News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering shaft

Started by 1charger69, August 29, 2009, 11:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1charger69

anyone know what the correct lenght of the steering shaft (tip to tip) should be....mine collapsed a bit...ugh :brickwall:   i did this YEARS AGO during dissassmbly like a dumbass....just trying to fix a potential problem ::)

alcusswhen

When you slider it back out and hook to the steering box it will be right, so don't worry about it.
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

b5blue

Right and when he does that he will be able to pull the wheel up to his chest!

terrible one

I was able to collapse the shaft some for installation of the steering box and new coupler, and did just as alcusswhen said and slid it back out to where it needed to be.

My steering wheel is as secure as ever . . .  no sliding out here :scratchchin:

b5blue

If it can telescope freely It could disengage if the coupler cover comes loose also...both problems have been pointed out in the forum by other members, that's why I mentioned it, the column is slightly different through the years and the situation is always different after 35-44 years of use, steering, like brakes I take really serious so I pointed this out. I would not use the car and risk it. There are topics covering the use of plastic or nylon screws or epoxies to repair the shaft here and on Moparts forum, some have put small tack welds also I believe. I'm not trying to be a A hole....I've torn down my column and rebuilt it, when it's apart there is no reason not to repair it properly. The FSM shows the adjustment needed for the sliders in the coupler to be centered correctly, if it can move up and down it's not correct.  :2thumbs: