News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

so many electrical problems

Started by 440charger68, October 20, 2009, 02:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

440charger68

okay to start its a 1968 dodge charger 318 and i just dropped in my rebuilt motor and trans. it runs great but my battery is not holding a charge and my battery is new and so is my alternator, and it does not end there, my blinkers nor my windsheild wipers work also. on my car i only have 2 wires that go to the alternator one for field and the other on the stud of the alternator but i have 2 hook ups for field and only one wire. just so many problems any help would be great :2thumbs:
life's a garden, dig it.

b5blue

Do searches here on those topics....I believe one of your fields will need to be grounded as the exact proper alt. would have 1 field lug. keep in mind there is a points type breaker inside the sw for wipers, it could be that, are they 2 or 3 speed? As for the blinkers hows the flasher? Allot of old car electrical problems are just corroded connections here and there, you really need to clean everything you can get to first like all the fuse block clips and bulkhead connector terminals and be ready to drop the column and pull the inst. cluster to gain access to many connectors for cleaning. 

440charger68

i have cleaned everything, the flasher is brand new and its a 2 speed wiper, i had no idea wipers have a breaker. where is it at??
life's a garden, dig it.

b5blue

440charger68

i take it sw means switch right??
life's a garden, dig it.

b5blue

440charger68

sweet :2thumbs: got the alternator to charge my battery and blinkers work just tryin to fix the windsheild wipers :rotz:
life's a garden, dig it.

b5blue

Back N Black

Here is some good info.

Wiper motor testing procedure.

Test #1(Hi speed)

Connect jumper wire from motor case to battery ground.
Connect second jumper wire from battery positive to BROWN lead.
Motor should run hi speed continuously.

Test #2 (Lo speed)

Connect jumper wire from GREEN wire to battery ground.
Join BROWN and RED wires together and connect a jumper wire from battery positive to them.
Motor should run at slower speed.

Test #3 (Park)

Connect jumper lead from GREEN to BROWN wire.
Connect jumper wire from red wire to ground.
Connect jumper wire from Blue wire to battery positive.
Motor should reverse and park.

(Depending on where the motor had stopped the park feature may have a full rotation or very short rotation

ACUDANUT

I have not used wipers on any of my Mopars in so long, I am scared to try.

b5blue

You can do this! You can even get them to park when you turn them off!  :yesnod: