bored .30 over with Edelbrock RPM Heads and intake. I put a Hayden 2765 clutch fan and a 160 high flow thermostat. Engine idles at 210. I have a 22' stock radiator that was boiled and cleaned.

Question, can you add another core to the stock 22" radiator??

dodgedarren

Quick note. I was having over heating issue and it turned out that my carb was running to rich.

frederick

Quote from: CrAzYMoPaRGuY on July 27, 2011, 04:23:07 PM
Here's a slight twist....

I bought a Mr Gasket high flow 160 stat for my Interceptor... (anybody know where this is going?  :lol: )
After running warm/hot I pulled the stat to test it, and bought a $7 Stant regular stat to compare it to.
Dropped both in a pot of water, applied heat.

160 $7 Stant cap strated opening at 165 degrees.
160 Mr Gasket high flow stat barely started opening at 210 degrees.

NO MISPRINT!

I tossed the Mr Gasket high flow and my temps dropped dramatically.

I also have a 440 Source aluminum water pump on my Interceptor, but a PASSENGER side dump. I don't seem to have an issue with it, but wonder if they are not as restrictive as the driver's side dump housings?
Are the guys here who have NO issues with cooling and 440 Source housings possibly PASSENGER side pump users?

I also HAD a 440 Source pump in my Interceptor, but thought I would swap to an Edelbrock pump to see if there was a major difference. Swapped them out anddd.... NO difference.  :shruggy: The Edelbrock didn't cool any better than the 440 Source pump in MY car.

Thanks for the warning.
I had a Mr Gasket high flow stat in my car.....
Had some trouble with it getting too hot.
Checked the stat and YEP, only opens by a tiny amount.(less than 0.040")
Another Mr Gasket part in the dustbin.

Chryco Psycho

I have had problems with the High Flow T stats too , I just use the Stant ones now

Brads70

I've got a 440 source housing on mine but the passenger side outlet. Has anyone had any trouble with that housing? It's mounted on the car so I can't check for restrictions?

dodgedarren

Quote from: Brads70 on September 29, 2011, 01:52:53 PM
I've got a 440 source housing on mine but the passenger side outlet. Has anyone had any trouble with that housing? It's mounted on the car so I can't check for restrictions?

I believe earlier on in the post several people complained about the 440 Source Housing.

Brads70

Quote from: dodgedarren on September 29, 2011, 01:55:28 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on September 29, 2011, 01:52:53 PM

I believe earlier on in the post several people complained about the 440 Source Housing.

Ya I read that , just seemed to be the drivers side outlet housing that seemed to be the issue? I have the passenger side outlet ( like what on a motorhome engine) and was wondering if it had the same problem?

Brent69

Wow, don't know how I missed this when I was doing all my research.  I bought a bunch of stuff from 440 Source, including their aluminum water pump and housing.  My car is still in the restoration shop, and hasn't seen much street time with the new build, but it is running hot.  I think I'll look at buying the Milodon HV and see what that does.

Thanks to all for the in depth research.

Inspector71

Thanks for this post. I thought I was the king of over heating cars, plagued by this for years. Anyway I am new here but not to MOPARS. I am planning a stroker job for my 383 and I was going to go with the 440 Source kit (obviously not their water pump and housing units). Is this a company I should avoid? Thanks and if this has been asked a million times, please accept my apologies.

Musicman

Lots of folks are running the 440source stroker kits...

greenpigs

Pure guess but I believe the first batch or two may have had casting issues & are now OK. Either way buy one off Mancini so it is a non issue & what I advise.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Charger 512

Now u guys got me worried! i just put together a 512 stroker,it ran flawlessly
on the dyno.Ok now should i be worried about this i bought it in oct 2011.

ncmiller1

Brads70 - I've been having overheating problems and I have the 440source housing with the passenger side inlet.  I just took it off today and the restrictions are the same; you can't squeeze a single finger in the block inlet ports, whereas my stock iron housing you can easily get your entire finger in the ports.  The original is going on tomorrow so I will follow up if the overheating issue is solved (fingers crossed)!

Brads70

Quote from: ncmiller1 on April 10, 2012, 07:55:51 PM
Brads70 - I've been having overheating problems and I have the 440source housing with the passenger side inlet.  I just took it off today and the restrictions are the same; you can't squeeze a single finger in the block inlet ports, whereas my stock iron housing you can easily get your entire finger in the ports.  The original is going on tomorrow so I will follow up if the overheating issue is solved (fingers crossed)!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm building a 451  soon so I'll check it out when I pull the pump off the 440. :cheers:
Does anyone make a passenger side outlet pump in aluminum besides 440 source?

FLG

Quote from: Brads70 on April 13, 2012, 06:52:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm building a 451  soon so I'll check it out when I pull the pump off the 440. :cheers:

Yes, give mancini racing a call.

Or stop on ebay, theres a company that sells polished ones for pretty darn cheap...i cant vouch for em but they sure do look nice.

greenpigs

QuoteYes, give mancini racing a call.

X2
Stick with a known GOOD source.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Brads70

Quote from: FLG on April 15, 2012, 02:36:55 AM
Quote from: Brads70 on April 13, 2012, 06:52:39 PM

Yes, give mancini racing a call.

Or stop on ebay, theres a company that sells polished ones for pretty darn cheap...i cant vouch for em but they sure do look nice.

Looked on Mancini's web site and E-Bay , can't find them? Just drivers side outlets no passenger side outlets?

FLG

Give them a call, sometimes they dont list everything on there site.

Brads70

Quote from: FLG on April 16, 2012, 12:28:40 AM
Give them a call, sometimes they dont list everything on there site.
Ok thanks. I was just at there store a few months ago.  :brickwall:

ncmiller1

Brads70, sorry for the late reply, but after putting the stock pump housing on with a stock pump and a milodon high flow 180° thermostat all my cooling issues vanished.  I just spent some time cleaning it up and then painted it with silver engine paint and it looks great.  I searched for a different aluminum housing with passenger inlet other than 440source's, but couldn't find one.  Good luck on your search, and go stock housing before you go 440source!

Brads70

Quote from: ncmiller1 on April 30, 2012, 01:05:56 PM
Brads70, sorry for the late reply, but after putting the stock pump housing on with a stock pump and a milodon high flow 180° thermostat all my cooling issues vanished.  I just spent some time cleaning it up and then painted it with silver engine paint and it looks great.  I searched for a different aluminum housing with passenger inlet other than 440source's, but couldn't find one.  Good luck on your search, and go stock housing before you go 440source!

So far so good with the 440 source passenger housing  ( 3 years now) but I'm building a new engine and might switch back to driver side out let, in which case I'll use the Mopar performance housing. Thanks for the reply!  :2thumbs:

splicer

Don't know if this has been mentioned but I had a PRW aluminum water pump housing on my big block and it is the same restrictive casting as the 440 Source...
I switched to a Mopar Performance housing....much larger passages...

Splicer

Steve P.

Anything to smooth out and ease flow is good.... Restrictions where they do not belong, BAD!!! 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Musicman

Pages 6-9 contain some wonderful information... folks should read it.  :cheers:

Cooter

Quote from: Musicman on June 01, 2012, 05:07:59 PM
Pages 6-9 contain some wonderful information... folks should read it.  :cheers:

Yep! Learned ALOT from this thread. Maybe now I can finally get the other three big blocks to stop running warm.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"