News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

426 Maxie Cross Ram for a 440?

Started by cudaken, November 25, 2005, 05:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

Many of you may know the Charger may be sold. If I do sell the Charger and with the blower being sold I have been looking on E-bay again for more places to waste money ;)

Saw a 440 that intake set up like looked like my old 426 Maxie. Does anyone know anything about the cross ram intake that will fit the 440?

I know a ture Maxie intake would not work with 440 heads, I also know that Indy makes repops of the old 426 maxie heads. Ad said nothing about using Indy heads, well that I saw.

When I had the Maxie it was pretty much a narrow band fast spinner with steep gear's.

RPM range, and street manners is what I want to know about. Old Maxie pulled to 7000 RPM's with the big head ports and 628 lift cam.

If I sell the Charger, ill fated and hope the bugs will be gone 440 will go into the 68 Runner. Compression will be right at 9.45 and may have the 356's heads worked a little. I donot want a nother BB Mopar that rap's out like a small block Chevy. 

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

Ken,

If it has a standard 440 port window the manifold is most likely an old Edelbrock str-14. The str stands for "street tunnel ram". These manifolds have poor street manners and are more geared towards high (engine) speed operation. There are issues with fuel distribution and puddling that can be corrected. i remember hearing about an old direct connection bulletin that dealt with mods to the str manifolds to make them run better. These are popular with the NSS guys. Nostalgia super stock requires a dual 4 setup to compete in that class.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cudaken

Ron, I know what a STR is and it was not one. I could not see any bolts for changing lids. I was looking at a STR 6-Pack some time ago and Neil talked me out of it. Guess I need to get more details. Seller was making the whole engine and selling them on E-bay for $8200 buy it now with carbs. I guess for that prices they could have been the Indy heads.

Cuda Ken

If I can post, STR I all most bought.
I am back

firefighter3931

So it's not a str-14.....that's interesting ! Wonder what it is.....can you get some pics ? The str 6-pack looks neat but didn't run very well from what i've heard allthough i've never owned one. The wiend high rise 6-pack was supposed to be a good piece and it too had a removable top from what i remember. Allmost looked like a short tunnel ram.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Found some pics of the Weiend high rise 6-pack....cool looking manifold. I bet this would work well with a double 4bbl top plate !  :devil:

Ron

cudaken

Ron, I know that intake as well. On the STR I packed of at $1300 and carbs and air cleaner was NOS. Ed and I became friends (seller) as well. He may still have it, winning bidders would not pay 2 times. One of the reasons we became friends, I told him why I was not going to bid again. Think power range was 4500 to 7000 RPM's.

I will see if I can find the listing again.

Cuda Ken
I am back

ScottW

Ken, follow the link - it might be the intake your talking about:

http://www.aandatrans.com/

Follow the menu Chrysler Engine -> Intake

1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1974 Dodge Charger SE 360/4v Sunroof

cudaken

That is it Scott, boy they are proud of it :) Here is the link of the one on E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/426-440-MAX-WEDGE-REBUILT-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ8016614103QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Has the eddie heads and the old 284 MP Cam so street manners mat not be that bad.

Anyone here use one on a mid grade engine. Might go for mid 12's this time around but manly a street car. Can't help it, I like the flash.

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

Quote from: cudaken on November 26, 2005, 08:10:07 AM
That is it Scott, boy they are proud of it :) Here is the link of the one on E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/426-440-MAX-WEDGE-REBUILT-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ8016614103QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Has the eddie heads and the old 284 MP Cam so street manners mat not be that bad.

Anyone here use one on a mid grade engine. Might go for mid 12's this time around but manly a street car. Can't help it, I like the flash.

Cuda Ken

Yep, i've seen that one too, kinda pricey but supposed to be a good piece. AA is casting those for Mopar Performance if i'm not mistaken. I thought you were talking about an older casting....

Forget the hydraulic 284 cam, go right to a solid. The Comp xe282s idles nicer than the 284 hydraulic and kills it on power. For a max wedge freak, this manifold on top of Vegas Mike's engine would be the ultimate street setup.   :devil: Someone is even repopping the MW exhaust manifolds.   :thumbs:

Ron

cudaken

Ron, I was looking at Mikes posting and asked about the cam he running. I was also thinking about calling Dennies and see if he could make a copy of the 528 MP stick but as a Hyd cam. I hate messing witth valve lash. OK, I am old and lazy.

Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

Quote from: cudaken on November 26, 2005, 08:59:46 AM
I hate messing witth valve lash. OK, I am old and lazy.

Ken

You can't be that lazy   :nana: It's only a 1/2 hr job once a year to set lash. Once you go solid, you'll never go back...stronger torque, better horsepower and improved idle....juice sticks are for old ladies   :devil:

Ron

cudaken

Hum, wasnt onces a year when I was racing the Maxie. More like onces a week.

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

Quote from: cudaken on November 26, 2005, 10:09:29 AM
Hum, wasnt onces a year when I was racing the Maxie. More like onces a week.

Cuda Ken

Ken, the modern flat tappet mechanical grinds are tight lash....don't require frequent adjustments.

Ron

max

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 26, 2005, 08:45:49 AM
Quote from: cudaken on November 26, 2005, 08:10:07 AM

Cuda Ken

Yep, i've seen that one too, kinda pricey but supposed to be a good piece. AA is casting those for Mopar Performance if i'm not mistaken. I thought you were talking about an older casting....

Forget the hydraulic 284 cam, go right to a solid. The Comp xe282s idles nicer than the 284 hydraulic and kills it on power. For a max wedge freak, this manifold on top of Vegas Mike's engine would be the ultimate street setup.   :devil: Someone is even repopping the MW exhaust manifolds.   :thumbs:

Ron

there are several people that carry repo MW exhaust manifolds and some that are being passed off as NOS. the best repo MW exhaust manifolds carry a casting # 413426440. i believe Mancinni racing is carry them and i'm thinking they are around $700.00.

the original MW intake will work on a set of stock 440 heads, but it's not the best set up in the world but they will work and i have done it. there is a special thing you have to do to the heat cross over to make it work :devil: 

Lightning

Mopar Performance is selling new MW heads and the intake too. dunno how much though, I'll have to go to the Dodge lot and find out monday.
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

John_Kunkel

Bolting a Max Wedge crossram to standard 440 heads will often result in a vacuum leak because the Maxie ports are larger than the raised gasket sealing surface on the standard head.   The A&A intake for standard heads has the smaller opening that will seal properly.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

firefighter3931

As JK's pic shows there's a huge port mismatch with a maxwedge intake on a std port head. I can't imagine it running very well with that big of a mismatch....having air/fuel slam into the outside of the port will create a disruption on flow and cause turbulance.

Ron

cudaken

I think it would be a waste as well Ron. Man I for got how big they where. I could stick 4 finguers in the intake port.

Cuda Ken
I am back

max

you guys are right, it's not the best set up in the world to run a MW intake with standard 440 heads but this was back in the early 80's when i did this and back then there was alot of things that wasn't a very good set up :icon_smile_wink:

it sure looked good in that ole 1964 dodge and it ran decent for what it was. it would run with my cammed 440 6 pack that i had during the sametime.

andyf

Here is a cross ram motor that I'm working on at the moment.  This one is a 505 inch short block with Indy EZ heads and a new MP cross ram.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 25, 2005, 07:47:00 PM
Found some pics of the Weiend high rise 6-pack....cool looking manifold. I bet this would work well with a double 4bbl top plate !  :devil:

Ron

My boss had one of those on his 426ci  51 Coronet ----   what a weird looking thing....     fit under the hood though - now he went to a STR manifold with dual quads....     this is his 4th manifold so far
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip