News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

factory disc brakes... B Body what years will work with 69 B Body

Started by bricklayer, September 28, 2009, 05:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bricklayer

Converting 69 charger from drum to disc  looking at 71 charger parts car with disc brakes  will this year B Body work for my application? And does it matter if the 71 was 14 or 15 inch wheels i basicly just need the spindles but he has the calibers and brackets also the rotors. if they are for a 14" wheel  would i just go to NAPA and buy rotors for a 15" wheel is there anything i am missing.... What else should i get from the car for this conversion thanks  tom

ACUDANUT

Nothing. Just take everything off that 71. Wait, your brake pedal linkage might be different (that's all). 14 or 15 inch rims do not change a thing.

bricklayer

Charger RT

71 the calipers are front mounted. If your 69 has a sway bar the calipers will hit the sway bar and prevent you from turning the wheels fully. I have 71 charger discs on my 68. I had to use the 71 sway bar to make it work. That required the lower control arms and K frame.
Tim

chargerhardtop69

That's amazing. I just purchased a '72 complete K member on Monday just for the disc brake set-up to swap out on my '69 Charger R/T. Got it for $200. I'm lucky I read this beforehand or I'd have been pulling hair out. Did you go through all of that trouble to get to the problem? I had not read anywhere that the original sway bar is going to hit. Thanks

ACUDANUT

Charger RT

Since chargerhardtop69 has both setups now he can take a look and report back. Take a look at where the tab for the swap bar links is welded onto the lower control arm. The 72 setup you just got should have it moved inboard more then the 69 arms. This gives more room for the calipers. In 2000 when I put my Charger back together I rebuilt the front end and added the 71 discs I had sitting around to find the wheels would not turn far because the links were to close to the calipers. I took a good look and thought if I drilled some holes I could use the 68 K frame with the 71 sway bar but am not sure if that would work so I just swapped in the 71 K frame I had. I also had to swap out the lower arms to work with the 71 swap bar. I might be able to get a picture of the 71 arm on my 68 this weekend and post it. I moved to Florida 7 years ago and built a garage and have just receintly got some shelfing in place and am starting to unpack all the stuff I brought with me. I have found the 68 K frame and now have it on a sheft 7 foot off the ground. But I haven't come across the sway bar or the lower control arms off the 68 yet.

I was just looking around and found something I should ask and state. I found where they are swapping A body discs on the late 60's B bodys. Are we talking 72 and 71 B body discs or A body. I swapped 71 B body charger onto a 68 B body charger. The thread starter was asking about 71 charger B body brakes. Are we all on the same page?

Found some more. In this link there is a paragragh after the 7th picture that talks about problems with using 70-72 discs and the cure. Be careful counting 2 pictures are so close to one another I counted them as 1 when I first counted. http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disc-main.html
Tim

bricklayer

What would be the Ideal conversion package as far as  model make year of donor parts thanks  tom

Charger RT

the link I posted above seems to give a good run down of the options out there with a how part of the page. It might help.
Tim

chargerhardtop69

Upon comparing my '69 front end with the '72 that I bought I can easily identify the differance between the two. The sway arm mounting points of the '72 lower control arms  are infact more inward and connect on the inside of the radius arms which allows for clearance of the forward mounted calipers. "Charger R/T" was correct with his assesment and I now will do a resto of the 72 K member using all of the components of the re-engineered structure on my '69.

69chargerR/T

I've heard that you can swap the spindles for left to right so you can mount the calipers in the rear. I put 71 e-body disc brakes on my 69 and had the same problem, the calipers hit the sway bar mount. At the time I did not know that you could swap the spindles, so I changed the lower control arms and sway bar from an e-body car. About a year or so later I read somewhere that you can swap the spindles :rotz: 

b5blue

You made the correct move, mounting to the rear can make the flexible hose routing tricky.  :2thumbs:

sloburn68

I AM TRYING TO CONVERT MY 71 DEMON OVER TO THE BIGGER BOLT PATTERN AND USE DISK BRAKES ON THE FRONT CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHAT DONOR CARS WOULD WORK OR WHAT ALL PARTS I WOULD NEED TO BUY :shruggy: IT HAS A 360 STROKED TO A 408 WITH A 150 SHOT OF NITROUS  :2thumbs:THE DRUM BRAKES JUST ARENT ENOUGH  ALSO I SEEM TO BE GOING THROUGH A LOT OF TIRES  :naughty:

b5blue

THERAMMAN

50 % of my calls are people un happy with their choice in power units
power unit =  booster and master cylinder
you cannot beat the factory set up

wayne   theramman.com..............the mopar brake answer man

7dcharger

Are the sway bar mounts on a 70 more inward also? I used 71 Charger disk brakes on my 70 and don't remember having to change anything with the sway bar. I also used the booster and bellcrank linkage from the 71 for some time. The 71 bellcrank is narrower than the 68-70 linkage, so if your using a older booster it will not mate up right without modifications. The 71 booster is also a 11" booster, it is very tight against the inner fender well but it does fit. I have since gone to the correct Bendix booster and bellcrank linkage.    

Cooter

Quote from: sloburn68 on October 07, 2009, 05:58:29 PM
I AM TRYING TO CONVERT MY 71 DEMON OVER TO THE BIGGER BOLT PATTERN AND USE DISK BRAKES ON THE FRONT CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHAT DONOR CARS WOULD WORK OR WHAT ALL PARTS I WOULD NEED TO BUY :shruggy: IT HAS A 360 STROKED TO A 408 WITH A 150 SHOT OF NITROUS  :2thumbs:THE DRUM BRAKES JUST ARENT ENOUGH  ALSO I SEEM TO BE GOING THROUGH A LOT OF TIRES  :naughty:

ANY 1973-76 A-Body car with factory disc brakes....They are the 11" rotor..I'm running them on my 10 sec. Dart right now and haven't had an issue with stopping since the install...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Charger RT

Quote from: 7dcharger on November 01, 2009, 10:10:57 AM
Are the sway bar mounts on a 70 more inward also? I used 71 Charger disk brakes on my 70 and don't remember having to change anything with the sway bar. I also used the booster and bellcrank linkage from the 71 for some time. The 71 bellcrank is narrower than the 68-70 linkage, so if your using a older booster it will not mate up right without modifications. The 71 booster is also a 11" booster, it is very tight against the inner fender well but it does fit. I have since gone to the correct Bendix booster and bellcrank linkage.    
I am pretty sure 70 is the same as 71
Tim

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on October 07, 2009, 05:38:41 PM
I've heard that you can swap the spindles for left to right so you can mount the calipers in the rear. I put 71 e-body disc brakes on my 69 and had the same problem, the calipers hit the sway bar mount. At the time I did not know that you could swap the spindles, so I changed the lower control arms and sway bar from an e-body car. About a year or so later I read somewhere that you can swap the spindles :rotz: 

I have heard/read you shouldn't switch the calipers from side to side. Why not? Is the brake line routing/ attachment the only issue with this swap?
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Ghoste

Essentially yes, but it will also place the bleeder screws in such a position that you can't get all the air out. (or at least I've been told that, I truthfully have never verified it)

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Ghoste on November 08, 2009, 10:59:04 AM
Essentially yes, but it will also place the bleeder screws in such a position that you can't get all the air out. (or at least I've been told that, I truthfully have never verified it)

This is true....I bled mine unmounted with a chunk of wood in place of the pads and rotors in order to get the bled well and still have the hoses fit nice.. They worked great, just a little bit of a pain.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............