News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Going to look at a 69 Hemi 500 today (not to buy)

Started by Ghoste, November 25, 2005, 04:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I am going to look at a 69 Hemi Charger 500 today just to take a bunch of pictures and crawl around the car.  For all of you that catalog these cars, is  there any particular thing you want to know besides vin and data tag?

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

Oh, I'll be taking lots of pics of it.  This may be my last chance.  The car has been kind of a loosely guarded secret in this area for a while and it is coming out now because it is going to be available for sale very shortly.  I saw it once before from a distance but this will be my first opportunity to get close.

Shakey

Ghoste

69_500

If you haven't left yet, the only pictures that would be nice to see are pictures of the edges of the front grille. There is a rubber strip that runs along the left and right edge of the grille between the grill and the body. That piece is usually missing on most 500's, and if that one has it it would be nice to get a close up picture of the ribs on the rubber. Another thing to take a picture of is the side marker lights on the rear, and if the car hasn't ever been painted just curious as to what color those are. If they are painted stripe color or body color. As I've seen them both ways on other survivor cars.

Is this car a 4 speed or an AT? And if it is going up for sale here shortly, any ideas on the price he would be asking. I know of quite a few people who are on the look out for HEMI 500's.

Ghoste

Not leaving until about 1pm this afternoon.  I'll get that stuff for you.

69_500

Ask the owner if he has a broadcast sheet too. Typically if the car has either green or black interior, the sheet in the car didn't go to the car it was in. I have found that quite a few of the blue interior cars as well as white  and red interior cars had the correct broadcast sheets in them.

A picture of the fender tag and VIN would be appreciated as well. If the car has been out to any shows over the past 20 years, there is a good chance I might already have a pic of that, but it would be another nice car to add to the 69 Registry.

Ghoste

I don't know how much it's been out.  As I said, it's been a loosely guarded secret so most people didn't know he had the car and the current owner hasn't shown it all that I know of.  But I don't know how long he's had it.  He built a reasonably impressive Mopar collection very quietly so I don't know how long he's been at it.  I just became aware of him about 7 or 8 years ago and this particular car about 5 years ago.

69_500

Well best of luck to you, in being able to take pictures. Looking forward to seeing them. So have you seen the car before? Do you know if its a 4 speed or AT? Or what color it is?

73rallye440magnum

is this car restored, needs to be restored, or a nice original?
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

Ghoste

I believe it's a four speed but I could be wrong.  It most very definitely does not need any restoration.  I don't know yet if it's a survivor or not, but it is an excellent example.

hemi68charger

If you can.. take pictures of the grille, the area behind it, the headlamp bezel fillers between the headlamp bezels and the front fenders, the stainless wind deflectors and the rear window area........ The last place would be the "500" emblem on the taillamp panel passenger side.....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

Just kind of all over those areas?  I'm leaving shortly so I need to know if there are specific details in the grille and rear window that you are looking for.

Charger_Fan

I can't think of a better way to spend a few hours than looking at a car like that! :thumbs:

Don't forget your drool catcher. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ghoste

Oh yeah, they've been my dream car for many many years but always stayed just out of financial reach.  Now they seem to have moved permanently there.

Ghoste

Okay, the good news and the bad news.  The bad is that even though I shot lots of pics, it's old fashioned light emulsion film so you will have to wait until I get them developed before I can post.  Sorry, I'm just not that digital (ask 6pk how long it's been taking me just to scan some brochures :o)
Now the good news is, I think most of you know the car quite well.  I wasn't going to publicly post the vin but I think this vin may be known.  XS29J9B110510.
Do you know the car?

Shakey

If it were a 500 wouldn't the VIN start with XX not XS?

Troy

Quote from: Shakey on November 25, 2005, 03:53:52 PM
If it were a 500 wouldn't the VIN start with XX not XS?
Not necessarily. I'm sure someone else can answer that question better than me though so I'll wait.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69_500

I believe that you have 2 typo errors in the VIN number to that car.

Is the car R4 red, black interior, with cloth inserts, power windows, 4 speed, white tail stripe? If I am not mistaken the car should also have the side marker light bezel painted body color and not the stripe color. The car was also in many magazines over the years. Last time I saw the car it had I believe 15,000 miles on the odo, and it is a survivor car.

The fender tag for the car is XS, however the dash vin is XX.

and it is a 610 not 510 for the last 3 digits.

Ghoste

One possible typo and you are correct on everything else.   I'm quite certain of the "XS".   The 6 and 5 could be mixed up though.   There was a lot of paint on the fender tag so I could have misread or even just wrote it down wrong.  The dash vin was somewhat obscured and hard to read.   The stripe has been replaced at some point in it's life and it has had some other paint work as well.   It almost appears as though it was hit once in the driver's rear quarter.   I'll let you be the judge when I post the pics though.   I am going back on Wednesday and I hope to spend more time in it.   I had to leave early today to pick up my daughter.
This was the Dodge press car used for the road tests.   The Hot Rod article where the Hemi 500 ran 13.9, this is that car.
As to the XS Shakey, some of the very early 500's came through with XS intact because remember, these cars began life as RT's and were plucked from the regular assembly line and then shipped to Creative for the 500 alteration.  Some assert that this car is the very first 500 to roll out of Creative Industries but I'm not well versed enough in the cars to confirm or deny that.

69_500

Okay then i'm correct, it is 110610. It is the first of the 69 Charger 500's. And your correct it has been wrecked. It was wrecked during a press test drive in 1969. I believe it was Hot Rod magazine that wrecked and repaired the car. I don't remember the stripe having been replaced however.

I know for certain that the fender tag reads XS, but i'm also 100% certain the VIN is XX. So did you look at any of his other cars while you were there? As in his Survivor Superbird? I think he also has a Survivor 69 1/2 Superbee as well. It might have been a RR, I don't remember. Very nice guy who has these cars. Had the privaledge of parking my 500 next to his Superbird at the Chrysler Classic in Columbus this year.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Danny you already gave that one to me.  Its S/O # 925000!   First Hemi/first 500 no?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

The Super Bird and Super Bee are not going up for sale (yet) so they were not there.  The car was not at his home, it is at the auction company head office.  He will also be selling off a 65 Coronet with a 426 Wedge, a 68 Road Runner, a 68 Mr. Norm GSS Dart, a 70 Hemi Cuda, a 70 Hemi Challenger and a 66 Hemi Satellite.
You're right, he is a very good guy and he has a nice collection. 

hemi68charger

Look forward to the pics....... Danny, great info...........

Thanks,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection