News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Matthan's 1970 Dodge Charger Project

Started by Matthan, September 03, 2009, 10:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthan

Here are a few pictures from my new 1970 Dodge Charger Project. I just purchased this car about 2 months ago so I am really excited about getting it started. I found it out of Columbia, South Carolina. Not really sure what direction I am going to go as of yet I have a 440 or 318 that I could use.

Matthan

More Pics

b5blue

All right! Another 70 getting saved  :2thumbs: (I got one too)

Rallyecharger

:2thumbs: Awesome project............don't forget to register it with the '70 Charger Registry.

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:  :shruggy: 440 - that makes it easy don't it?.. keep us posted..  :popcrn:

Mefirst

Build the 440, if you go with the 318 youll just end up kicking yourself in the head later on...

Have fun with it...

/Tom

Dodge Don

Hard to tell but it looks reasonably solid. What is the deal with all the crud on the rear floor pan? Flood?

Best of luck on your resto. If you need help on your 70 Charger......http://1970chargerregistry.com/

Matthan

I may use the 440, but I have my eye on a 1969 Charger that a older man has in my area since 1972 and I was going to use it in that car. His wife already told me that they would sell it to me so I am just waithing until he is ready to part with it...................................................................................How much more money am I looking at speading if I build the 440 instead of the 318?

b5blue

It's not so much the 440...it's all the other stuff to change FROM the 318, I did cam- lifters- springs- retainers- heads cleaned up- bearings- .060 pistons, and probably ended up @ 2200.00 back in the car done, that's machine work, Mopar Performance parts, Speed Pro pistons, gaskets, yada-yada-yada, the cool thing with a small block would be using the newer 518 tranny. I would think you could just get a good newer 360 and tranny combo clean it up and go from there.

Matthan

The only reason I say I may go with the 318 is that it pretty much ready to drop in. I know the 440 would be awesome to

charger_cody

Quote from: Matthan on September 10, 2009, 09:48:15 AM
The only reason I say I may go with the 318 is that it pretty much ready to drop in. I know the 440 would be awesome to

Do us all a great favor and dont get in a hurry. Putting the 440 in it will be better if your looking for a nice driver with some power in it. If the car is going to be a daily driver 7 days a week then 318 will save gas. Sometimes taking the extra time to fix the better motor will be worth it.

Cody

Brock Samson

the engines ain't exactly interchangeable, exhausts, tranny, mounts and radiators stuff will be an issue to be decided,.. BTW: i do sugest you use the mini starter whatever combo you choose...

charger_cody

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 10, 2009, 09:54:37 AM
the engines ain't exactly interchangeable, exhausts, tranny, mounts and radiators stuff will be an issue to be decided,.. BTW: i do sugest you use the mini starter whatever combo you choose...

:yesnod:

Brock Samson

not to mention driveshaft length... looks like i mentioned it..  :shruggy:

Matthan

yeah, I have the tranny and the other main parts that i would need to get it going. I have had a 1969 charger with a 440 last year until I sold it. I may build this one to sell and keep the 440 that I have and put it in my next project I am really just working on the body right now, so I will have some time to think about it. I may paint it black with a white or silver bubble bee strip on the rear.

Matthan

Matthan

Here are some Pics

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

FLG

super_dave

In regards to the engine, I would say any money spent going to a 440 is money well spent, and spending money on a 318, well not so good.  If you ever wanted to sell the car, I know I'd be looking for the 440, a 318 is a joke in my mind for a charger nowadays if you have the option of going to a 440.  :shruggy:

Matthan

Well that's cool if you think that a (318 in a Charger is a Joke) besides a 318 is a great little motor and I am not going to drag it or anything. The 318 I am putting in it is the original motor so that is why I am doing it. I have a 440 and transmission that I got when I bought the Charger, but I have decided t that I am going to save that for my next project.

magnum

Nice project :2thumbs: love the 70 Chargers....As for the 318 don't blame you they are a good little motor..I had one in my 73 and it worked just fine......Even better its the original :cheers:..
Takes a MOPAR to catch a mopar!

68coronetGLwannabe

I agree on the 318. I have one in my 68 coronet and its also the org. motor. it has little leaks every were but every time I want to take a cruise I check all the fluids and go. It is far less tempermental than my BB and great on gas (If that matters). Your car is looking good  :2thumbs:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Matthan

tan top

got a project going on there :yesnod:  nothing wrong in keeping it a small block !! check out the crate motors that are out there now 402 ci small block & dress it up to look like a stock 318  :yesnod: , keep the pictures coming dude love looking at stuff like this  :popcrn: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html