News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel Sizes - Battling Everyones Dilemma

Started by BLUE68RT4ME, October 30, 2009, 10:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MackDa600

Well finally my turn to reach this point  :icon_smile_big:

I just ordered some new shoes for the 68 Charger. Questions is will they fit!

Front: 17x7 with 225/50/r17
Rear: 17x8 with 275/50/r17

Anybody see any fitment issues here? I don't want any rub or bottom out.

69white hat

if you have the proper backspace, no problem. Those wheels are pretty little.

BLUE68RT4ME

I'd agree.  In front you should have no concerns at all unless you have some huge custom calipers or something and not enough clearance.  I really doubt you need to worry though.  As for the back, as long as you have the right backspacing your golden.  If you look at some of the first posts I put up on this thread, my 15's were about a foot wide and 295 tall I think.  They were huge.  Granted I had air shocks at the time but they were fine no matter what.  If I was loaded down heavy, maybe.  Let's say if were picking up chicks, I would just have to make sure none of them tipped the scales! ;)

Your concerns will be completely eliminated if you go onto the site we posted earlier in this thread.  It shows the location of the tires/wheels in the back of the Charger (Gen II) and allows you to change your perimeters as fits your purchase.  That thing was as good as gold for me!  Oh... I just went to the page and see he took it down.  I have sent an email to him and asked if he'd be willing to put it up again.  I'll keep everyone informed if I hear back from him.

So, with that said, I'd say go to the 2nd page of this thread and use the graph and detail that DKN1997 posted.  That's perfect.  The key is to keep your mounting surface centered in the wheel and your tire will be too.  I think you're safe, if you do that, up until about 12.5" wide.  At that point you're very close to the fender lip and the frame rail/leaf springs.

I'm going off memory here so if I'm wrong, please someone correct me because I don't want him to have any issues!   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Last thing, congrats on getting to this point.  I know it's exciting.  Everyone of us has been there and I was jumping out of my skin when I got mine!  Hope it turns out well!

Mark

Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

Great news everyone!  I was able to contact the guy who had the vexer wheel and tire selection tool up online and he was willing to put it back online for us!  We should be very grateful he was willing to do so without requiring money or anything!  Sending out a big thanks!   :2thumbs: :cheers:

So, here it is again!  Enjoy!  http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/wheelguide
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Mopar Nut

Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on April 11, 2014, 11:07:32 PM
Great news everyone!  I was able to contact the guy who had the vexer wheel and tire selection tool up online and he was willing to put it back online for us!  We should be very grateful he was willing to do so without requiring money or anything!  Sending out a big thanks!   :2thumbs: :cheers:

So, here it is again!  Enjoy!  http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/wheelguide
:2thumbs:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

XS29L9B2

i change my rims

these wheels are ROTA RKR (drift wheels) in 17x8.5 off set -10 mm my tires in front 225/40/17 in good yers eagle F1 and my rears tyres are 255/40/17 in continantale sport 3

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

NHCharger

Not sure if this has been posted. I found this to be helpful when trying to calculate for my new tires. I checked it against some BFG's that I had on my 71 and found that the tires were only 1/8" wider than what this program showed.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

comet_666

This is cool too.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

lets you look at both tires side by side in side view.

darkside

Will 15x8's with 4 1/4 back spacing and 235 60 15 fit on the front with no rubbing issues ?car is a 69 with drums , going with crager s/s rim.

69white hat

I put 18X8's with a 4.5" backspace and 245 35 rubber on. And there was no problem with that.

NHCharger

I looked for over two months at all these wheel threads. Have chrome mags on my other two Chargers so I needed something different. Thought about going all black but a photochop didn't look good. Ended up with the American Racing Vectors. 15x8.5 with 275/60's on the back. 15x8 with 235/60's on the front. Probably could have gone 295/60 on the back but didn't want to push it. And- NO, I'm not a DOH fan. Not a fan of the 18's on old muscle and the engine build blew my budget. Wheel package cost me $1,400.00. couldn't justify spending that on just one wheel/tire.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

69white hat

comet_666

comet_666

Here are a few of mine..

comet_666

And another

comet_666

NHCharger

:cheers: Looks great Comet  :cheers:
What tire sizes you running?
Did you get the rears widened to 10.5" like you were talking about?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

comet_666

Thanks NH!
They are 295/50/15
I really was going to get them widened but I like the way they look right now.

69white hat

Gots my new wheels!!!! :coolgleamA:

Don't mind the fact that I haven't washed the car yet.  They're working on the road here and its f'ed

comet_666

I like those! The whole combo works real well!

Grim Jhaixus

I went dirt cheap summit wheels, 1973 non-SE, 15x8 with 4" bs up front 255/60R15 they fit perfect. In back I have 15x10 with 4" bs and 295/60r15, I'm a full inch out from under the qp. I intend to find a pair of 15x9 with 4.5" bs to fix the issue.
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

familymopar

i finally did it so I figured I would post up here in case it could do anyone else any good in the future. 

My fronts are 18x8 wheels with 4.5" backspace and a +2 offset with 245 45 18 tires.

My rears are 18x9.5 wheels with a 5" backspace and -4 offset with 285 40 18 tires.

Everything fits perfect.  I think it looks good, there are no rubbing issues at all lock to lock, bumps, inclines, anything I have encountered.

The car is on a Hotchkis / Firmfeel suspension that lowered it pretty well also so that affects fit and look.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

familymopar

I did not add photos because the photo is in the signature, but I suppose they may not always be.  So here is a before and after (both pics on the lower suspension).

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

505charger

What brand and model of wheel are you running?