News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car show cut off date set at 1971. That sucks for 72 Muscle cars

Started by 1969chargerrtse, August 30, 2009, 08:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I'm glad I don't have my 72 454 vette anymore I wouldn't be allowed to show my car at this show.  Even though the Hp rating was lowered with the new 72 standards, my 72 454 was the exact same 365hp motor that was in the 71 vette, only rated at something like 270 if I remember correct?
What do you guys think about a cut off date of 71?  I think it stinks and I own a 69. 

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69_500

Doesn't bother me that much. There are local shows around here that have a manufactures cut off date as 1963, and some that are even earlier than that. It all depends on what kind of  cars they are trying to get into the show. Most of the local shows have cut off dates that relate to the year it is. IE 2009 show would have a cut off date of either 1969, 1979, or the such.

Troy

One of our biggest local shows has always had a cut off of 1970 (and I've been going since the mid 80s). It is put on by a street rod club though and averages over 2,500 cars. If they changed the rules I don't think they'd fit in the current venue so that would be a bigger problem. It sucked when I had a 73 Barracuda but now most all of my cars are eligible. Each show I attend has its own personality and I'm glad they are all slightly different as I don't like seeing the exact same cars at every show.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mike DC

Cutting things off at 1971 does seem like an odd choice though.  That year is not rounded to any anniversary in 2009 or 2010, and it is neither the beginning nor the end of any particular era.  (For example, a 1963 cutoff makes perfect logical sense - 1964 was the formal start of the musclecar era.)

Troy

1971 is generally considered the end of the muscle car era - the last of the best any way. There are a few exceptions of course (Pontiac SD Trans Am for example).

Troy

Mike DC

IMHO that line belongs at the 1974 to 1975 cutoff.  That is where the car world has generally drawn that line the deepest, regardless of the brand.

Cutting it at 1971 seems like hair-splitting.  A 1971 model seems more "muscular" than a 1974 model, but by that same yardstick a 1968 model usually seems a lot more muscular than a 1965 model too.  I mean, a 1972 model is probably gonna be wearing virtually the same body style as the peak years, probably most of the same engine blocks & cylinder heads, etc.

RECHRGD

It also appears that the cut off date goes both ways.  All I see is one Mopar class and it says 1968-1971. :shruggy: :shruggy:  So I guess if you have a 1st generation Charger or a Mopar from the super stock years your also out of luck.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

oldrock

seems like 73 makes more sense to me since 74 was when all the emissions stuff seemed to take the muscle out of muscle cars. Course they have to pick some year to cut things off and are always going to have some cool cars that miss the cut off.

The70RT

Quote from: oldrock on August 30, 2009, 11:03:47 AM
seems like 73 makes more sense to me since 74 was when all the emissions stuff seemed to take the muscle out of muscle cars. Course they have to pick some year to cut things off and are always going to have some cool cars that miss the cut off.

I agree. Around here cutoffs are usually 72. I think that is a GM thing because Chevelles, Cutlas,s Montes etc got big and ugly with those huge bumpers when the body styles changed and are not as worthey as the earlier ones. 72-3 stangs look close, Challengers and Cudas held the same featues......so must be GM thing to me?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Todd Wilson

I think 1971 is a tad early for cut off. I wish some of our shows did have a cut off date. Then I wouldnt have to see a bunch of rice burner tuner cars show up and hear thier stereos pumping out cRap music. Or look at the guy with his new Mustang GT500. Or look at the guy with a Scion with mirrors underneath is 3 month old vehicle showing off its perfect underside. We have a tuner club that shows up at shows. With their wings and wheels and neon glow lighting. Open their hoods to show off their chrome air intake they bought out of a catalog. They are always in a group. Yelling and cussing and they all turn their stereos up and walk off thinking everyone there wants to hear their music. We even had one jackass show up this year in a new Chevy Cobalt. He had a chrome air intake and a fancy stereo in it. He jacked the car up and took off one wheel?!  Why I dont know. It was factory suspension.  Turned his stereo up and walked around like a monkey with his pants hanging half off his ass smoking a swisher sweet cigar thinking he was cool.  Then when its all over with they all rev their weed eater engines and drop their clutches doing half ass'd burn outs and driving stupid with people everywhere and classic cars worth more then all their crap is combined.  So yeah I'd like to see cut off dates!

Todd

Cooperman

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

Brock Samson

Quote from: Todd Wilson on August 30, 2009, 11:54:22 AM
I think 1971 is a tad early for cut off. I wish some of our shows did have a cut off date. Then I wouldnt have to see a bunch of rice burner tuner cars show up and hear thier stereos pumping out cRap music. Or look at the guy with his new Mustang GT500. Or look at the guy with a Scion with mirrors underneath is 3 month old vehicle showing off its perfect underside. We have a tuner club that shows up at shows. With their wings and wheels and neon glow lighting. Open their hoods to show off their chrome air intake they bought out of a catalog. They are always in a group. Yelling and cussing and they all turn their stereos up and walk off thinking everyone there wants to hear their music. We even had one jackass show up this year in a new Chevy Cobalt. He had a chrome air intake and a fancy stereo in it. He jacked the car up and took off one wheel?!  Why I dont know. It was factory suspension.  Turned his stereo up and walked around like a monkey with his pants hanging half off his ass smoking a swisher sweet cigar thinking he was cool.  Then when its all over with they all rev their weed eater engines and drop their clutches doing half ass'd burn outs and driving stupid with people everywhere and classic cars worth more then all their crap is combined.  So yeah I'd like to see cut off dates!

Todd

Classic!

Silver R/T

around here some people bring late model cars to classic car shows and pretend like there's nothing wrong
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

41husk

I believe 71 is a little early considering those cars are over 35 years old, but I would rather see it cut off at 71 than do like some of these local shows do and have a mopar all.  I have seen a 32 Dodge coupe with 09 Challengers, Vipers, PT cruizers, prowlers and a host of 60s and 70s  muscle :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

jb666

Todd

Tell us how you REALLY feel, Todd. Don't hold back  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The70RT

We don't get the tuner crowd at our cruise ins. Maybe they know better by now that all these old men don't like their cRAP They hang out nights on the strip like we use to on the Blvd.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BrianShaughnessy

Personally I think a 71 cutoff sucks.   Reminds me of the crappy goodguys shows that used to cutoff at 62 but now they bumped it to 72.

I'm not into tuners at all (they're foreign junk!) but I don't want to exclude kids from the hobby just because their parents brought them up wrong.      Most of the parking lot / crappy 50's DJ car shows try to limit to 25 years.   I find them pretty boring as mostly they're put on by the same old guys.   Meanwhile the tuner shows do try to put out a few muscle car categories to include old stuff.  Go figure. 

The Sawyer show uptown that I leave Carlisle to go to on Sunday has a rolling 25 year rule that seems to apply to everything but corvettes.    The vettes are all herded into a special parking lot anyway so they're sorta segregated.    Just as well...  ::)       Another show called "Classics under the Gunks" blatantly has a trophy class for NEW vettes.   That just doesn't sit right with me.   I can't even get them to break down the all encompassing generic "modified" class that ends up with 30 or 40 cars of all makes.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

68X426

Todd, you are right on.  :smilielol:

Yeah, 1971 is low, what we see in NorCal is either 74 or 73, when it is a muscle division. Or else no limit at all. Which led to .....

My similar experience yesterday. I was placed next to a new PT thingy dingy, it still had the dealer advertising on it. Hood open. Guy struting. Pants dragging. Nice enough fellow, his friends spent the afternoon hanging out by my Hemi, leaning and learning. I kinda felt sorry for his culture shock.

It's all good to be inclusive but it's the attitude that gets smirked at, not the car.

His shock was drowned out by the red hot 12 piece R&B band with the four horn players. I had a great day. 

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Todd Wilson

Quote from: jb666 on August 30, 2009, 02:09:19 PM

Tell us how you REALLY feel, Todd. Don't hold back  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If I had been awake a little more and had some more ice tea drank before I typed it I wouldnt have held back!    ;D

Todd

Todd Wilson

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 30, 2009, 03:02:43 PM

I'm not into tuners at all (they're foreign junk!) but I don't want to exclude kids from the hobby just because their parents brought them up wrong.     

I dont really want to exclude them. But they could show up and act decent like everyone else. No one else there was loud and cussing and playing their music really loud. I've been to the same show 2 years in a row and its all good until they show up. 2 years ago I was about to thump one of them and then run over his car with the old truck. One of the head bosshog tuners had to do the white boy gangsta act with me and when I told him the situation he walked over and told the kid to move his car and all was well.    I like the cut off dates but 71 is early.   I also enjoy seeing the high end cars like Vipers or Ford GT's that would be excluded by a date deal. Theres ust no good way around it.

:argue:

Todd

1969chargerrtse

I always found as far back as 1955 to 1973 to cover to all.  Muscle cars would be about , the 57 Chevy Fulie?  62 409 dual Quad?  64 GTO/Mustang and then right up to about 72, maybe a 73 here and there, and that's about it.

On the Vette, 72 was the same engine as 71, but in 73 the 454 lost compression and torque.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bearbqd

Even though the performance was all but gone, I think the cut off should be 74. I mean the e-bodies, although anemic at this point still had the same great ebody shape and a lot of people hotrod them to be performance machines. In looks, they were pretty much identical to the 72's and 3's so why not? Other brands could be argued too. I think the 70-73 Firebirds were the best looking years for that body with the superduty being available until 74. I think 74 is a reasonable cutoff year.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

oldrock

thought I would just share what I saw at a car show today. (sorry but didn't take a camera)

What the show did was divide cars into categories...
pre 60s - no real standout to me, cool chevy sedans mostly
60s - lots of cool cars but the standouts to me were the 69 charger and a 67 camaro convertable
70s - they had an amazing 70 boss 302 mustang and a very nice 72 442.
post 70s - sorry but snore... Im just not inspired by the 80s stuff

imho, the best years for muscle cars would be 1965-1972. With pretty much any model you care to name, I could pick a specific year in that range and say that is my very favorite for that car. For example with mustangs, it would be 1969/1970. Camaros or firebirds would be 1967/1969. GTO would be 1972, chevelle would be 71 and I could go on and on. Seems like that era of 65-72 pretty much was "it" for me.

jerry

1970 should be cutoff year. anything after that is just ho hum.

Troy

I went to a cruise-in last week and out of 40 or so cars 5 were new Camaros (4 still wearing temporary tags). Most cruise-ins don't have a year limit so I'm used to seeing rows of new cars.

Troy