News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headers...

Started by Texas Charger, October 08, 2009, 01:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Charger

I know it's probably been asked a million times, but I did search the past articles and came up with a few ideas. I am looking at three header choices and I need to know a few things. I've got a '71 Charger with a 383, collumn shifted auto, and power steering.

Headman street headers: decent price, how do they fit? Are they Ok with a collumn shift?

Dynomax black jack Headers: decent price, but i know absolutely nothing about how they fit with power steering, ect.  :shruggy:

Hooker Competition headers: a little pricey for what I want, how are they in comparison to the others?

Any help or advise would be welcome. I know TTI has a great fit and finish, but I cant afford those at this point. :Twocents: Thanks in advance!

Texas Charger

lisiecki1

out of those I've only run the headmans, fit was good, IIRC i had to ding one tube near the steering box.....i did go through 3 sets due to bottoming out though (they sat fairly low on my car).
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Runner

the hookers are a nicer header, heres a couple pics of a hooker next to a headman.    on this note, ive had decent luck with both headmans and hookers. i have 4 sets of headmans and one set of hookers.

in these pics the new header is the hooker

i was going to sugest a set of thorley headers but they have about doubled in price!!

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

rt green

every header i've ever had almost fit
third string oil changer

dodgecharger72

I have Hedmans on my '72 column shift but its a small block 360. I had to flip the shifter bracket because the header went right through where it would have been

dodgecharger72

Other than that though, it went pretty smooth. Jack up the driver side of the engine a few inches, remove the centerlink, and take off the oil filter.

4aThrill

Have you thought of going with Doug thorley headers? There was an article in either mopar action or mopar muscle on headers for performance and clearance issues. but Doug's they're a great fit, don't hang low well not too low  ;).  or you can go the more expensive route and go with tti if you got the cash to spend. no matter what header you go with you have to due a slight change to your shifter lever/bracket.  :yesnod:

Purple440

I have hedmans on my 440 and it bangs on my steering column and changing plugs is a bitch.  I heard TTI's fit better.

TexasStroker

Quote from: rt green on October 08, 2009, 05:00:44 PM
every header i've ever had almost fit

So true  :rofl:

If you are doing a mild build either should be fine...I've had Hooker's and Dynomax on A-bodies and what I believe are Hedmans on the Charger.  The two are different birds, the Hedmans are a tight fit on the driver's side (to be expected) but clear decent...The main annoyance is changing plugs...What should be a few seconds per plug becomes an obstacle course...just part of the process though, speed and performance traded for convenience!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!