News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this correct for a 69 R/T SE? Taillight piece

Started by triple_green, November 28, 2005, 02:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blown70

I did not know that 69 had a special part,  I thougt only 70's Did?  I think that is what it maybe for?

Tom

Shakey

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Blown70 on November 28, 2005, 02:03:59 PM
I did not know that 69 had a special part, I thougt only 70's Did? I think that is what it maybe for?

Tom

Yep, that's off a "70. :cheers:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

triple_green

But  69 R/T se should be organisol around the taillights , right?

Thanks!
3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Blown70

Quote from: triple_green on November 28, 2005, 02:47:52 PM
But   69 R/T se should be organisol around the taillights , right?

Thanks!
3X

I think that they use a Black Satin,  Not sure that oranisol(spelling ) is avail.  Yes they should be a semi-flat black color.

Tom

Shakey

No texture to the paint on the tail panel of a '69.

hemigeno

Quote from: Shakey on November 28, 2005, 03:14:40 PM

Shakey, is your car a St. Louis-built car?   The reason I ask is because that supposedly does make a difference in the tail panel treatment.   Here's a quote from Dave Patik's sheet on "How Painted-on Blackouts & Stripes Were Originally Painted":

Taillight panel was always blacked out on 1968-69 Charger...
Taillight panel area to be blacked out is carefully masked off by hand.
Black Organosol, a textured black lacquer, is sprayed over the sanded red oxide primer, but only where the black will be.   No overspray is allowed on areas that will be body color...   Lacquer paint dries fast.   It can't be sprayed over enamel, because lacquer will lift enamel (ed. which is why the Organosol was sprayed on first)
St. Louis assembly plant ("G" build code) 1968-1969 Charger taillight panel used 'Black Low Gloss Enamel DAY 5X9 M.S. PA10-3.'
1970 Chargers painted the following colors could omit the taillight panel blackout:
EB7 Medium Dark Blue Metallic
EF8   Medium Dark Green Metallic
FT6   Medium Dark Tan Metallic
TX9   Black
...Black Organosol can't be sanded

Incidentally, I haven't the foggiest notion as to what the terminology used to describe the St. Louis taillight panel paint means, apart from the obvious fact that it's a low-gloss black paint.   Hamtramck Chargers got Organosol though, apparently.   1970 Chargers were built at St. Louis, but I honestly don't know if they got Organosol or the Low-gloss Black.   David's sheet only mentions the use of Low-gloss for 68-69 Chargers.   I'm not much help on that topic.

:shruggy:

Geno

Shakey

Maybe I am outta line!   :shruggy:

My car was built in Hamtramck, MI.  I was under the impression that the tail panel on the '69 was a flat black, with no texture like the '70's.  The fellow who I purchased my car from was/is quite versed in Mopar's so I figured it to be correct.

Either way, I am not going to change it, at least until I have everything else completed.

694spdRT

Quote from: hemigeno on November 28, 2005, 03:35:23 PM
Quote from: Shakey on November 28, 2005, 03:14:40 PM

Shakey, is your car a St. Louis-built car?   The reason I ask is because that supposedly does make a difference in the tail panel treatment.   Here's a quote from Dave Patik's sheet on "How Painted-on Blackouts & Stripes Were Originally Painted":

Taillight panel was always blacked out on 1968-69 Charger...
Taillight panel area to be blacked out is carefully masked off by hand.
Black Organosol, a textured black lacquer, is sprayed over the sanded red oxide primer, but only where the black will be.   No overspray is allowed on areas that will be body color...   Lacquer paint dries fast.   It can't be sprayed over enamel, because lacquer will lift enamel (ed. which is why the Organosol was sprayed on first)
St. Louis assembly plant ("G" build code) 1968-1969 Charger taillight panel used 'Black Low Gloss Enamel DAY 5X9 M.S. PA10-3.'
1970 Chargers painted the following colors could omit the taillight panel blackout:
EB7 Medium Dark Blue Metallic
EF8   Medium Dark Green Metallic
FT6   Medium Dark Tan Metallic
TX9   Black
...Black Organosol can't be sanded

Incidentally, I haven't the foggiest notion as to what the terminology used to describe the St. Louis taillight panel paint means, apart from the obvious fact that it's a low-gloss black paint.   Hamtramck Chargers got Organosol though, apparently.   1970 Chargers were built at St. Louis, but I honestly don't know if they got Organosol or the Low-gloss Black.   David's sheet only mentions the use of Low-gloss for 68-69 Chargers.   I'm not much help on that topic.

:shruggy:

Geno

My '69 Charger was built the last week of production at the St. Louis plant and it did not have a textured finish before I did the resto. I repainted it using Totally Auto's non textured satin black.

In addition, my '68 Charger is a Hamtramck car that the tailpanel has never been painted on and I cannot see it having a texture to it, unless age has affected it.   :shruggy:     
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

hemigeno

My Daytona (Hamtramck-built) still bears its original paint too, and it has a somewhat rough/coarse texture to it.  You can tell it's not flat-black paint, at least in my opinion.

Shakey

It looks like it could have a slight texture to it, say something like soot!  Correct?

hemigeno

No, this is where the soot was...     :icon_smile_big:

694spdRT

Hemigeno,

I don't think the '68 has that texture to it...I will check when I get home tonight.

Ty
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

chargervert

69s were semi gloss black on the tailpanel,and 70 Charger tailpanels were body color.1970 Chargers that did not recive the black rear finish panel,had the same chrome bezel around the tail light lens that came on the 69 Charger,and had the Charger emblem with the arrow between the taillights.They did not have the two chrome boomerange corner chrome moldings,or the stainless steel strip that accented the outer edges of the 69 tailpanel.

hemigeno

Quote from: chargervert on November 28, 2005, 04:45:56 PM
69s were semi gloss black on the tailpanel,

Mine was never semigloss black... even before the soot...   :icon_smile_big:

wiging19

My brother in law has a 1970 charger 500 that needs this piece.   Do you have any suggestions on where I can find this part.   His car is pretty much all original except for the basic items like wires, hoses and filters.   Any leads would be appreciated.   Thanks. :-\

Shakey

Quote from: wiging19 on November 30, 2005, 06:24:28 PM
My brother in law has a 1970 charger 500 that needs this piece.   Do you have any suggestions on where I can find this part.   His car is pretty much all original except for the basic items like wires, hoses and filters.   Any leads would be appreciated.   Thanks. :-\

Click the e-bay link at the top of this thread.

Welcome!