News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to buy original type seam sealer?

Started by timinator, November 26, 2005, 01:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timinator

Does anyone know where to buy original type seam sealer? I'm talking about the thick, black stuff the factory spread on body and floor panel seams. It was usually about 2" to 3" wide and about 1/4" thick.

Troy

I believe 3M makes it. Drop Top knows the actual name/number. I have it somewhere so we'll see who finds it first. :P

UPDATE: Here's his response from the old board:
The stuff that they used from the factory. As far as I know is no longer available. What I use now, comes in a caluking tube. Its made by 3M. Its called seam sealer. Its paintable and comes in white. Just for more information The brushable seam sealer that goes on the inside of the car's floor and body seams is still available and it's made by 3M also.

69hemi also has instructions on his web site. Look under the paint and body section for "Paint Prep" in the menu and read through the steps.
http://www.69hemi.com/bodypaint.html

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ck1

I order two quart cans from Napa last spring and i was told its the same stuff or like what they used is 3M Brushable Seam Sealer, haven't used it yet part number #051135-08656
CJK

Spartan

judging by the number of cut caps under my carpet, it takes probably 5 tubes of the calk gun stuff.   Some spots in my car look as if the guy emptied the gun in the corner.

What do you remove the old stuff with?  some of mine is crumbling and since I am redoing the floor I want to clean it up.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Drop Top

Sence I posted that on the old board. I found the brushable seam sealer. When used right it looks and as far as I'm concerned is just like the sealer that was used in the past. I use it all the time now. Two qts is more then enough to do a whole car. One qt will do the job if your just replaceing part of it.

As far as removing the old. I use a putty knife to get the easy stuff off. If you need to remove the harder stuff. I would sugjest using a fiber wheel from 3M. They call it a strip and clean wheel. It goes on a drill. Works very well for anything from light rust to paint. Make sure you use eye protection. If its not comeing off I wouldn't replace it enless you are stripping the whole inside off the car. If your doing that I would take the car to a Plastic Media Blaster and have it all blasted.